Not Engaged Yet
Options

Thanksgiving family woes

Ok what would you do?

My fiancé and I have been together for several years, and have a baby together. He was adopted and I am close with his bio family, but have never met his adoptive family (they live on the other side of the country). His adoptive dad is dead, and his adoptive mother has severe dementia. FI was married 9 years ago, for 2 years, resulting in my 8yr old SD. He and her go out to visit FI's aunt and uncles on his adopted side (all in their 80's) for thanksgiving. Ex wife has SD this yr for thanksgiving. FI always goes out there for thanksgiving, and wanted me to come along and show our baby to his family. I was very excited.

Last night FI talked to his sister. She says that she talked to their aunt and uncle, and they are VERY uncomfortable with us coming to thanksgiving because they are religious, we have a child out of wedlock and are living together. So they don't want us to come. I was heartbroken. I realize it is THEIR home and their party, however I don't want my daughter to miss out for this ridiculous reason. Yes, she is too young to remember, but one of the uncles is a WW2 vet and wont be around much longer so FI wanted to get a picture of them together. FI says he will call them tonight and see what the deal is. A part of me now thinks he should take the baby and go so he can see his family, but then Im out in the cold. I could go to my family but they would be all "where are FI and the baby?" and be upset. I don't want to explain this to them. I don't want FI to pressure them into inviting us since they obviously don't want us there. I think FI should just go alone if he really wants to go.

side notes- FI mentioned back in march before he told everyone about the baby that he has a serious gf and would like to bring her to THNKSGVNG. They said sure.

They only met ex wife once, and never came to the wedding. 

There are a several divorced family members who will be there, a family member who has been to jail several times, and a cousin who has finally managed to recover from substance abuse. Butttttttt my child and I are satans clones because FI and I don't have a wedding license. wtfffff.

Re: Thanksgiving family woes

• Options
    After hearing that I wouldn't even want to go! I'd say fuck that and have Thanksgiving with my family and your daughter. 
    Why has he never offered to have you come with before? I understand he has your SD but I don't understand why you couldn't go as well. And why is it OK for the baby to go but not the both of you? 

• Options
    lilacck28lilacck28 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited October 2014
    Um, yeah. No. A picture with some old uncle that your daughter won't know and who obviously does not respect you is not worth it. Why would you want a picture of a judgmental person and your daughter? Have your own Thanksgiving.

I DO understand the sentiment. I have a picture of me, as a a toddler, with my dad's grandmother. I always love that picture, and it sparks very distant memories of her. HOWEVER, my dad had a wonderful relationship with her. He would NOT have had a wonderful relationship (and therefore wanted images of them with his baby) with anyone who disrespected my mother (or him) the way your FI's family is disrespecting the two of you.

I would find it very odd, and rather troubling, if your fiance went either by himself, or took your baby to their Thanksgiving, after those types of comments.
  • Options
    bethsmilesbethsmiles member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2014
    Stay home and have your own Thanksgiving. It would be ridiculous for your FI to take your daughter and go without you. It's unfortunate that these people have chosen to be judgmental and mean-spirited but I promise your daughter isn't missing out on anything by not meeting them. They certainly are missing out by refusing to meet her though, I'm sure.

• Options
    Stay home and have your own Thanksgiving with family.  You can invite his rude family, if you'd like.  But state, with the birth of your daughter you would like to start your own family traditions.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards