Wedding Woes

dessert question

as part of the United Way campaign, my office holds a chili cookoff every year - it's turned into a really big event, and with the way the rules are written, there's no vegetarian option. Last year, the GLAD (gay/lesbian/allies) group sponsored a vegetarian table that was catered by a local restaurant. We're planning to do the same thing this year, and I offered to make some desserts, since they will not be holding a bake sale during the event (as they have during past years).

The event is held outside in our uncovered visitors' parking lot, and while we will have a tent, it's still October in Houston - so could easily be in the high 80s or low 90s. I'll have access to refrigerators before the event, and we'll have some coolers outside with us. 

I was thinking of making pineapple upside-down cake and maybe some brownies. i figure anything with icing is out since it probably won't hold up in the heat. 
one of my coworkers is planning to make a blueberry crumble cake. 

cookies would be another option, but i think they'd be more time consuming than the cakes/brownies - the event is Wednesday and we'll be out of town this weekend, so I really only have Monday or Tuesday night to bake. 

WDWWT? Any recommendations of other desserts that would hold up well for a few hours in warm weather? 

Re: dessert question

• Before I even got to the brownies part, that was my first thought.  They seem tailor-made for something like this.  Any kind of bar cookies would be good:  lemon bars/key lime bars, pumpkin spice bars (<-- clicky), something like that.

Pineapple upside down cake sounds really good, too.
  • <3<3<3 pineapple upside down cake.

Also, remind me to never move to Houston.  80s to 90s in October?  No thanks!
  • Brownies were actually INVENTED for things like this :)

my thought was also to do  bar cookies (which, be honest, are really brownies in disguise)--split the difference, brookies?
  • What you have sounds good.  IMO stick with dessert foods that are easy to carry and you'll be golden!!!
  • I got 2 types of Ghirardelli brownie mix (dark chocolate and one with nuts) and a ton of pineapple/maraschino cherries at lunch, so I'm all set. (I should have everything else I need at home.) 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards