Honeymoon Discussions

Christmastime Honeymoon to NYC - Places to Eat / Things To Do?

edited October 2014 in Honeymoon Discussions
Good afternoon, everyone!

Our wedding will occur on December 19th, 2015 and for our honeymoon, we were thinking about hitting up NYC.

I've heard the city is amazing around Christmastime. Even though we live in New Jersey, we've never been to NYC during the holidays (or much at all, actually!)

We plan on seeing the Radio City Christmas Spectacular, visiting Rockefeller Center and the tree, experiencing a Rooftop Bar, visiting Macy’s and FAO Schwartz, walking through Central Park, going to Serendipity for dessert and seeing the Saks Fifth Ave Window Show. 

However, we'll be there for about 3 days and I'm still looking for great places to eat (especially a place for brunch and/or tea and things to do. Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks! 

Re: Christmastime Honeymoon to NYC - Places to Eat / Things To Do?

• Sarabeth's is probably the most famous place for brunch-they have a few locations. The pancakes and Bloody Marys are what they are best known for. It's very crowded and the wait can be long though.

In Midtown there is this tiny place called Nook that is cheap & great for Brunch, but they have like 10 tables so if you don't get there early, you might wait a bit.

If you want to venture out of midtown (and I strongly suggest you do, midtown during the holidays is hell on earth as far as I'm concerned) I also love Supper (East Village) Jones Woods Foundry (Upper East Side) Cafe D'Alsace (Upper East Side) The Wren (East Village) for brunch. 

If you want to do an afternoon tea, I've been to Tea & Sympathy (Greenwich Village-very cramped, somewhat authentic, decent, but I didn't love it). Alice's Tea Cup (they have 3 locations, two on the Upper East Side, one of the Upper West-not an English style tea really, but they have really interesting flavors for their scones, I often will stop by and just pick up a scone to go) and the Crosby Street Hotel (Soho). The Crosby Street Hotel is my favorite English-style tea. The food is very good, the clotted cream is actual clotted cream, and it feels like an "event." 

If you have to eat in Midtown-check out Yelp for places on 9th & 10th avenue-you will find some decent places there. 

If you go to Macy's, steel yourself. It is chaos right before Christmas. Go first thing in the morning. They are open super late that week and you may think "who will be at Macy's at midnight." The answer is: everyone. 

• Tipsy Parson in Chelsea has a really good brunch. I was there very recently. 
  • Be sure to make a reservation at Serendipity! They always have a really long wait around the Holidays.  NYC at Christmas time is a mad house.  So many tourist and you can barely get through the huge crowds.  I work near Macy's and it a nightmare trying to get to work.  That being said- all of the things you listed are wonderful things to experience if you've never been.  If you want to go ice skating, go to Bryant Park- they have cute pop up shops and it isn't as crazy over there.  Best way to find good restaurants is to go on yelp and search by neighborhood. People who live in the boroughs live for yelp and take their reviews pretty serious.  Do try to get out of midtown.  I get so stressed in that area because I'm claustrophobic. 

If you are willing to really explore- the Bronx Botanical Garden has a Christmas train show.  I went last year (I live in the Bronx) and it's pretty cool.  Everything is made out of plants. There are long lines but it's manageable.  If you do that- I totally recommend checking out the "real" little Italy- Arthur Avenue.  But with 3 days- not sure if you'd have time for something like that.  Maybe save it for another weekend trip!

But as I said- use Yelp.  Download the app for your phone and you can find anything your heart desires.  I use it all the time when I'm out with friends at night.

I find SoHo to be much quieter during the holiday season and they have a lot of nice restaurants.
  • Hands down Poco in Alphabet city is our favorite spot to Brunch...and I have also heard the dinners are just as good.  

Other places we have had good meals at are The Park in Chelsea near the Highline (which you have to walk while being in NYC my favorite part of the city); East of Eight in Chelsea; and Maryann's there are a few locations and have very good Mexican food.

Enjoy your honeymoon planning!!!!  

• I would avoid Sarabeth's. It is way overrated.

If you are lucky enough to be here when there is fresh snow, a walk in Central Park is a must. I thought the Radio City Spectacular was ok, but you may be better off trying to get tickets to a Broadway show instead.

I echo what PPs said, stay out of midtown if you can. It is so crowded, esp at Christmas.
  • Hands down Poco in Alphabet city is our favorite spot to Brunch...and I have also heard the dinners are just as good.  

Other places we have had good meals at are The Park in Chelsea near the Highline (which you have to walk while being in NYC my favorite part of the city); East of Eight in Chelsea; and Maryann's there are a few locations and have very good Mexican food.

Enjoy your honeymoon planning!!!!  

Love Poco! good food and quick to refill on the all you can drink. 
    I also love Kittichai for brunch (Soho) and Calle Ocho which is UWS aycd sangria
  • I ditto Sependipity (Serendipity III I think it's official name!).

We are also huge fans of Thomas Keller, so hitting up the Bouchon Bakery would be a must for us!
  • I haven't been there yet (even though I used to work a few blocks away) but despite the long line, check out Dominique Ansel Bakery for a fresh cronut.  I've had a cronut from there and they are to die for.  

• Best brunches in NYC - Hundred Acres, Cookshop (owned by the same people) - both delicious.  Clinton St Bakery have amazing pancakes but a very long wait.

If you are in NYC on a weekday, a lot of the fancy restaurants have awesome lunch specials.  Bouley has a 5 course lunch for $55.  Morimoto has a lunch special for $30, ABC Kitchen is always great (for lunch or dinner - fresh ingredients, Jean George restaurant), Gramercy Tavern has a good lunch special.  

Congrats on your (very soon!) wedding!
  • Two of my favorite restaurants: Boqueria (tapas bar - very authentic and delicious). & Otto (Mario Batali's cheaper restaurant, awesome casual Italian).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards