Chit Chat

NWR: How prepared are you?

13»

Re: NWR: How prepared are you?

• On the plus side,DH is an EMT and a hunter.  He also excels at making decisions with bringing emotion into the equation.  I am not a complainer, and I'm resourceful by nature.  I think we'd fare ok.

On that note, gather round for a story about a little thing called Superstorm Sandy. . . . . at the time we were living with MIL.  Trees started falling all over the yard, near the house and the lights went out.  DH decided it would be safer at a hotel.  I threw some clothes in a bag and grabbed a few bottles of wine.  Then I waited for 30 minutes while MIL put on her face and did her hair.  We got to the hotel (no risk of flooding or trees falling like at home) when their power went out.  MIL demanded we go home.  We rode out the storm there.  We spent about 7 days without power.  Mind you, we still had running water, a gas fireplace, and the fridge and tv plugged into the neighbor's generator.  We sat around in a warm house, eating and drinking while watching the news on tv.  As we watched all the people whose houses were flooded, no heat, no water, no power, etc. she spent those days commenting on how awful we had it. . . . I should probably spend more natural disasters alone!!

• levioosa said:
    levioosa said:
    Thank you @beethery and @emmaa

@princessleia22 most likely a handgun, since I'm guessing that the majority of handguns probably have way less kickback than say a standard rifle (I could be totally wrong though).  I don't have the need to conceal, but I always like the option.  (Is that weird?)

I was just thinking about this last night, and I really want to be comfortable and safe around/with guns.  I was thinking of going to the range next week with some friends to learn.  Most of my friends who shoot are males from the military, and kickback to them means something totally different.  

I totally understand wanting the option to carry.  I have a gun that I bought for carry, I have a conceal carry permit, but I very rarely carry a gun.  I have taken it when I had work in not-so-safe areas of town or when walking the dogs at night sometimes. A few years ago there was a serial rapist/murderer in my area, so going out at night alone to walk the dogs seemed like a much better idea with a weapon (we also keep pepper spray attached to the leash).  But, I usually just use them for having fun at the shooting range and the confidence of knowing it's available, and that I know how to use it, if someone were to break into my home.

DH carries more than I do, but most of the time he just keeps it in his truck.  He works in some pretty rough areas of town and wants it to be available at those times.

I haven't looked up the laws for my state, but I have a feeling they're probably going to be very strict (as far as carrying without a permit, etc).

Definitely check your locals laws.  And I would recommend a conceal carry course, even if you don't plan to actually carry.  It is a good way to learn the laws and gives you the option if you ever did want to carry. I live in AZ where you don't need any permit to carry... but DH and I got permits anyway just for the training and education. And it allows us to carry out of state (not all states though) if needed.  We actually did that before we bought our first guns because we wanted to make sure we knew the laws and knew how to be responsible with them before we had them in our home. There are too many irresponsible people out there carrying guns that don't know how to properly use them (especially in AZ with no required permits, so any idiot with an ego can be packing), so learning the laws or getting training is never a bad thing.  

Also, if you are just starting to get into guns, I'll warn you that they can be very addictive.  We started out thinking it would be a good occasional hobby, but we got way more into it than we had expected and are at the range all the time. Which is great, but it can also be an expensive hobby. But, it is a great way to let off steam after a bad day.

I second this. I have had my handgun for about 2 years now and do not conceal. I haven't taken the class yet but am going to in the near future. I COULD conceal my gun but it would have to be on my back or higher up my torso. 

I have grown up around guns and own three of my own: a shotgun, rifle, and handgun. I respect guns. I think it is important to respect and be knowledgeable of guns but not scared of them. I have taken a hunters' safety course and that something they taught a lot of. They also taught the importance of cleaning your weapons regularly. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards