Oregon
Options

Oregon Honeymoon?

Hi Ladies! 

I'm from Northern California and my fiance and I are throwing around the idea of staying on the Oregon Coast for our honeymoon (for a week in November).  Nothing is set in stone - except that I really want to go to Salem (which is 1.5-2 hours from where we think we might stay). 

Any suggestions for things we must see or do?  We like the outdoors (hiking, kayaking, etc) and sightseeing (and shopping!!) 

Thanks so much!
Photobucket

Re: Oregon Honeymoon?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    There are a lot of great places to go on the Oregon coast. Do you want to just visit Salem for a day or two or do you want to spend the entire time there. Salem is pretty centrally located and you really could get to everything from there. For example, you could get to the coast range and go hiking (some good waterfalls and old growth forests), the coast (Yachats, Newport, Lincoln City and Oceanside are some really nice towns to stay in which come to mind). You could also get to the cascades and go whitewater rafting or kayaking on the McKenzie (I wouldn't kayak alone there unless you are pretty experienced there though - I tipped once and thought I was going to drown when I got sucked into an eddy). There are also great hikes up that way.

I'm not a cyclist, but I know that there are also a lot of cycling trails you could do if you got a book (both road and mountain).

If you're not married to the idea of the coast, Bend is a great place to go for outdoor activities as well.

I've only lived here 2 years but have done a lot of exploring in that time. Let me know if you have any more questions about specifics.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oops, I didn't really read your first question all that well. Looks like you already know where you are going to stay and are asking for specifics. Is that right?

In that case - hikes along the coast like Tahkenitch, Hobbit Trail/beach (near Heceta Head) and Depot Bay (may be able to see grey whales here) are cool. Also, the coast range has some good hikes. Plenty of kayaking too, but it is better more towards the Cascade range (McKenzie and Willamette rivers) or further south (Rogue). Most of the coastal towns have cute little down towns for shopping and Newport has the aquarium which is small but good.
  • Options
    PiruPiru member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're probably staying in Cave Junction at Vertical Horizons, which is a bunch of treehouses with lots of activities. It's near the coast as well as the caves.

Some other potential places in Oregon- Wildlife Safari, white water rafting on the Rogue River, Bend + Ashland are very pretty places with lots of outdoorsey stuff, Klamath Falls is also very pretty.
    And if you should die before me, ask if you can take a friend. Pick a flower, close your eyes,and drift away- STP
    June siggy challenge!
  • Options
    PiruPiru member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh, and Crater Lake is a must see!
    And if you should die before me, ask if you can take a friend. Pick a flower, close your eyes,and drift away- STP
    June siggy challenge!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I live in Salem - what were you hoping to see while you're here? Silver Creek Falls is only 30 minutes away and gorgeous. Although I prefer North Fork, which is part of an old growth forest and has several parks and various swim areas and hiking trails. Sort of a local place, I can give you directions if you end up being interested.  Although you're getting married in November, it may be a tad cold for a lot of the outdoorsy things.

What kind of honeymoon on the coast were you thinking? If you are going for romantic there are lots of small cottages you can rent in Depot Bay or in the smaller towns around Seaside. If you were hoping for a town with some stuff to do, Seaside (up near Astoria) has a small beach town carnival type feel to it, and a wide flat beach. Lincoln City has some shopping and a few art galleries.  Depot Bay has whale watching if you time it right. Newport has the aquarium and the historic bayfront. Florence has sand dunes and is a lot of fun if you are into dune buggies and the like.

Or you could drive up Hwy 101 and just hit several beaches. Salem is only an hour and twenty minutes down Hwy 22 from Lincoln City. I love the coast in October, especially if you luck out and there are big storms at night.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Aimee8314Aimee8314 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    wow! You guys are a wealth of information!  Thank you so much!!   We're staying in a timeshare - I'm not sure where - there aren't many there.  My FI has family in Bend that we rarely see so we were planning to at least swing by there as well.  Good to know it's a nice place to go too - we know NOTHING about the areas at all.

Thanks for the warning on the eddy too - I'm definitely not an experienced kayaker.  I pretty much paddle and stay as stiff as I can so I don't tip even a little. haha.

Good luck and with all your weddings. :)
    Photobucket
  • Options
    DramaGeekDramaGeek member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011

I want to be sure I understand this...

Your plan is to start from Coloma and drive to someplace on the Oregon Coast.  That is 1 day.  Then you want to drive from the coast to Bend, OR.  That's another day.  Finally, you'll drive from Bend back to Coloma, for a 3rd day of driving.  Your honeymoon is 1 week, leaving you 4 days to enjoy yourselves and visit with your fi's family.

If I got that right, then I'm going to suggest you choose either the Oregon Coast or Bend, not both.  There's plenty to do in both places that you can easily spend a week in either place and I think you'd feel rushed and like you spent all your time in the car if you were to do both the coast and Bend.  If you really want to do Salem (is there a reason?  Other than it being our capital there isn't much happenin' in Salem), then stick to the coast.  But realize November on the Oregon coast is likely to be wet and gray and rainy.  I love it, but not everyone does!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We are doing the honeymoon a month after the wedding (We're getting married in October) and we have a week in the timeshare - not necessarily a week total to do what we want.  The thought was to visit Bend and stay with family for a day or two and then head out to wherever we decide to go and stay at the timeshare.  I don't really have a reason to visit Salem. lol  It's my cat's name?  I don't know.  lol  So yeah - I can definitely skip that.

I don't think there were many choices for the timeshare.....let me look.

Okay so for the time we're looking at - the only choices are:
    Eagle Crest in Redmond, OR
    Ridge at Sunriver or The Pines at Sunriver in Sunriver, OR
    Schooner Landing in Newport
    and Whispering woods in Welches (which has no whirlpool tub. booo!)

Any thoughts? 
    Thanks so much!!!
    Photobucket
  • Options
    DramaGeekDramaGeek member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011

Redmond and Sunriver are both within about 30 minutes of Bend, so if you're already planning on staying with family there I might not bother doing the timeshare there...unless you want your own space, in which case I'd (personally) do one of the ones in Sunriver.

The one in Newport is on the coast, or at least close to the beach.  You could easily do some day trips from there, and there are things to do in Newport, too.  Besides, there is nothing better than snuggling up to your honey with a fire going and watching the storms on the beach.  We go most years for our anniversary in December and we love it.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Yeah!!!  I'm so glad I asked.  Thanks so much.  I'm printing this so I can talk to FI about it - and finally get something booked. :)

Photobucket
  • Options
    reddy123reddy123 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I vote for Newport, but I am biased because we are having our honeymoon on the coast. I agree with PP that you should pick the coast or bend and avoid all that driving. There isn't anything in Salem worth anything, so unless you have family there, skip it and go to Silver Creek Falls!
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would visit family in Bend and then stay at the timeshare at the coast. Skip Salem, it's nothing. Newport is awesome in and of itself. Tons of little shops and such. And the beach in Oregon during that time is amazing. Stormy nights on the Oregon coast are beautiful. I'd also say do a day trip up th coast Depoe Bay has some cool little shops, typical coast town. Then drive up to Lincoln City if you want to shop. As mentioned they have some art galleries and an outlet mall. I used to live 30 minutes from there and worked at the mall so I don't think of it as much of a vacation, but if you want to shop, that's the place to go.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hey Brides- I manage the Phoenix Inn Suites in Bend, Oregon.. If you are looking for accomodations for your wedding, or after, we can help. Discounted rates for wedding parties. www.phoenixinn.com/bend 541-317-9292.. Love to help
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards