Oregon

Wedding Planner!

Are you guys planning on getting a wedding planner, or doing everything yourself?!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Wedding Planner!

• edited December 2011

My mom and I are going back and forth right now on whether or not to get one. We are both really organized people and can throw a party with our eyes closed, but we know a wedding is a much bigger event. I would LOVE to get at least a day-of coordinator so family members can actually enjoy the day and not have to "work", but my hands are kind of tied financially (a.k.a. my parents are paying for the wedding- I'm a fresh out of grad. school teacher). I am hoping she comes around to the idea. Maybe some feedback on here will convince her how invaluable one would be! What are your thoughts??

• edited December 2011

When I was getting married there was a group of us that became good friends through this board and many of us swapped Day Of coordinating duties with one another.  You might see if there is another Knottie that would be interested in a similar arrangement- it worked out great for us!

Alternatively, Kami Aguilar at WedPortland offers Day-Of services, and she's great to work with.  It will absolutely be worth the money for you and your family to not have to worry about making sure things are done the way you want.

• evabo31evabo31 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Brian and I are paying for the wedding ourselves and have a strict budget to adhere to. (Mostly because I refuse to go into financial ruin over our wedding). I think we're going to go the "day of" coordinator route. This way everyone will be able to enjoy the day. 
    October 2011 Siggy: Wedding Preview
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I was very interested in a "day-of" coordinator as well.  I am on a tight budget and found that many of them charged upwards of $500 just for the day.  Yikes! 
    A good DJ can act as MC and can help eliminate the need for one during the ceremony and reception.
  • velocitygrlvelocitygrl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ditto PP- many of the brides on this board acted as each other's Day-of-Coordinators. 

I was planning an OR wedding from Colorado, so we hired a wedding planner for the whole she-bang.  We used Nora Totonchy Shiels from Bridal Bliss, and she was absolutely worth the money.  She really saved my sanity on our wedding day.
  • DramaGeekDramaGeek member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think if you are local, there's really no need for one.  You may want a DOC if your venue doesn't supply one.  It's when you're planning from out of town that a planner can be very helpful.

I am by no means a professional, but I have been a DOC a few times and would be happy to help anyone who needs it.
  • southpaw97209southpaw97209 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Even if you aren't a professional, you cannot solicit work or business on this site!
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    southpaw, my apologies.  My understanding of the knot rules was that knotties could offer help to other knotties free of charge.  Obviously I misunderstood.
  • southpaw97209southpaw97209 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Aha!  You're right, as long as you're not charging for services.  My mistake.  It sounded like you were looking for payment for your services.
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My bad!  I should have been more clear that by help I truly meant help, not that I'd be willing to do it for a price.
  • edited December 2011

We're getting a professional DOC, or really "month of coordinator". It makes me think of paying for full coverage insurance on your car - its a waste of money if everything goes OK but if something does happen to go wrong it will be well worth the money.

I don't really get the point of a full wedding coordinator since I have all of you and my trusty excel spread sheets to keep me organized. I don't know what they could do that it wouldn't be faster for me to do myself.

• edited December 2011
    We used Molli and the team at Soiree and it was a godsend.  We had a small wedding, nothing super lavish, but having someone there to smooth things out was awesome.  My mom was totally into it--she knew it would fall on her if we didn't hire anyone.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards