Not Engaged Yet
Options

What Do I Wear? Wedding with Gap

So I'm attending my friend's wedding today - I left this attire thing very last minute because I was traveling for work and was helping plan a party for a cousin.

The ceremony starts around 2-2:30 PM in one location. The reception starts around 6-7 PM in another location (45 min apart). The reception is black tie optional.

What the heck do I wear that can do double duty for an afternoon church wedding (pretty conservative church from what I can see) and an evening reception that's black tie optional (what the hell is that anyway)? I really don't want to change outfits, although I may bring comfortable clothes for in between.

Any ideas for this? HELP! Also any other suggestions for what to do during the gap? A movie maybe?

Re: What Do I Wear? Wedding with Gap

• Options
    Wow...your friend is super rude. First, black-tie optional is not a thing so I wouldn't wear black-tie because your friend clearly isn't having a black-tie event. If you don't want to change in between (I wouldn't either!) I think something like any of these would be appropriate:

• Options
    Oh and as for what to do during the gap, I would probably go with some friends (assuming you know other people) to bar. If I was doing the wedding solo a movie or reading a book at a coffee shop are options too. Maybe their is a museum you could go to?

• Options
    I like @bethsmiles options, but if the church is really conservative I would add a shawl/button up sweater/blazer/etc.; something to cover your shoulders and arms for the ceremony.

• Options
    Thank you @AuroraRose41‌ @bethsmiles‌ your tips were very helpful!

I went with a midi length floral dress that I had, conservative enough for church but fun enough for later I hope. And I think we will check the local area for museums or barring that a movie (we don't know many other people going).
  • Options
    I think that dress will be perfect! I hope you have fun at the wedding despite the gap and hopefully that is your friend's only etiquette faux pas.

• Options
    I agree, that dress looks awesome! I hope you have fun despite the gap!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards