Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums
Options

Acne Flareups

I have 1 year until my wedding, Oct, 2015, I have always struggled with acne. I'm 27 and still deal with outbreaks, I have sensitive skin so I have to be careful with what products I use. I'd really like to get my outbreaks and flareups under control before my wedding so I can minimize the chance of wedding day acne. I'd rather not see a dermatologist, I've been down that road before about 12 years ago. I've also worked in a Pharmacy and I know how costly gels, creams etc can be!

Any suggestions on products, home remedies etc?

Re: Acne Flareups

• Options
    If you truly have a problem with acne, then I would recommend seeing a dermatologist to get to the root of the problem.  No over the counter/home remedy is really going to work if you have always struggled with acne.  I hate to be the bearer of bad news but it's true.  There are so many options for someone your age, (I am your same age and have struggled with acne what feels like my whole life too) I think it would be worth your time to go and see a dermatologist. 
  • Options
    I am 28 and also still prone to trouble skin every now and then. I notice when I am eating unhealthy and drinking too much alcohol, I breakout. When I'm drinking lots of water and staying healthy, great skin. Drinking lots of water is magical. I'm hoping to keep up the good work until my wedding (also Oct 2015-- yay!) which I hope will help with both weight loss and good skin.

Good luck OP!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options

@peachy13

Congrats and good luck! Thank you for posting, I appreciate it!

• Options
    Take a look at Mario Badescu products (they sell them at Ulta or online). I started have bad acne flare ups in my early to mid twenties and this is the first line I've seen really help me. I still get the occasional breakout especially when I am not drinking enough water. It's supposed to be god for sensitive skin as well. I started with the acne facial cleanser ($15) and the special cleansing lotion c, it's toner ($15), while not drugstore prices definitely not high end. I really saw results in about a month and starting getting a lot of compliments on my skin.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    I also have sensitive and acne-prone skin. I've been using this regimen for the past few months and my skin now looks amazing (for the first time in about three years!). It's costing more money than my older regime, but it's actually working and I find that with high quality products, you actually don't need as much (especially cream).

Lifestyle: drink tons of water, have a bit of flaxseed oil every day, exercise daily (it seriously helps!), eat well, get at least 7 hours of sleep every night; wash your cell phone with antibacterial wipes (if your screen is covered with a clear protectant, if not then it may damage your phone over time)

Morning: as soon as I wake up I have a glass of water with the juice of half a lemon in it (apparently this helps to "boost" your metabolism); I wash my face with La Roche Posay's Effaclar cleanser (it's designed for sensitive and acne-prone skin), and apply La Roche Posay's Physiological Toner (gentle toner), eye cream, and Hydraphase Légère cream (a light cream). 

During the day, I only wear tinted moisturizer designed for acne-prone skin (Vichy "Normaderm Teint") and blush for sensitive skin (Clinique) on my face.

After a workout: repeat the morning routine or go straight to the evening routine if it's later at night

Evening: I wash my face with La Roche Posay's Toleriane cleanser (gentle cleanser) with my Clinique face brush (much cheaper than Clarisonic and works very well!). I then apply the La Roche Posay Effaclar toner (which is more astringent than the Physiological toner and contains salicylic acid) and the same cream as in the morning. If I have a breakout, I use some tea tree oil (from the health food store) as a spot treatment.

I found this division to be the best. If I only used the Effaclar products, then my skin would be irritated because it's so sensitive; if I only used the Toleriane and Physiological products, then I would break out.

Once a week: deeper exfoliation with a mask recommended by the aesthetician who did my brows (Guinot "Gommage Biologique" - it's a French brand sold in Canada, I'm not sure if it's available in the US. If you look into it, follow the instructions on the box, it's different from other types of exfoliators). 

Edited: I forgot to add that it's better not to use the brush on a break out because it irritates the inflamed skin.
  • Options
    Mine was seriously improved by seeing dermatologist, doing short term daily antibiotics, and cutting all dairy from my diet.
  • Options
    I bought a Clairsonic and my skin looks a lot better.  I've been using it for a year now.  Also, microdermabrasion has helped.  I've done series of 4 sessions every couple years and I see a huge difference and my skin is much smoother.  Both of these are not cheap options but I know I find Groupons for microdermabrasion in my area so check out yours.  Either way...creams and stuff aren't that expensive if you have insurance. 
  • Options

@lizz0915 - Thank you, I will definitely look into those products!

@crimsonsaffron - I really appreciate you taking the time to type out your regime! Your post is just a reminder that I need to get back into more healthy habits.. My FI, God love him, can eat anything and everything all day and not gain an ounce. He's also in the Army National Guard, so he's quite acitve! It's hard to ignore when he eats all the time and even harder not to ask for a bite or two. LOL

• Options
    My skin didn't get noticeably better until I started watching what I ate (took out all dairy and gluten which I already have a sensitivity to) and started getting regular facials with heavy extractions. I also found out that although I always thought I had oily skin (I did in HS), my skin has changed and I was using products that was stripping too much from my face, making my facial glands go into oil overdrive, so I went to an all natural oil cleanser from tsecret.com My face has never looked better.

imageimage

• Options
    Ditto the PPs. I also have very sensitive skin (as in I cannot use perfumes on my skin because I break out.) And the only over the counter I've found to work for me is the Clinique acne line. Along with healthy eating, lots of water and that regime, my acne is pretty much under control now.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards