Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Bridesmaid Shoes

Hi ladies!

I can't make up my mind on the shoes I want my girls to wear!  I am stuck between yellow, white and silver.  Also should it be the same shoe or should I chose the color and let them pick the shoe!?

Their dresses are all long and the same.  The color is navy blue.  My wedding colors are blue, yellow and white.

Initially I was thinking they they all have the same yellow shoe.  Since the dress is long I kind of feel bad asking them to buy yellow (although I LOVE the way that looks in pictures!) When will they really ever wear these again??

So my next thought was to have them all wear white to match my dress and me to get a navy blue shoe to match their dress. (still wedding colors!).  But then I got concerned because there are many shades of white and I thought it might be a pain for them to go hunting for the same tone white shoes.

So then I started thinking about silver.  It's not the wedding colors which bums me out a bit, but it's classy and a shoe they will wear again.  Plus, their dresses are long so how much will anyone REALLY even see their shoes?

Any insight would be helpful from my fellow type A brides!!! :)

Re: Bridesmaid Shoes

• Options

You are right. If they are in long dresses, then the girls should pick their own shoes so that it's something they are comfortable in and will wear again. That said, you could pick a color or simply say silver. I'd suggest going with silver. There is a wide range of silver shoes and I'm sure many BMs already have them.

If you pick a specific shoe, then you need to purchase them for the BMs.

"There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • Options
    Let them pick their own shoes. If they're wearing long dresses, no one is really going to see them. 
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    You are definitely over-thinking this. You won't even see their shoes, so it's not at all necessary to have them match your colors. Look:

I've worn long, dark blue dresses for two weddings. One bride said whichever black or silver shoes we wanted, and the other said any silver shoes. For the first I wore strappy black shoes I already had, and nobody saw anything but the tips of my toes. For the second I bought strappy silver ones... nobody saw anything but the tips of my toes, and I never wore the silver shoes again and was somewhat irritated that I had to buy them.

ETA: if you require a specific shoe, you are required to pay for them. The same goes for jewelry, hairstyle and makeup. 

• Options
    Will you actually print out and hang the photo of your shoes?  I doubt it.  So just because it may make a cute picture lets be realistic here.

Since the dresses are long I would tell them to get whatever shoe they would like in a neutral color (nude or silver would be a great option).  Even if they have different colored shoes no one will notice since the dresses will hide them.

• Options
    No one will see their shoes. Let it go and don't specify. FWIW, my bridesmaids had short dresses and I have exactly zero pictures where you can even see what kinds of shoes they have on. I picked black and wish I hadn't even bothered because it was totally unimportant.
  • Options
    I was in a wedding 2 years ago and we wore long navy blue dresses.  You can't see any of our shoes in any of the pictures.  Just let them wear whatever. 
  • Options
    Hi ladies!

I can't make up my mind on the shoes I want my girls to wear!  I am stuck between yellow, white and silver.  Also should it be the same shoe or should I chose the color and let them pick the shoe!?

Their dresses are all long and the same.  The color is navy blue.  My wedding colors are blue, yellow and white.

Initially I was thinking they they all have the same yellow shoe.  Since the dress is long I kind of feel bad asking them to buy yellow (although I LOVE the way that looks in pictures!) When will they really ever wear these again??

So my next thought was to have them all wear white to match my dress and me to get a navy blue shoe to match their dress. (still wedding colors!).  But then I got concerned because there are many shades of white and I thought it might be a pain for them to go hunting for the same tone white shoes.

So then I started thinking about silver.  It's not the wedding colors which bums me out a bit, but it's classy and a shoe they will wear again.  Plus, their dresses are long so how much will anyone REALLY even see their shoes?

You would seriously micromanage a shoe to the point of making sure shades of white matched??  Shoes that would be worn under long gowns and never be seen??

PLEASE re-read your post and see how insane that all sounds.  They do not need to have matching shoes, or even similar colored shoes.  Tell them to pick a neutral colored shoe of their choosing and call it a day.
  • Options
    Hi ladies!

If you select one, I'd select silver. Many ladies will already have a pair in their closet.  Please re-think yellow, or if you do choose yellow, you should really buy them for your bridesmaids.

I have been the bridesmaid who was asked to buy specific shoes (cowboy boots). I wear them on occasion, but less than once a month. I would have preferred to spend that money on a pair of cute boots of my own choosing. 
  • Options
    Hi ladies!

If you select one, I'd select silver. Many ladies will already have a pair in their closet.  Please re-think yellow, or if you do choose yellow, you should really buy them for your bridesmaids.

I have been the bridesmaid who was asked to buy specific shoes (cowboy boots). I wear them on occasion, but less than once a month. I would have preferred to spend that money on a pair of cute boots of my own choosing. 
    Am I the only one who has absolutely zero use or desire for silver shoes?? I don't recall any of my friends ever wearing silver shoes out, either. And I have "a thing" for shoes so I notice what they wear. I have probably 75 pairs not including flip-flops, and the only silver ones were the ones I had to buy for a wedding, and never wore again. Leopard, polka dot, faux horsehair, yellow, ruffled blue suede, several pairs of red, purple, gold glitter, yes. Silver, no.

• Options
    Forget it! Just let them wear whatever they're comfortable in.
  • Options
    Hi ladies!

Am I the only one who has absolutely zero use or desire for silver shoes?? I don't recall any of my friends ever wearing silver shoes out, either. And I have "a thing" for shoes so I notice what they wear. I have probably 75 pairs not including flip-flops, and the only silver ones were the ones I had to buy for a wedding, and never wore again. Leopard, polka dot, faux horsehair, yellow, ruffled blue suede, several pairs of red, purple, gold glitter, yes. Silver, no.
    I'm similar, I don't have a need for special occasion shoes, and just never found a non-blingy silver I had to have. I did just this summer finally get a pair of gladiator sandals that are a mix of silver, copper and bronze. 

Most of my friends have at least one pair of silver shoes though. I assumed I was the odd one out.

Anniversary
  • Options
    Thanks for the comments ladies!  Very helpful! 
  • Options
    Hi ladies!

I have exactly one pair of silver shoes. I bought them when I was a BM in my cousin's wedding. They are collecting dust in my closet. 
  • Options
    just have them wear nude shoes.  Most girls already have them and if not, they're something that can be worn for ANYTHING.  
  • Options
    lovesclimbinglovesclimbing member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited October 2014
    Hi ladies!

I have exactly one pair of silver shoes. I bought them when I was a BM in my cousin's wedding. They are collecting dust in my closet. 
    I completely agree with you both, @ClimbingBrideNY and @lolo883.  I didn't own a pair of silver shoes until I chose silver shoes to wear for my wedding. I also know for a fact none of my three sisters own silver shoes.

However, when choosing between silver and yellow, I figured more people would have silver in their closet than would have yellow. Now that I re-read it, I see she was choosing among white, yellow and silver.  White is probably more common than silver.  Come to think of it, I did have a pair of white shoes before I had a pair of silver.

Overall though, I think the best choice is to have them wear any shoe or any nude shoe they own.  (Although, to be honest, I do not own a nude pair, and I do own both white and silver. However, I've been wanting to get a nude pair, and a wedding would give me a good excuse.)
  • Options
    I have 4 pairs of nude shoes... lol. An almond toe pump, a peep-toe pump, a patent wedge sandal and patent flats. :) 

• Options
    I find if funny the OP was worried about different shades of white.  WHITE.   There are way more different shades of YELLOW or Blue than white.

I own white shoes and silver shoes, but not nude.    Of all the colors I would think black would be found in more than 95% of women's closets.  The rest of the colors I doubt you will find as high of a percentage, meaning someone will still have to purchase a shoe no matter what color you choose.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    If you specify the shoe you want worn, you should buy it for the BM's. Certainly yellow or white shoes are not likely going to get any further use. I have a pair of silver heels that for a while were my go-to dress-up shoes for events, so I do think some ladies will wear silver again. 

If you feel inclined that they should all have "one color" in your wedding colors, I would just tell them to get silver shoes of whatever type they want. As others have said, with long dresses no one will be noticing the shoes. 

If you want to make it even easier on them, tell them to wear black or nude shoes of their choosing, I agree those are the most likely to get future use. 
  • Options
    My MOH is wearing a tea length dress and black slightly dressy sneakers. If she wants to wear slippers, that's fine also.

I wore leopard print peep toe pumps in her wedding. I'm actually wearing them today.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards