Budget Weddings Forum
Options

Backyard BBQ theme

So I am pretty sure we have our venue picked out and it is exactly what we want.  We will be married outside on the property and then the reception will be inside the barn.  We want this to be very casual and to feel like a party so we'd planned to have some games outside for the kids and adults alike, such as horseshoes, badmitton, croquet and possibly a bounce house.  I am thinking about hiring two older girls to "babysit" the kids outside so that the parents can relax and enjoy themselves as well.  My question is...where do I work in the games?  I mean...we would arrive from pictures and then do our first dance, start eating...I doubt anyone is gonna wanna go play games during that time so now I wonder where it can be.  I feel like I am overthinking this and it is driving me crazy.  I imagine a family reunion type of scenario and music is playing, people are eating or playing, kids are having fun and everyone is happy!!  Please help...any suggestions are welcomed!

Kim
Marrying the love of my life, Erik, 9-19-15

Re: Backyard BBQ theme

• Options
    KahlylaKahlyla member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited October 2014
    At a recent wedding I attended at a great farm venue, they had games ongoing throughout, but they started during the cocktail hour. People then knew where everything was located, so they could wander back out to the games later on during the reception if they so chose (not during toasts and first dance, obviously). I thought it worked really well, especially since they still had all the traditional trappings and everything was well hosted - there were just these optional games available if anyone wanted to partake.

The games were mentioned on the programs, and they were essentially self-serve; those who wanted to play or bounce figured it out (with the assistance of the coordinator if needed); they didn't need to be managed by the bride or groom or anything.
  • Options
    So I am pretty sure we have our venue picked out and it is exactly what we want.  We will be married outside on the property and then the reception will be inside the barn.  We want this to be very casual and to feel like a party so we'd planned to have some games outside for the kids and adults alike, such as horseshoes, badmitton, croquet and possibly a bounce house.  I am thinking about hiring two older girls to "babysit" the kids outside so that the parents can relax and enjoy themselves as well.  My question is...where do I work in the games?  I mean...we would arrive from pictures and then do our first dance, start eating...I doubt anyone is gonna wanna go play games during that time so now I wonder where it can be.  I feel like I am overthinking this and it is driving me crazy.  I imagine a family reunion type of scenario and music is playing, people are eating or playing, kids are having fun and everyone is happy!!  Please help...any suggestions are welcomed!

Kim
    Marrying the love of my life, Erik, 9-19-15
    I would definitely have the games visible and available, but not a scheduled event during the reception. That way people can play if they want to, and not play if they don't. 
  • Options
    Your plan sounds lovely. Guests will have some food and drinks to have while you are away for pictures, right? The only thing I would skip in your current plans would be the bounce house, that just screams kid birthday party to me. And as a PP said, if the guests know the games are out there, they will go play them if they want to.
  • Options
    We had a backyard BBQ wedding with lawn games and the games were out and available to play during the whole reception. Guests wandered over and played if they were interested.
  • Options
    Thank you ladies!!  I appreciate all the advice and will nix the bounce house.  We will have the games out the whole time and let people play if they want.  Parents might like them to keep the kiddos occupied while we have our pics taken. 
  • Options
    We had a similar type wedding and had originally thought that people would just play games during cocktail hour. However, a lot of people went back out after dinner and played. People who weren't too into dancing liked having another option.
  • Options
    The last barn wedding I was at we played lawn games during cocktail hour which was more just drinks rather than lots of food.  The lawn games were a hit (I especially enjoyed corn hole!) After cocktail hour, we ate under a tent, and then as it was getting dark we went into the barn and danced for the remainder of the wedding.  Since it was already dark and getting chilly, no one really played games once the dancing started.  

I definitely recommend corn hole! You can make your own (directions online) and paint it with your wedding colors.  They you just need bean bags to throw in the holes! Super easy! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards