Chit Chat

I need honest opinions

FI and I are having an indoor garden themed wedding. He and I designed the cake (small cake) a couple weeks back and, after looking around, we decided that I should make the cake topper myself. He didn't like the ones available; I don't like traditional cake toppers. I made it based on our theme and the kind of thing my FI likes. It's not complete yet (I still need to wrap the sides and make a little banner) but FI and I think it's cute.

The problem is my mom doesn't. She thinks it looks terrible! I don't know if it's because her vision of our wedding involves a traditional cake topper, she's never been to a wedding where the cake topper wasn't the traditional bride and groom kind, or if she really truly thinks it's ugly. So...I need honest opinions (I promise I won't cry and bitch if you think it's ugly). What do you guys think about what I have so far? That green foam isn't part of it, it was just to stand it up to get the picture.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: I need honest opinions

• cafarriecafarrie member
    First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited October 2014
    I don't love it, honestly.  Is there a reason you think you NEED a cake topper?  I think most traditional ones are cheesy and silly too, so I just didn't have one and asked my friend (who made our cake) to decorate with some flowers and it looked great!
  • I'm not loving it. It's hard to really pinpoint why though. I do like different, non traditional items. It looks a little too cumbersome, like a centerpiece. I would maybe do just one of the potted flowers with nothing else (no rocks or fake grass) and paint your new last name/ initial on the pot. Or do the two pots with nothing else and each of your names painted on the pots. I guess I just don't like the "base" with the rocks and grass.

• In all honesty I don't think it's very attractive....I'm not using a cake topper, you know it's not essential! You can very well pass on that if that what's causing trouble?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think it's cute. If you and FI love it then screw what anyone else thinks.
    I chose a cake topper that H and I would love and wouldn't mind having displayed with our albums and favors. I don't think anyone else liked it.
    Anniversary

• I need to see what the cake will look like. 
  • I agree with some PPs. It's not my favourite but what matters most is what you and your FI think. If you like it, go with it!

Also, is there some reason that you MUST have a cake topper? There are some really elegant things you can do without one.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Not loving it.

DH designed our cake.  It was a deserted island theme.  We didn't have a cake topper.  Well unless you counted the palm tree on the top.  Which was just part of the overall design.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I like it and think the concept is really cute. But, it looks too heavy to be a cake topper, that's all. 

• I don't care for the base with grass and rocks either. But I do think the two flower pots would be an awesome topper on their own.
  • ClimbingBrideNY Unfortunately I don't have a photo or anything of what the cake will look like since it's a custom. The baker took the drawing...

loro929 I actually originally didn't want to bother with a cake topper either but FI and mom seem to think that it's essential so I guess I was more doing it to make them happy. I'd love to just put a bunch of flowers up there but they were out of our budget (flowers are expensive @_@).

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Here is a picture of our cake.  There was a tropical storm that hit which de-masted the boat and made the table cloth come up and stick to the icing.  Plus is was really humid from the storm and it melted the cake.  I get most people would think it's not pretty. Oh well, what can you do?

The point I'm making is the palm trees were just part of the cake.  They were not a traditional topper.  Heck there are 3 of them not even a couple (we do not have any children either).

Can you explain the cake?  Maybe we can figure out something for the top that does not have to be an actually topper.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I think the proportions of the plant to the pot seems very off and that makes it look awkward to me. But the only thing that matters is if you and your FI love it. 

• What about the banner secured in the pots instead of the tulips?

Or super simple, just a sign and some real flowers. (Just make sure there are no pesticides on them if they touch the cake.)

• lyndausvi The cake is a small 3 tier cake, white butter cream frosting with green hanging "vines" in frosting coming down 1 side. Kind of like this but upside down, green and a slighting different swirly design: image

And then it has these borders in between the tiers that are supposed to look like frosting grass.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Am I the only one that thinks the tulips are phallic?
    Oh no! FI chose the flowers and he wanted tulips everywhere! D: Lol

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2014
    Sorry, but I really dislike it.  The fake flowers, fake grass stuff, upside down jar lid or something, etc. Other garden/nature-y themed cake toppers for ideas:
     imageimageimage
    Or maybe you could just use some flowers (made of gum paste or something or real ones).
  • It's not my style but if you like it go for it.  We just decorated ours with fresh flowers and no cake topper.

Anniversary

• What about the banner secured in the pots instead of the tulips?

Or super simple, just a sign and some real flowers. (Just make sure there are no pesticides on them if they touch the cake.)
    I love that 2nd picture! I might just do that. I've been trying to decide whether I should just call the baker and add on the flowers for the top. They said they were affiliated with a florist for cake designs. FI didn't want it because it's extra money but we might just suck it up and do it. (I'll talk to him about it first of course)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • doeydo said:
    Sorry, but I really dislike it.  The fake flowers, fake grass stuff, upside down jar lid or something, etc. Other garden/nature-y themed cake toppers for ideas:
     imageimageimage
    Or maybe you could just use some flowers (made of gum paste or something or real ones).
    The middle one here could be a really great compromise, OP, between your garden theme and a "more traditional" cake topper!  

• doeydo said:
     imageimageimage
    I like that dandelion one a lot!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think it's cute as something to put on a table, but a bit much for a cake. Just two little pots with tulips might be really cute though. I can definitely see the existing one overwhelming the cake, since your cake has such a simple, elegant design.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • ...the tulips are WAY big. They look way too big for the pots. I really like the concept, but would use moss instead of fake grass, and a much smaller (and real) flower. 

If your cake is really simple it might be overwhelmed by that topper. But - to me anyway - that didn't look like a simple cake*, so if you fix the tulip thing I think it would be great.

*Disclaimer: My idea of a simple cake is a sheet cake with no balloons on it.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Sugargirl1019Sugargirl1019 member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited October 2014
    vulpiepop said:

What about the banner secured in the pots instead of the tulips?

I love that 2nd picture! I might just do that. I've been trying to decide whether I should just call the baker and add on the flowers for the top. They said they were affiliated with a florist for cake designs. FI didn't want it because it's extra money but we might just suck it up and do it. (I'll talk to him about it first of course)
    -------------------SITB-----------------------------------------

I need to chime in to day I LOVE that second picture too. Copy that one!! Also look for fake flowers. They have some pretty realistic ones!

image   image   image

• OliveOilsMomOliveOilsMom member
    edited October 2014
    Found this: clicky  It is similar to the 2nd one Lolo found that you liked.
  • TK won't let me add to my last post, but here is another garden cake topper. This lady also has many other similar floral cake toppers that might work for you. clicky
  • We didn't want a traditional cake topper so I ordered the letters LOVE from....

http://www.lisaleonardonline.com/Weddings-C11.aspx?s=OrderBy ASC&p=2

If you wanted to go simpler you could have flowers added to the top of your cake with maybe your and your H's initials in the silver or gold? depending on your color scheme.
  • TK won't let me add to my last post, but here is another garden cake topper. This lady also has many other similar floral cake toppers that might work for you. clicky

I like that one. You could put fake flowers around the base of the letter.

image   image   image

• larrygagalarrygaga member
    edited October 2014
    I'm not going to lie, it's pretty hilariously terrible. However, if you like it then why are you asking us???
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards