Attire & Accessories Forum

will my gown from DB go with a pronovias, etc. veil PIP?

me and my bad experiences at boutiques around here. I was calling this bridal boutique to ask information about their veils and to see if they might have something that will go with my dress. well the lady on the phone really upset me with her idiocy when she said:  "well the quality of DB gowns is not the same as high end designer gowns so if you want it with lace it will be hard to match it with something we might have, if you want check the pronovias website to see if you find something you might want to look at in the store"

well now i am doubtful if it will look bad because of the difference in lace and such. its silly and stupid but her comment stung. how dare she say something like that when I have seen pronovias or maggie dresses that dont necessarily look super high end and seen no name dresses that look stunningly amazing high couture. 

so would it look ok with something like this??

Re: will my gown from DB go with a pronovias, etc. veil PIP?

• I don't agree with the "it won't match because of blah blah is high end and DB is not" comment but I do agree about the whole lace not matching part.  In every picture of the veils the lace of the veil matches the lace on the dress.  So if you have two different laces going on it could be noticeable.

Personally I think the 4th option would go the best because you won't have the lace 'fighting' with each other and I love the delicate bling on the edge of the veil that will compliment the sparkle in your dress.

• Meh, I disagree. I don't think the lace needs to match, and they're only shown that way to get you to buy all your stuff from them. I actually prefer contrast. I think the only thing that looks super awkward is when you try to match but it's just barely different.

Not matchy.

Mine didn't match. Even the color was off. Ask how many fucks I give.

• It absolutely is true that David's and other less expensive gown stores don't have the quality of materials and tailoring as designer/couture gowns.  Couture gowns have European laces, horsehair stitching, etc.  David's uses a lot of synthetic fabrics.

However, whether that impacts your ability to mix two brands and the match still be good is probably not true.

You should take a swatch of your dress, or the dress itself with you and see how things look together.  There are a zillion shades of white--eggshell, candlelit, natural, silver, etc.  So you won't know until you see fabrics/lace together if they'll look bad.  
  • I don't see the big deal with matching your paterns or not...I don't know, I guess I just don't care much.  I personally like the last two veils if you are worried about the lace clashing.  In general though, if you aren't sure the best thing to do is try it all on together.
  • Out of sheer curiosity... why do you want a designer veil in the first place? Not judging, it just seems odd to go with a DB gown and high-end veil. Even non-designer veils were preposterously expensive to me so I made my own.

• Out of sheer curiosity... why do you want a designer veil in the first place? Not judging, it just seems odd to go with a DB gown and high-end veil. Even non-designer veils were preposterously expensive to me so I made my own.
    I will second this question.  Veils are ridiculously expensive, especially designer ones.  You could get just as nice of a veil off of Etsy or by making it yourself or even having your seamstress make you one for a lot less money.

• I think that salon employee is incredibly rude and judgmental. There are many beautiful dresses at David's bridal and yours is lovely. I don't think anyone will notice as long as the lace is roughly the same color if the pattern is different.

I'll be honest, designer veils seem like a rip-off to me. I have seen some totally gorgeous veils in person at bridal salons. They usually cost $400 or more. If you look on Etsy, you can generally get the same thing for less than half the price. 
  • @lolo883 and @maggie0829

its not about the price for me, i didnt get a DB gown becaue it was cheaper, it really was a little over the pronovias I was going to get. But I tried on over 40 gowns from all designers, Maggie, Pronovias, San Patrick, La Sposa, Rosa Clara, LAzaro, etc but they were all missing something. I got my dress because it has absolutely everything I wanted and had been looking for. 

I am looking at designer veils because I didnt like what they had at DB, and I have browsed numerous etsy stores and other sites poster here but havent seen exactly what I want. 

I want a cathedral length one tiered veil, in as close to morbid tulle as possible and that looks like a mantilla. I am not one to need the laces to match, I like uniqueness in that aspect. But that is the reason. Sorry for the length of the post

• JaniV123 said:
    @lolo883 and @maggie0829

its not about the price for me, i didnt get a DB gown becaue it was cheaper, it really was a little over the pronovias I was going to get. But I tried on over 40 gowns from all designers, Maggie, Pronovias, San Patrick, La Sposa, Rosa Clara, LAzaro, etc but they were all missing something. I got my dress because it has absolutely everything I wanted and had been looking for. 

I am looking at designer veils because I didnt like what they had at DB, and I have browsed numerous etsy stores and other sites poster here but havent seen exactly what I want. 

I want a cathedral length one tiered veil, in as close to morbid tulle as possible and that looks like a mantilla. I am not one to need the laces to match, I like uniqueness in that aspect. But that is the reason. Sorry for the length of the post
    Do you mean "morbido?" 

Morbido just means "soft," and anything but the cheapest tulle is pretty soft and will lay nicely. Honestly I don't think anyone would notice what type of tulle you have. The length of the veil, weight of the lace. and gathering at the top will determine how poofy it is. Hell, most people couldn't even tell what color mine was.

I just think it makes a lot more sense to be picky about the quality and design of a gown because more people will notice. And this is coming from someone who obsessed over finding the "right" lace for mine for months. 

• JaniV123 said:
    @lolo883 and @maggie0829

Do you mean "morbido?" 

Morbido just means "soft," and anything but the cheapest tulle is pretty soft and will lay nicely. Honestly I don't think anyone would notice what type of tulle you have. The length of the veil, weight of the lace. and gathering at the top will determine how poofy it is. Hell, most people couldn't even tell what color mine was.

I just think it makes a lot more sense to be picky about the quality and design of a gown because more people will notice. And this is coming from someone who obsessed over finding the "right" lace for mine for months. 
    Yeah, I just bought the bridal tulle from Joann Fabrics for the fingertip veil I made.  It was soft and laid just fine.  The longer the veil the better it will lay, especially if you attach the weight of a lace edge to it.

I also agree with the second bolded part as well.  A veil is worn for all of an hour at the most and then it is removed for the reception.  Unless people are coming up to you and touching your veil no one will know what type of tulle it is.  I think it is kind of silly to spend big money on a designer accessory that will be worn for like 1/8 of your wedding day.

• I am making my own. I spent $28 on materials, including a lot of extra tulle and lace that I didn't end up using. The cost of my actual used materials is much less. It will be a waltz (calf-length) veil with a blusher and lace starting at the elbows and going around the back. My mother gave me lace from her wedding dress instead. It doesn't match in color, but I don't care. My dress is cafe with ivory lace and the lace from my mom's dress is white. Still, I'm happy to have it and don't care if it doesn't match. Plus, I get exactly what I want by making it myself. Even hand-beading isn't that hard with a little practice, just time-consuming. I know crafts aren't everyone's thing, but I wouldn't have it any other way for my veil.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

"They say there's no such place... as Paradise. Even if you search to the ends of the Earth, there's nothing there. No matter how far you walk, it's always the same road. It just goes on and on. But, in spite of that... Why am I so driven to find it? A voice calls to me... It says, 'Search for Paradise.' " - Kiba, Wolf's Rain

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards