Wedding Etiquette Forum

Save the date postcards

Our save the dates are going to be postcards. The front has pictures of us and says save the date and lists the date. On the back I have the option to print the message and the address. I was thinking to just have our names, date, location and wedding website printed on the back with space to write a hand written message and then to hand write the addresses. Is that tacky or cute? I know it will be time consuming and half way through I might be cursing myself for not printing them. I don't know! what do you think?

Re: Save the date postcards

• I think you're spot on. You don't even need a handwritten message; just the essentials. Handwriting the addresses is totally fine.

Yes, your hand will hate you-- if you have a lot to send, work on them in bunches. 

• I think you're spot on. You don't even need a handwritten message; just the essentials. Handwriting the addresses is totally fine.

Yes, your hand will hate you-- if you have a lot to send, work on them in bunches. 

I agree!

For ours we had the front done up all pretty.  On the back we split the card and used a little less than half the space to write out any important details.  Wedding Website and such.  Then I hand wrote the addresses on the other side.

• Sounds great! We did the same thing. Plus with postcards you save a ton on postage!
  • Just make sure you put the date I'm supposed to be saving on the "cute" side.  My cousin did it backwards; had their engagement photos on one side, and had the Date and City on the side with the address.  So, in order to put it up on my fridge with the date showing, I didn't have their picture, but my address instead.
  • I'm handwriting all the addresses for my Save the Dates. I started 2 weeks ago. I don't have to send them for 2 more weeks. I'm about halfway done. I just sit down and do a batch while I'm watching tv or something. That way it doesn't totally kill my hand. So far, it has worked out fine. Only problem has been that FI's parents still haven't given me their relatives addresses! (Asked 3 weeks ago) 
  • I'm handwriting all the addresses for my Save the Dates. I started 2 weeks ago. I don't have to send them for 2 more weeks. I'm about halfway done. I just sit down and do a batch while I'm watching tv or something. That way it doesn't totally kill my hand. So far, it has worked out fine. Only problem has been that FI's parents still haven't given me their relatives addresses! (Asked 3 weeks ago) 
    Not everybody needs to get a STDate.  So, if you don't get the addresses in time for STDates, you extend their deadline to a month before you need them for invitations.  If they don't get them to you by then, they're SOL.

This is exactly what I've been doing.  I'm about 3 weeks into it, and want to get them out sometime next week.  I really only have a few left to go, and it hasn't been that bad because it's only a few a day

I do have 1 tip, though - order several extra.  That way if your handwriting isn't great on one, or you mess up a zipcode or something, you don't have to turn a 2 into a sloppy 3.  I think I've thrown away maybe 10 envelopes because I didn't like the way they turned out

• edited October 2014
    Sounds good! I would hand-write them for sure. I don't know if this is super silly of me, but I am considering doing postcards as well and don't want to put the venue location - just the city. I know mail is safe and secure, but I feel weird about the exact location and date of my wedding being public on a postcard. Am I overreacting?
  • It might be silly, but I kinda get it too.  And yes, you're fine with just the city.  (I actually got a STDate that said the wedding would be taking place in Chicagoland, so basically the Greater Chicago Area.)  It's basically for people to plan if they need to request time off or book a flight.  As long as it also has your wedding website and THAT has your venue and hotel info, you're fine.
  • Sounds good! I would hand-write them for sure. I don't know if this is super silly of me, but I am considering doing postcards as well and don't want to put the venue location - just the city. I know mail is safe and secure, but I feel weird about the exact location and date of my wedding being public on a postcard. Am I overreacting?

I would just put the town and wedding website.

Vista print has great prices on postcards! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards