Chit Chat

Is a Wedding Website Really Necessary?

FI keeps saying that it's a big AW move to have our own website. I have found them helpful in the past to a degree, but I mostly just use them as a tool to "stalk" the future couple and gawk at their photo album, etc. Now that I'm sitting here writing the "About Us" and "Proposal" sections, I really just feel like it's super cheesy and unneeded. I guess the big sections are the registry and travel info for OOTers. However, my OOTers are primarily VIPs that I talk to frequently anyway and while I'd like people to know I have a registry, word of mouth seems like it could go a long way...Anybody have a weigh in?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Is a Wedding Website Really Necessary?

• We included our proposal stories because several people had asked for it.  Other than that, our website only had basic information regarding the locations of the wedding & reception, registry information, and a few pics. 
  • You certainly don't "have" to have one. I didn't. And even if you choose to make one, you don't have to fill out any pages that you don't want to! I think it's be fine to keep it informational than to add a bunch of sappy junk that no one really wants to read anyway. (Well, I'D want to read it, but that's because I love mushy things!)
  • I didn't have one. Our parents did a good job spreading the word on registries and hotel info. 
    Anniversary

• Def not necessary, but

We used ours to share information about one another so that people from the others' side would get to know us a little. Our proposal story because everyone wants to know and then of course out of town travel information, hotel block, etc because over half our guests were out of town. That is the primary reason for the website, our out of town guests.

image   image   image

• I kept the about us and proposals section short and sweet. I also put up cat and puppy gifs.

Anniversary
  • You definitely don't need them but they're very useful. I would just keep the about you and proposal sections very short. You could even skip them entirely.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I actually like reading people's stories on wedding websites. I read them every time a couple shares their website address on an invitation or save the date. If people don't like it, it's not like you're holding a gun to them and forcing them to read it.
  • Not necessary, certainly, but I like them. No one has to read about your proposal if you put it on there; they can if they want to.

Our site has an "about us" section, which includes how we met and how we got engaged, but it also includes a bunch of jokes about our bird. The majority of the site is information.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • Thanks all!! I think I'll go ahead and take the "short and sweet" advice :)

I too like reading other people's so hopefully others feel the same way about ours haha.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I'm just doing a tiny one with information about the ceremony location and parking, places to stay, and contact info.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• We didn't have one.  I tend to think they're unnecessary.  I also know many people, in fact most of the people I know who've recently gotten married, who haven't had one.
  • We used ours mostly for parking instructions, since the parking lot entrance was around the corner from the church entrance. If you want to remove the sections with how you got engaged and everything, you can take it out and just give people information about locations, weather, and registries.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • We're not doing one.  I don't think I've ever really looked at one before.

• I skipped the about us and proposal section and just hid those. Ours had one picture of us and then information about transportation and hotels. Literally no one has looked at us since everyone asks us the questions anyway haha

• I don't think I have seen one before for any of my friends, but I think we will have one because it will be useful. Our venue is a bit tricky to get into, so they provide us with inserts to place in our invitations. Exactly the kinda thing that people lose. So I would like to include that information in the website. And may as well be the first couple in our circle to have one :) 
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• I'm doing one, but decided against including too many personal details ("about us," "how he proposed," an 80 image photo album, guest book, etc.) Instead it has a lot of details about the wedding -- especially some extra guest info that I don't plan to include in the invitations. I also wanted to include some little blurbs about our wedding party since we have kind of a big WP.

• And for what it's worth, I really do like when people have websites. 

• We did short about me's and a short proposal story. 

I put effort into the wedding party because I always like reading those (but still not more than a couple sentences per person)

And then I put a lot of effort into the hotel list, and things to do in the area. A lot of our guests are coming in from out of town so I included places to go on Friday/Sunday, and restaurants near the hotel that we blocked off rooms at. 

I think they are very helpful so that I don't have to text couples and ask what time the ceremony is starting if I happen to lose my invitation or something. If I know they have a website, then I can google it! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards