Wedding Woes
Options

1%-er problems

Dear Prudence, 
I live in one of the wealthiest neighborhoods in the country, but on one of the more “modest” streets—mostly doctors and lawyers and family business owners. (A few blocks away are billionaires, families with famous last names, media moguls, etc.) I have noticed that on Halloween, what seems like 75 percent of the trick-or-treaters are clearly not from this neighborhood. Kids arrive in overflowing cars from less fortunate areas. I feel this is inappropriate. Halloween isn’t a social service or a charity in which I have to buy candy for less fortunate children. Obviously this makes me feel like a terrible person, because what’s the big deal about making less fortunate kids happy on a holiday? But it just bugs me, because we already pay more than enough taxes toward actual social services. Should Halloween be a neighborhood activity, or is it legitimately a free-for-all in which people hunt down the best candy grounds for their kids?

—Halloween for the 99 Percent

Re: 1%-er problems

• Options
    Wow. 

Obviously it hasn't occurred to her, but people in "lesser" neighborhoods are also often not in SAFE neighborhoods. My mom complained about kids getting driven into her neighborhood in PHX, and I pointed out that we were there to t-o-t for the same reason they were: our neighborhoods simply weren't places you could walk around in at night. If it was okay for her granddaughter to be driven in so she could enjoy Halloween, why wasn't it okay for other kids? 

She changed her tune after that. I've never taken the time to notice if the kids are from here or not - I don't really care, as all of them are polite and don't detract from our 'hood in any way. 
  • Options
    Oh ma gah, I was just meta-complaining here about my mom complaining about this.  If you took the street down a couple of tax brackets, I would swear she had written it.

I love-love the whole thing about social services:  yes, just have the poor urchins call the County Department of Candy Distribution.  Like, what? 
  • Options
    I only dislike when people do this and their kids are assholes. I didn't care when van fulls of people pull up and get out to ToT, but when your kid steals another kids candy then runs back to the car to hide, it's not nice.

Maybe she should give out toothbrushes and toothpaste if she feels like she shouldn't have to give them candy. Right along with apples or something healthy because I bet poor people can't afford that stuff.
  • Options
    Meg, I agree. Rude kids rather rich or poor is not cute. Also, 17 year olds ToT is not cute either.
  • Options
    O.O

omg.
  • Options

<face palm>  Apparently she hasn't learned it's Trick OR Treat - if she doesn't like it - then make little bags up exclusively for the neighbor kids - have a code style ring set up, and turn the lights out on the porch...  Why do people feel like they HAVE to do ToT?!?!? 

Ah well, we've got the "rich folk" behind us (a Congresswoman lives not far from here), and our neighborhood is just dark as can be on Halloween night...

• Options
    People drive to our neighborhood for ToT, but as long as they are polite and in costume, I don't care. (I really don't even care if teens come by, as long as they are dressed up.) 

I can understand the driving on some level here because there's a bunch of people in our neighborhood who don't celebrate, so it is a lot of walking for the younger kids. (I walked with Wolverine last year, and less than 50% of the houses were participating.)

DK and I go all out - lights, decorations, fog machine (when it was working - we need a new one), carved pumpkins. We're by far the most decorated house on the street, so everyone stops there. We've gotten tons of compliments on the decorations, and people wanting to take pictures in the yard/with the pumpkins, so we have fun with it.  
  • Options
    jesus

fucking

christ

• Options
    I hope her house gets egged.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    MesmrEweMesmrEwe member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited October 2014
    I was at my niece's b-day party this past weekend...  remembering this discussion...  when my aunt, who has worked all her life, never had kids, lives in a major metro area and is surrounded by neighbors who don't have kids as well (or if they do they're grown up)..  She said the "I can't justify doing ToT when it's all just carloads of kids from the poor neighborhoods coming in to ToT"...  OMGosh it was like "Oh lawd I know some Knotties who'd love to rip you to shreds!"...  Thankfully she just turns her lights off or finds something else to do on Halloween night...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards