Wedding Reception Forum

What is that thing called?

This is the set up I want at the reception for the bridal party. But for the life of me I can not think of what that grey fabric draped in the front is called or where I would find one. Any ideas? lol

Re: What is that thing called?

• I don't think there's a specific name besides drapery.

Are you going to have the bridal party's dates sit there too? Because it's rude if they have to sit at a separate table.

• Sash to drape table?
  • That's a swag. You can make it out of one loooooonnnnngg piece of fabric.

• every wedding Ive been to the bridal party sits with the bride and groom and everyone else, including their dates, sit somewhere else. Its not like the bridal party sits there the entire time though lol
  • Times have changed, now, the SOs and dates of the BP get a seat at the head table. I am wondering about pictures. Are there many official pictures of the head table?

It would seem a waste if some BM or GM had a one-time date at the wedding, then there they are, some random stranger no one remembers the name of, in your wedding album for all eternity.

• @Knottie17198507 - It's rude to separate people from their dates.  Sit them all at the same table.  

@danamw - You may have a couple of photos of the bridal party table, but it really doesn't matter if the date is in a photo or two.   You will have many more bridal party photos without the "dates" when you do the photos before or after the ceremony.  Those are the ones that you'll put in albums.  And if you're really concerned, have a sweetheart table with just the two of you.  Then put the bridal party (with their dates) at other tables.  That's what we did.
  • every wedding Ive been to the bridal party sits with the bride and groom and everyone else, including their dates, sit somewhere else. Its not like the bridal party sits there the entire time though lol
    Yes, and it sucks. Don't do this to people. If they are in a relationship, they should sit with their dates. It doesn't matter that they aren't at the head table the entire time. They are at the head table during toasts and dinner, and they should be allowed to eat dinner with their SO/spouse. 

How would you feel if you and your groom had to eat separately? Your wedding party are your honored friends/family. Treat them as such.
  • Don't separate people from their dates.  It's very rude and disrespectful to them.  

I would call that fabric a swag.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

Please don't do this. 

It's done often in my circle, too, and it's incredibly rude. I hate being in a WP and not being able to eat dinner with my FI. Nevermind the fact that when you're at a long table like that, the only people you can really talk to are the two people sitting next to you.

Seriously, out of all of the rude things that people do, this one really bugs me. Why would anyone want to be separated from their date for dinner?

And who cares about photos of the entire table....do you really think that you are at your most photogenic when you're eating? Chances are your photographer will be eating during that time, too.
  • Yeah no. It's seriously rude to split up couples. We sat just the MOH/her BF and BM/his wife with us at our table, and the rest of the WP with their spouses/dates/children at two other tables. Every. Single. One. of them complimented and thanked us for it. "Wow, we thought we'd have to eat dinner apart, This is so much better."

Know what else? Not a damn pro picture was taken of the head table. This ain't the Last Supper, and the last thing I would want a photo of is me frantically shoving salad in my face.

We had almost exactly the same set up with the smaller round table in between two banquet tables. 

But we sat our wedding party with their dates. It's very rude to separate couples. And pretty awkward for everyone.
    *********************************************************************************

• danamw said:

Times have changed, now, the SOs and dates of the BP get a seat at the head table. I am wondering about pictures. Are there many official pictures of the head table?

It would seem a waste if some BM or GM had a one-time date at the wedding, then there they are, some random stranger no one remembers the name of, in your wedding album for all eternity.

This is why I think a sweet heart table is the best option. BP get to sit with their dates and there are no fleeting SOs in your pictures. 
  • slothiegalslothiegal member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited October 2014
    lolo883 said:
    Yeah no. It's seriously rude to split up couples. We sat just the MOH/her BF and BM/his wife with us at our table, and the rest of the WP with their spouses/dates/children at two other tables. Every. Single. One. of them complimented and thanked us for it. "Wow, we thought we'd have to eat dinner apart, This is so much better."

Know what else? Not a damn pro picture was taken of the head table. This ain't the Last Supper, and the last thing I would want a photo of is me frantically shoving salad in my face.
    You know, I was curious, and I looked back through every single one of my pro pics.  Not a SINGLE shot of the head table.  
    Anniversary

• Yeah, I don't have any pro pictures of the head table either.  I've got some taken by friends, but our photographer ate at the same time we did so that she'd be available for pictures when things were actually happening.
  • Sweetheart table ftw! Let people enjoy their dates / SOs while you mingle. 

I am confused by your use of "LOL" here.  Nothing you wrote is funny or laugh out loud worthy.  Why do people feel the need to insert this acronym all the time when it is not appropriate?  Do they think it makes their post "lighter" or something?

I am confused by your use of "LOL" here.  Nothing you wrote is funny or laugh out loud worthy.  Why do people feel the need to insert this acronym all the time when it is not appropriate?  Do they think it makes their post "lighter" or something?

I think they do. Like if they type "lol" after something its like "I don't think this is a big deal and I'm super easy going about it."

In this context... Woof. If they're so carefree and easy going why not just seat the bridal party with their SOs?
    *********************************************************************************

• slothiegalslothiegal member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited October 2014
    every wedding Ive been to the bridal party sits with the bride and groom and everyone else, including their dates, sit somewhere else. Its not like the bridal party sits there the entire time though lol
    It's kind of like when people say "No offense, but...."

If you have to add "no offense", it's probably offensive.  If you have to add "lol", it's probably not funny.  (Which, splitting up couples, is decidedly not.)

ETA words
    Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards