Chit Chat
Options

Potato Recipes

edited October 2014 in Chit Chat
I have about 7 lbs of russet potatoes in my kitchen. I can't remember why. 

Anyway, I want to make potato salad with them tonight. Any suggestions? What are your favorite recipes and/or kinds of potato salad?

ETA: changed title. now @lolo883 makes me want to make a ton of different potato recipes!
*********************************************************************************

Re: Potato Recipes

• Options
    I love Greek potato salad. There's no mayo, it's just potatoes (with skins), scallions, and olive oil & lemon juice. Sometimes they add feta, or olives.

• Options
    My suggestion is skip the potato salad and make scalloped potatoes instead. :)

Sorry I'm no help. I only eat my mom's potato salad. Real mayo, hard boiled eggs, black olives. NO ONIONS AND NO FAKE MAYO.

• Options
    @lolo883 - I like the idea of making something else! I mean, I have 7 lbs lbs of potatoes so.... :)

So scalloped potatoes sound awesome. Yum!

Now I'm hungry and open to all potato recipe suggestions!
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    Hashbrown casserole!!! It's basically my favorite potato dish in the world
    Anniversary

• Options
    I really like to take potatoes and cut them really thin (like mandolin thin) then layer them on top of tilapia. Fry the fish in a pan and the potatoes form the most perfect crust. It is delicious.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    What about a Spanish omelette? Uses tons of potatoes and so good warm or cold.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    OliveOilsMomOliveOilsMom member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2014

Bake a few. Then cut them in half length wise and scoop out the meat.  You can use the meat to make twice baked potatoes.  I add ranch dressing (light or fat free works great!), bacon, cheese, black pepper to taste.  The reload up the potato shells and sprinkle paprika on top.  Put them back in the oven to keep baking for another 20 mins or so.  You can also add chopped broccoli or spinach to add some veggies.

Just don't make mashed potatoes!  My sister did that once and OMG worst mashed potatoes ever!

ETA: Cook the bacon first, I also will grate an onion in with the bacon while it's about 3/4 of the way cooked for extra flavor.
  • Options
    This is the BEST way for me to eat potatoes!

Roast Potatoes (with some sour cream on the side)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I am in love with her! Her Chicken Tortilla soup is seriously the best I have ever had. You will never want to make a different recipe.

• Options
    Homemade tator tots! I made them a few weeks ago when FI and FSS acted like the world may end if there were no tator tots with our burgers. I had potatoes so made them tator tots and I will never buy frozen ones again they were so good!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/aaron-mccargo-jr/homemade-tater-tots-recipe.html
  • Options

Bake a few. Then cut them in half length wise and scoop out the meat.  You can use the meat to make twice baked potatoes.  I add ranch dressing (light or fat free works great!), bacon, cheese, black pepper to taste.  The reload up the potato shells and sprinkle paprika on top.  Put them back in the oven to keep baking for another 20 mins or so.  You can also add chopped broccoli or spinach to add some veggies.

Just don't make mashed potatoes!  My sister did that once and OMG worst mashed potatoes ever!

ETA: Cook the bacon first, I also will grate an onion in with the bacon while it's about 3/4 of the way cooked for extra flavor.

TRAVESTY. You're going with bacon and cheese for crying out loud, you need real ranch!!

• Options
    jenna8984 said:

TRAVESTY. You're going with bacon and cheese for crying out loud, you need real ranch!!

• Options
    edited October 2014

I just bought a 10 lb bag of big, beautiful russets. I'm going to bake a bunch of them and chill the leftovers.

First night - baked potato bar. Butter, corn, chives and parsley from my garden are still growing strong, shredded cheese, canned chili, cubed leftover meatloaf and sour cream. Everyone dresses their own potatoes. For my family, this is a one dish meal.

Next day- peel and slice those chilled potatoes,  salt with kosher or other coarse salt, and smoked paprika. Fry them in butter until brown. Serve as a side with eggs and sausage or bacon, toast. Sometimes we have breakfast for dinner.

I also use russets for pierogi because they are drier than other potatoes so the dough is easy to seal.

• Options
    We are big fans of colcannon around here (mashed potatoes with sauteed kale), leek and potato soup (freezes really well and is dairy-free), and my deep-fried mashed potatoes (chilled mashed potatoes formed into balls, dipped in egg and breadcrumbs, then deep-fried).
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    edited October 2014
    In my potato salad, I don't use eggs, just celery, red potatoes with their skin on, onions, and a little bit of mayonaise, mixed with white vinegar, spicy mustard, and black pepper. I am not a mayonnaise eater, it is the only way I will eat a potato salad. I love scalloped potatoes for white potatoes.  But my favorite potato recipe has to be cummerbund potatoes.  For that recipe, I also use red potatoes, but the small ones. The trick to this recipe is to peel a strip around the width of the potato (giving them cummerbunds).  This allows the herbs to infuse into the potatoes, fully, while you roast them in the oven.

this is a from my favorite potato cookbook (William's Sonoma). I have nicknamed them Cummerbund Potatoes
  • Options
    I don't really have a recipe but I would suggest lots of thick, creamy homemade mashed potatoes. Lots of butter, lots of cream, skin still on, mashed potatoes.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

Oh wow this thread made me so hungry!

I'm not much of a creative cook, but my favourite way to make potatoes are to cut them super thin, boil them for 5 minutes to soften them up, then put them in the oven with olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic and a teensy amount of red pepper flakes. I put them in for around 30 mins or until the edges get crispy. Then the insides are soft, kind of like a French fry. Yum!

____________________________________________________________________________________

• Options
    I usually just go for mashed potatoes with lots of butter and milk but I love potato and leek soup.

Potatoes are awesome.
  • Options
    I'm sure you already ate your potatoes but I like to chop em and grill them with pepper, onions and garlic cloves, mixed in olive oil and old bay.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    loro929 said:
    I don't really have a recipe but I would suggest lots of thick, creamy homemade mashed potatoes. Lots of butter, lots of cream, skin still on, mashed potatoes.
    Only way to make a mashed potato. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards