Wedding Etiquette Forum

NWR Facebook/Work Etiquette

Hi Everyone,

I am mostly a lurker lately, and occasionally ask/answer. You ladies give such great advice, that I figured this would be the perfect place to ask. I am probably over thinking this, but how can I gracefully reject Facebook friend requests from coworkers? I started teaching at a school two months ago, and it's relatively small. I am friendly with everyone, but only "friends" with one person as I knew her previously. I am happy to be friends with everyone, but when people send me friend requests, especially when they are subordinate or in a supervisory position to me, I feel uncomfortable with it. We do have mutual friends however, so I don't want them to feel like I'm rejecting them. Ugh.

Re: NWR Facebook/Work Etiquette

• You could always put them on a restricted list where they can't see any more than they would if they weren't friends with your at all. Or not accept the request which is also an option.
  • You could always put them on a restricted list where they can't see any more than they would if they weren't friends with your at all. Or not accept the request which is also an option.
    Thanks, I thought about the restricted list. I was leaning more toward not accepting the request at all however, I just didn't want it to be awkward.
  • Just don't respond. that's what I've done. When someone said "Hey, I sent you a friend request on facebook, did you see it?" I just told her "Yeah I did, sorry I havent accepted it but I really only have a Facebook to keep in touch with family and personal friends, I've never added people I work with, just because it's my persona life that makes it onto Facebook." This response has usually never been a problem for people to accept (for those who were dense enough to ask me why I haven't responded to their friend request lol)
  • Sounds good, Ladies. Figured  I was over thinking it!
  • I reject co-workers too, but I always just tell them I have a "blanket" rule about it. So far, people understand and don't think it's weird
  • I pretty much accept everyone and keep the FB postings to a minimum. I rarely make any comments or anything I wouldn't want my boss/grandmother/the pope to see and I unfollow pretty much everyone unless I want to see what they post. It's a pretty sweet system. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• larrygaga said:
    I pretty much accept everyone and keep the FB postings to a minimum. I rarely make any comments or anything I wouldn't want my boss/grandmother/the pope to see and I unfollow pretty much everyone unless I want to see what they post. It's a pretty sweet system. 
    I'm the same way.  Although I do not unfollow anyone.

I pretty much only post pictures of the dogs, the pretty scenery, talk about football or say happy birthday.   I never vague post, post anything about work or do any vent posts about life. 

I can't stand a guy I work with or sort-of for, but i'm friends with him so I can keep taps on him and his GF (who works with us also). I learn a lot about them both from FB so it's a benefit.  I do not post much, so they do not learn much of anything other than I live in a beautiful location and almost get heart attacks watching the Eagles.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards