Oregon
Options

When/where are you honeymooning?

Hi Oregon brides!  We are getting married August 25th, and are having a really hard time figuring out where and when to honeymoon.  I picture relaxing on a beach, somewhere tropical, but with options to do some sight seeing and excursions.  We immediately thought of Mexico then realized that it would be REALLY hot at the end of August and probably miserable.  

We have been recommended to do an Alaska cruise, road trip to Yellowstone, week at the beach, Napa Valley, San Diego, Vegas, the Grand Canyon, New York, New Orleans, Central Oregon (I'm from there, so not too exciting)...  But for some reason none of them really get me excited.  We are going to Hawaii in July for a friend's wedding already, and would like to go somewhere new.

We have also thought about doing something low key within driving distance (Oregon coast or a spa) for a few days, then a tropical trip in the winter to get out of the rain, and I think this idea is leading for now.

Where are you guys going, when, and why?  Plane tickets are so expensive from PDX!  I need to find a good balance between my wish list and my frugal wallet :)

Re: When/where are you honeymooning?

• Options
    We got married right before Christmas, so we didn't want to go too far or for long.  We ended up spending 3 nights at the Oregon coast, and we go back most years for our anniversary.  We've stayed at Weiss's Paradise Suites, Inn at the Prom, Gilbert Inn B&B, and rented beach houses through Horizon Rentals.  We would recommend any of them, though I'm partial to Gilbert Inn as the owner is fantastic.  If you stay there, get the top room.

On our list for future trips:  Stephanie Inn, Salmonberry Inn, The Craftsman B&B, The Cannon Beach Hotel, The Hearthstone Inn

• Options
    We did Mexico last summer mid-July. It was hot, yes but we were out by the pool and ocean most of the time. The only time it was really really hot was shopping at the outdoor dirt malls. Even then we just hid in a resturant for a little while had a giant margarita and cooled off. It was amazing and everything is so cheap. I think it's great for an OR bride bc it isn't too far away. You can travel there for a descent price and still feel like you are in paradise.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options
    I'm getting married on 08/25 as well.  We're headed to Mexico for our mini moon since it's fairly close by (and saving up for a month long trip to Africa in June next year).  I think depending on what types of activities you both enjoy doing - you should see what's driveable?  ie - if you love wine - make a mini trip out of Napa or Sonoma, or even the gorge.  Skamania out in the gorge is a fab place to stay and Hood river is a cute town to check out.  There are lots of places out on the beach to stay - I'm sure you can find a vacation rental that fits in your budjet.

hope you find something that works for you.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 223 invited
    image 139 are ready to party!
    image 87 have better things to do
    image 4 cannot find the mailbox

RSVP Date: July 20
  • Options
    We are getting married July 22, and my FBIL is paying for a week at one of the beachfront hotels in Bandon or Gold Beach. Not a super lavish honeymoon, I have my sisters wedding two weeks after mine that I'm a bridesmaid in. And not very much to spend on a honeymoon. ♥
  • Options
    We're doing a short trip down to Palm Springs (sitting by pool, hiking Joshua Tree) & Disneyland right after the wedding (mid Sept) for some relaxing fun. We really want to go to New Zealand for our "real" honeymoon but wanted to go when it was summer there, and knew it would be a really active vacation w/ backpacking & kayaking, not really the lazy, recoup-from-wedding thing, so we'll do that in early 2013.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Oh, Palm Springs is a nice idea, I haven't thought of that and will look into it!  We're also thinking Oregon Coast, but that's something we do anyway.  Mexico is still in the mix because it's tropical, new for us, and fairly inexpensive.

Yvonne, where are you guys going in Mexico, and are you waiting a few days after the wedding before you leave?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_oregon_whenwhere-are-you-honeymooning?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:119Discussion:68c43cfc-5f89-4f91-9212-4372e3c2266dPost:e4bd628a-43d6-4b71-99c5-f7e66be6c1d7">Re: When/where are you honeymooning?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh, Palm Springs is a nice idea, I haven't thought of that and will look into it!  We're also thinking Oregon Coast, but that's something we do anyway.  Mexico is still in the mix because it's tropical, new for us, and fairly inexpensive. Yvonne, where are you guys going in Mexico, and are you waiting a few days after the wedding before you leave?
    Posted by rojacobs[/QUOTE]

<div>we'll be in Cabo San lucas for 3 nights/4 days and hten we'll be driving to a small town called Todos Santos just about 1.5 hours North of Cabo and staying there for an additional 7 nights. since we have a lot of out of state and out of country guests, we're hosting a bbq the day after the wedding on Sunday so people can hang out some more.  We're leaving for MExico on Wedneday morning to hang out with some of the wp members that live out of state and so we can pack and wind down a little</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 223 invited
    image 139 are ready to party!
    image 87 have better things to do
    image 4 cannot find the mailbox

RSVP Date: July 20
  • Options
    We're going to Riviera Maya in December, and read a lot about the year round weather there. I don't think august is the hottest month in that part of Mexico, should be somewhere in the 80s...so don't count it out!
    photo JamieMasonWedding-8992-S.jpg
  • Options
    Hi. My youngest daughter went to Cancun on August 14th a few years back.  She ended up with a hurricane headed toward town 2 days into her trip.  I had to pay lots of $ to fly her next day out of there.  I was a wreck until she made it home.

My other daughter went on her honeymoon August 20th(again, years ago) to Cabo San Lucas.  The hurricane was just starting to brew on the last day of her 7 day trip.

You might want to go somewhere else than Mexico in August, just in case.
  • Options
    We will be going to the Maldive Islands for our Honeymoon! We wanted to pick somewhere tht we could relax, but also somewhere we may never be able to go back to on a normal vacation. The Maldive Islands are a group of exotic islands (always sunny) off of Sri Lanka. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards