Wedding Party

Pittsburgh Bridesmaid Dress Help

Hello!

I'm getting to the point in the wedding planning process where I'm looking at bridesmaid dresses. I found one at Alfred Angelo I really like, and don't think the price is particularly unreasonable. However, one of my bridesmaids is concerned that if we go to a "bridal shop" they'll charge us more than a regular store would. I sort of agree, but also think it would make the search harder; however, I understand being on a budget and am doing what I can. I did some preliminary research, but I guess if your color and style aren't "in season," you're not going to find what you're looking for at a retail store, so I'm a bit stumped. That's one of the perks of going to a bridal shop I suppose: they have every color and style all year round. I'm getting married in July, so I don't want to wait too much longer, especially if there are ordering and/or alteration times involved. Are there stores in the Pittsburgh area that carry nice evening dress at reasonable "non-bridesmaid dress" costs? 

I would really appreciate any help :) Thanks!

Re: Pittsburgh Bridesmaid Dress Help

• I don't live in Pittsburgh but I would recommend any high end Department store like Nordstrom or Saks. Bascially find yourself a store that is in an area of town that caters more to the upper class & you'll find dresses. Now for the affordable part, well that might be harder. Target does have a Bridesmaid option online. Not sure of their quality but they have some cute styles & the prices are great all being under $100. They offer free shipping for orders over $50.00 & free returns to the store. So if you found a dress on there that worked, you could have a BM order one, see how it looks in person & if it works, have the others then order theirs. If the dress doesn't work, you can return it to a local store (assuming you have one near you) and your BM isn't out any money.

• SchreiberdSchreiberd member
    First Comment
    edited October 2014
    When I initially started looking, Nordstrom was the first place that popped up. The kicker is most of those dresses are more expensive than the one I originally found at Alfred Angelo. I've looked at Target, and I am super concerned about the quality. I do want my girls to be able to afford it, but I'd like them to look tasteful. Do you think ordering from somewhere online would be the way to go? I don't do a whole lot of online shopping, so I'm not really familiar with how that would work for BM dresses. I suppose renting could be another option, too. I guess the biggest issue I'm running into with retails stores (after quality) is color. Our colors our silver and cobalt blue, with cobalt being the color of the BM dresses. Not really a fall color, apparently :(
  • If you're going the none bridal store route I recommend making sure all the bridesmaid are ready to buy or you have the ability to front them because sizes can sell out quickly. The Limited is a good place to check, they are always running specials. As far as bridal shops go almost all of Alfred Angelo's dresses are $179 plus alterations, they are very few that are $99 even though all their dresses say $99 - $179. You may want to check Carlisle Bridal, there website isn't very helpful but they are supposed to have reasonable priced bridesmaid dresses.

Most of the bridesmaid dress I have run across in the Pittsburgh area except a few at David's Bridal start at $150 and go up from there. The ladies on hear will all tell you to privately ask each bridesmaid what they are comfortable spending and go with the lowest amount and they are 100% right. This will help you better shop for your bridesmaid dresses.
  • Good fit and a good pressing/steaming will go a long way toward making an inexpensive dress look more expensive. Target and Sears both have lines that offer good options for less expensive dresses (though do consider that alterations can jack up cost very quickly).

As PP said, ask each woman individually what she's comfortable spending. The lowest amount is what you have to work with unless you are willing to make up any difference yourself.

Another option is to give your bridal party the option to find their own dress within a certain color palette - you can search here or on Pinterest for wedding parties that have done this. Some people are comfortable with that and others not, so if it's not for you, don't worry.

You asked if online shopping is the way to go, and it is certainly very convenient especially if one of your bridesmaids is willing to play along and order a few things to see how they look. Just check return policies to make sure you won't be out a lot of money for shipping and whatnot.

Good luck!
  • At first I thought I posted this, because this was me exactly! I was originally super set on the whole "I'm not going to a bridal store" idea (having been in 4 weddings and paying quite a bit, I wanted to make it economically easier on my girls) but, like you, ran in to some trouble with season, availability, etc. I did look at the bridal shops (MB Bride in Greensburg in particular) and found some I liked and at a decent price, but none were quite right. I did what PPs said and went online. I found my dresses on Amazon and it's perfect-- around $60, free shipping, perfect color, etc. (It will need a few alterations but no where near what the girls would need in a bridesmaid dress) I highly suggest Amazon, especially if you are after something specific (and mine was pretty specific). I also checked out Bluefly online and found some nice dresses there too. Nordstrom has nicer dresses, especially online, but often price can be an issue there. Ann Taylor and JCrew also carry "bridesmaid" dresses online too. Hope that helps!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards