Minnesota

May 2015 Wedding! Venue troubles!!!

The deets!

Wedding 5/30/2015 (note: non-negotiable due to school finals of family members, memorial weekend before it, yada yada - this is our wedding right? Why must we cater to others? lol )

Anyway, I am having a SUPER hard time finding a venue that is within our 10K budget and desires for that time. I guess in the wedding world 7 months before a wedding is NOT considered enough time to book a venue. 

As for what we want... Not knocking VFWs or the like, but we like the uplighting/elegant/clubby look of the Profile Event Center, A'bulae, etc. That being said, we are thinking of possibly doing a tent wedding if our venue choices fall through. We know tent weddings can be quite the budget breaker!

Our issue is that we do not have a place in the cities to host it at. We have a family farm in Mankato that is BEAUTIFUL but being that my ENTIRE family is from California - the wedding would pull them away from the cities where most will be vacationing during our wedding time. 

Does anyone have any ideas of outdoor places to hold a tented wedding reception with a LOW rental fee? A farm...a park, etc. etc. Guest list 100 MAX!

Re: May 2015 Wedding! Venue troubles!!!

• You might want to post this on your local board. This is an international board so people are unlikely to be able to offer help. I'm happy to move this to your local board if you tell me which one it is.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • oops! I had no idea - I'm from Minnesota
  • I'll move this now. Thanks!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Have you tried Bayview in Minnetonka?

They quoted me at $1,100 rental and $6,100 food and bev minimum for $6,100 for an April wedding on a Saturday, and offer discounts for Sundays. Fits 140.  Although, this isn't exactly cheap either. 

Here's what the rental includes:
    Our room fee INCLUDES the following:
      Setup and tear down of event space
      White or ivory linens and napkins, some napkin colors available at n/c
      Full place setting including china, glassware and flatware
      Skirting for specialty tables
      Mirror tile with two tea-light candles for each table
      Dance floor
      Banquet Staff, Bartenders, Event Manager on-site
      2 Hours of coordination time with our on-site Wedding Coordinator
      Ample, free parking
     Setup of guest book, place cards, favors, centerpieces, etc. (some restrictions may apply)
      With Buttercream wedding cake/desserts: no cake fee and cake goes towards f&b minimum
      Specialty decor available at an additional charge

A tent rental alone can cost you $1,000 + as my brother did a backyard tented wedding.  After the tent, chair, and table rentals he almost could've had it at an actual venue where they cleaned up after. So that's always something to consider, and price out.

Check out if the place next door to this area "Maynards" does a restaurant buyout.  Both places have gorgeous views of Lake Minnetonka. http://maynards-excelsior.com/
  • I looked at some Golf and Country Clubs that would work. We looked at the Edinburgh USA that just had a $5000 food and beverage minimum with no room rental fee. I think the Golden Valley Golf and Country Club had a similar setup. Both of those are in my area, but you can probably find one in your part of the cities.
  • http://www.dseventcenter.com DS Event center is great...they have lighting etc and you can bring in own booze and catering ... Their calendar shows that date avail
  • Shamrock Hall in Inver Grove Heights rents for $1400 and you can bring in your own food and alcohol. It's gorgeous in there and they even have those strings of white lights draping across the ceiling over the dining tables, as part of the hall.  Huge open dance floor and high A-frame wood beam ceiling.  Capacity for 400, I think.

• MesmrEweMesmrEwe member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited November 2014

I'm going to be honest - what's wrong with having it at your place in Mankato??  It's a beautiful area and much more "Minnesota" than the cities, there are lots of nice hotels in the area as well (never know, one might have the atmosphere you're looking for or one of the many schools/universities down in Mankato also rent out space)...  If you're going to California - would you rather go to a Vineyard setting with family ties or downtown LA... 

Since your date is where it is, your family farm would be a beautiful setting!  That's early enough that the bugs aren't likely fully out yet, temps are comfortable, everything is green/spring flowers, etc.  The Machine Shed if you've got one usually makes a nice building for a gathering (our county has a "June Dairy Breakfast" each year that they just bring in a truckload of gravel, level off the ground, and go if it isn't already cemented), and with 100 max, the logistics are a little easier to work out (bathrooms, tables/chairs - which can usually be rented from either a rental company or Lion's club)... 

Your guests are already coming in from OOT, going down to Mankato isn't going to be out of the realm of possibilities...  Also, there are a lot of nice venues in southern Minnesota you could go with and still stick to your budget!

• I am hosting my reception in South St. Paul at the historic concord exchange building.  It is a beautiful venue that can host both ceremony and reception.  It was originally build in the late 1800's and was used as an office building for businessmen involved in stock exchanges.  It was later turned into a hotel and then a nightclub.  Now it is only open for weddings and other events.  It is a gorgeous and very unique venue with a lot to offer!  Check out their website and facebook for more details.  If you are interested, know that they are willing to work with you on budget.  When I first looked them up, I thought they would be out of my price range, but once I spoke with the event coordinator she said they were willing to negotiate.  My wedding budget is also 10k and we are going to be able to make it work there.  Best of luck!
  • You should look into 5120 Restaurant and Onyx Bar. I just booked them for my 2016 wedding. The price is completely reasonable. 2500 food and beverage min with no rental fee, all drinks other than alcohol are included in the dinner cost. It's located inside the Country Inn and Suites in Bloomington and they offer free shuttle within 5 miles for all of your out of town guests. And it is GORGEOUS!! 5120mn.com - Check it out!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards