DIY Wedding Forum
Options

DIY draping - how to do this?

I found a picture of an indoor ceremony at my venue that looks lovely and I'm trying to figure out how to do the fabric drapes around the door. I'm hoping you ladies can help me figure out what kind of fabric to buy and how to hang it like this, because I am clueless. The rental company we're working with has pipe and drape in 10' sections, but that seems too big for the room. So...how do I DIY this?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: DIY draping - how to do this?

• Options
    Do you have measurements for the ceiling height and the width of that middle space?
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    beethery said:
    Do you have measurements for the ceiling height and the width of that middle space?
    Not yet, but I'm stopping by the venue tomorrow to figure all those things out. I'm guessing the door way is about 6' wide.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    So do you only want the fabric to hit the top of the door?  Because in the picture the fabric is hung way above the door frame.

And 10 foot panels, is that 10 foot wide?  What are the lengths of the panels?

10 feet wide is really not that huge because you have to take into account that you will be bunching it together, so depending on how wide the door is you could definitely use 2 panels (one on either side) to have a nice full look.

And since that picture is from your venue ask them if they know how the draping was hung.

• Options
    beetherybeethery member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2014
    blabla89 said:
    beethery said:
    Not yet, but I'm stopping by the venue tomorrow to figure all those things out. I'm guessing the door way is about 6' wide.
    I bought cheapie curtains/drape things on amazon. I'm going to hang them up with 3M hooks holding up some metal rods (link).*

Here's the cheapie curtains: (link)

Here's the cheapie drape things: (link) They don't have a pocket so they're literally just for draping all scarf-like. If you want to use those I'd recommend sewing a pocket across the top. I also got them for $7.05 so look for a sale on those since they're priced higher now.

*My venue's rules stipulate you can only stick things to the wall with painter's tape. Well, I tested it out at home and those 3M things will stick really nicely to the tape and stay on the wall strong as hell with some lighter-weight stuff like what I'm doing. 
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    I would never have thought about putting those 3M hooks on top of the painters tape - awesome idea!!

Thanks!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards