Chit Chat

so...who loves their stove/range?

RebeccaB88RebeccaB88 member
First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
edited October 2014 in Chit Chat
My oven died.  A mouse got into the main control board and fried it.  And, of course, KitchenAid doesn't make a replacement control board for my model range anymore.  (If they did, it would cost over $1000 to get it and repair the range. More than it's worth now.) 

So. I'm going to the appliance outlet tomorrow to see what I can find.  My budget is LOW - absolute max of $1000, all inclusive, but the closer I get to $500, the happier I'll be. That's why I'm going to the outlet - they have floor models, scratch and dent models, open boxes, all with full warrantees and any applicable rebates.  I've narrowed it down to several GE and Frigidaire models, based on friend's recommendations, online research, and going to the regular store and playing with the floor models there. They also carry KitchenAid, Electrolux, Whirlpool, and Bosch, but said I'll find mainly GE and Frigidaire at the outlet, which is OK because those two brands have the best repair records I can find.  And then there's my budget.  I'm trying to decide how much I'm willing to sacrifice for the sake of my budget.  A self cleaning oven is non-negotiable, as is a high BTU power burner.  Beyond that, I don't know yet. 

Anyone here love their stove/range and want to recommend it?  I cook and bake a LOT.

ETA: The mouse problem is fixed, no thanks to the useless lump of fur that calls herself a cat.

Re: so...who loves their stove/range?

• I know what I do not like -  glass tops.  I HATE glass top ranges.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I don't even know what kind I have now, but I know my mom bought one of the stoves that have the flat glass top and she absolutely LOVES it.  It is the easiest thing in the world to clean instead of having to soak and scrub the nasty drip pans on the burners.

When we do get a new stove/oven, DH and I are in disagreement because I love the ease of cleaning the glass top but he wants a gas stove.  We decided to shelf that argument until we are actually shopping for a stove.

• lyndausvi said:

I know what I do not like -  glass tops.  I HATE glass top ranges.

Me too! And of course that's what we have right now. It came with the house we bought. We're still deciding how we want to redo the kitchen so haven't purchased a new one yet. I cannot wait!

When we do buy, I'll be hitting up consumer reports and heavily basing my decision off that.
    *********************************************************************************

• They are such a PITA to clean.   Plus DH being a chef is a flipper.   That scratches the surface. 

We rent now, so do not have a choice.  Although there is a kenmore gas range here and we like it.    When we buy a gas range will be a must.  Not sure which one though.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • @lyndausvi‌ - yes! Same here. We had our fireplace converted to gas last year and we had the guy do the prep work for a gas range at the same time. I don't know exactly what I want, but I know I want gas!
    *********************************************************************************

• lyndausvi said:
    They are such a PITA to clean.   Plus DH being a chef is a flipper.   That scratches the surface. 

We rent now, so do not have a choice.  Although there is a kenmore gas range here and we like it.    When we buy a gas range will be a must.  Not sure which one though.

Yeah, I have heard that the glass tops can scratch easily.  My mom has had hers for several years and it hasn't been an issue for her, but she's pretty calm with her cooking.  She still says it was the best purchase she ever made.  But, my DH is he type that can get pretty crazy in the kitchen, so I would bet it wouldn't hold up as well in our kitchen as it does in hers. But, DH is also a VERY messy cook and we replace our drip pans about twice a year because they get so dirty that it's impossible to clean them (and we've tried all the tricks) and easier to just replace them.

• lyndausvi said:
    I know what I do not like -  glass tops.  I HATE glass top ranges.
    Whoops. I should have mentioned it's going to be a gas range. That's a requirement. I HATE electric and hate induction and glass tops even more.  Electric and induction are useless to me.
  • lyndausvi said:
    They are such a PITA to clean.   Plus DH being a chef is a flipper.   That scratches the surface. 

I hate the glass top on my stove. There are spots on it that I can't clean no matter what :((((

My parents have one of these (CLICK - GR486 Model) and I COVET IT. I would kill for a gas stove at our house.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• beethery said:
    lyndausvi said:

I hate the glass top on my stove. There are spots on it that I can't clean no matter what :((((

My parents have one of these (CLICK - GR486 Model) and I COVET IT. I would kill for a gas stove at our house.
    DH would love that in our kitchen.  

• slothiegalslothiegal member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited October 2014
    beethery said: lyndausvi said: They are such a PITA to clean.   Plus DH being a chef is a flipper.   That scratches the surface. 
    We rent now, so do not have a choice.  Although there is a kenmore gas range here and we like it.    When we buy a gas range will be a must.  Not sure which one though. I hate the glass top on my stove. There are spots on it that I can't clean no matter what :((((

----------------------
    OMFG that is
    beautiful.

Ours is so itty bitty, we can't use half of our cooking/baking things because they don't fit on the range or in the oven.  Drives H up the wall.

WHAT IS THIS, AN OVEN FOR ANTS?

eta stupid boxes
    Anniversary

• I think they got it for less than half retail price. Some super rich lady bought it, didn't like how it LOOKED (!!!!!!!) in her kitchen, and made a big stink about returning it. My parents got an insane deal on the reject stove.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• I never bought a stove but I will always buy gas when I grow up and am a homeowner
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• beethery said:

GAH! Yes!  I covet the 60" dual fuel range, but I'd have to rewire my home, rip out a wall of cabinetry, and come up with $16,000 to get it.  Just a little out of my budget.

My sister loves her induction stove. I don't get it.
  • We bought an LG double oven last year.  LOVE it!  Makes hosting parties a lot easier!
  • beethery said:
    lyndausvi said:

----------------------

OMFG that is beautiful.

Ours is so itty bitty, we can't use half of our cooking/baking things because they don't fit on the range or in the oven.  Drives H up the wall.

WHAT IS THIS, AN OVEN FOR ANTS?

eta stupid boxes god damn polly pocket stove!
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• I have a Frigidaire gas that came with our house. I think it's this one. HATE it. HATE HATE HATE. 

The stovetop is super difficult to clean because of all of the ridges and bumps. Plus it's enamel, so I can't see most of the dirt on it. My parents have a stainless stovetop on theirs, and it's super easy to clean. 

It emits heat like crazy. Like if I leave a pan on the stove while the oven is on, the pan will burn my hand. This is the worst feature. I have already burned myself a few times. 

I can barely fit pots on it together. Of course I have large pots and pans, but still annoying to have to rearrange everything. 

It isn't a convection oven, which I know it isn't made to be one, but I really miss having convection. 
    Anniversary

• Sugargirl1019Sugargirl1019 member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited October 2014
    We are getting a Whirlpool gas range in our house.

http://www.whirlpool.com/-[WCG51US6DS]-1022314/WCG51US6DS/

That one. I can't tell you how I love it yet though. But I'm so excited for a gas stainless steel 5 burner range!

Edited... I realize this is not an oven combination.. I looked at its counterpart in a slide in with an oven, and it was way over your budget. I'm sorry! :(

image   image   image

• I detest glass tops. My parents have one and I can't stand it. 

Before I moved to New York, I always had electric and couldn't understand why people were so obsessed with gas. Until I got a gas stove and I realized what the hype was all about. They truly are superior.

We rent now and the range here is fine, but I wouldn't say I love it. But wbeethery posted about and it was ALMOST enough to make me want to buy it.
  • Sugargirl1019Sugargirl1019 member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited October 2014
    What about this?
    http://www.whirlpool.com/-[WFG505M0BS]-1022061/WFG505M0BS/

5 burners!

Edit: I was reading reviews and somebody got it on sale for 613 in a store... Might be worth looking into! I know its Whirlpool and not GE or Frigidaire, but...

image   image   image

• We have a GE truetemp 5 burner gas stove with self cleaning oven, and it's great. It came with the house, so I have no idea how much it costs. I haven't had any problems with it.

• slothiegal where did you get that giraffe tea kettle? So cute!

• I don't like mine.  Get a glass top!!!  The past two houses I've lived in plus our current house have those awful spiral ranges on them.  They get so dirty and they are so hard to clean!  Growing up, we had a glass top, and it cleaned off so easily.  H doesn't like them, and says they heat unevenly (whatever, the food was always good) but I want one just for the cleanliness factor. You just wipe them off.  No pulling the metal piece out of the bottom and lifting up the spiral thingy.
  • I have something really close to this

But it has a griddle in the center. I thought at the time  "oh how cool a griddle" 

I never use the griddle. But, the model I have all the range tops (whatever the name is for them) are removable so you can clean underneath. I really care about ease of cleaning. As far as everything else, I've had it about 7 years, never a problem with it. I'd recommend GE all the way. And they have a lot of options under $1000.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • OK, so I went to the outlet store as soon as they opened this morning.  Had all my research in hand, with my list of top GE and Frigidaire models.  The ONLY one on any of my lists that they had was my top pick of all of them, that I didn't think I'd be able to get because of the cost. And they had ONE. A floor model, never used. Just some sticky label residue that some Goo Gone will take off easily.  We talked a bit...asked for their best deal...and went for it! 

http://products.geappliances.com/ApplProducts/Dispatcher?REQUEST=SpecPage&Sku=JGB750SEFSS

Retails at $1100, I got it for $700, including delivery and installation, removal of my old stove, a 5 year warrantee, and a nice rebate from the gas company for buying an efficient unit.  It's $100 more than I really wanted to go, but dang...there's stuff on this that I didn't have on my Kitchen Aid. It'll be here Monday morning!
  • Very nice!

We bought a new stove at our local outlet store a few months ago. It was a $1000 Frigidaire that we got for $600, with all the bells and whistles you got. I'm in love with it but never remembered to look up the model while at home.

I love negotiating at these places. We bought a new fridge at the same time (we knew the fridge was dying but were caught by surprise on the stove- decided to get both at once) and managed to negotiate that down even further. In the end, we got $2500 worth of new appliances delivered for $1200. The only downside was that we didn't get my dream fridge- there are very few in the style I love in the right size- and those were ridiculously expensive. But I'm ok with that.

Goo Gone was a huge help with the stickers for me. Just be careful- it's super-easy to scratch the surface.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards