Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Groupon Honeymoon?

Hi all,

I was just curious if anyone has used a Groupon deal for their honeymoon. We're considering doing something like that because we're paying for it ourselves and don't make a ton of money right now. 

A co-worker had asked me the other day what we were thinking of for our honeymoon and when I said "I'm not sure exactly where yet, maybe somewhere in the Caribbean and Groupon seems to have some good options" she responded with "aren't you afraid of being treated like a second-class citizen because you got the trip with Groupon?" I'm not sure if that comment comes from a place of truth or if it's just because she's pretty well-off.

Does this actually happen? I've never used Groupon before, I pretty much signed up for it hoping they'd have vacation and spa deals when I got engaged a couple months back, so any feedback is much appreciated.
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Groupon Honeymoon?

• Options
    Groupons can be a great deal, but you have to be super flexible. The resorts only allot a certain number of rooms at certain times. So, if you want to go immediately after your wedding, you'll need to double check with the resort prior to buying the groupon that the resort has space. You'll also have to check the airfare rates. The Groupon may be a great deal, but the airfare may be super expensive and you end up not saving any money in the end.

As far as being treated like a second class citizen, there is truth to some of that. Resorts will bump people who booked with Groupon or with online agencies (Expedia, Orbitz) if they are oversold.

• Options
    I've only ever used a Groupon at a restaurant. And the staff did treat us like crap once we told them. We had terrible service and almost walked out in the middle of the meal. I had eaten at this restaurant more than once before without a Groupon and was never treated poorly.
    I have no idea if the same kind of treatment could be expected at a resort.
  • Options
    We used Groupon deals for our hotel in Niagara Falls, but we researched the hotel first to make sure we liked the location and we checked out the reviews of the hotel on some of the regular travel sites first. Then finally we checked on availability to make sure the dates worked with when we wanted to go (groupon is good about letting you check on that before buying). Also as with any Groupon deal, make sure you read through the full deal to make sure you've read all the fine print so that you won't have any surprises.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards