Getting in Shape
Options

XP from NEY: Anyone have a CamelBak?

I figured out what to get my MoH - a Camelbak! She's a hiker who tends to run out of water. Problem is, I don't know what parts she needs. She loves her backpack so much she had it repaired when it fell apart rather than replace it, so getting her one of the built-in systems wouldn't be quite right. Can anyone help me with what parts I need to get her?

And would the All Clear system (link3) perhaps be better for someone like her? I'm not a hiker, so I'm out of my league. Thanks in advance!

Re: XP from NEY: Anyone have a CamelBak?

• Options
    I'm a hiker.  I think you are on the right track getting her the removable one that she can fit into her backpack (as long as her pack has enough room to fit it)  

From the looks of it, no extra parts are necessary.  I would guess she positions the zipper so the hose comes out between the two zippers and the rest just sits in the pack.  

On the other hand, there is the added benefit of the filtration system (from the 3rd link) which would allow her to get water from a stream (but that also depends on if she has access to a stream or running water source)

If you live near an REI or a sporting store (one geared more towards hiking) I would stop in and talk to someone.  They will be able to figure out what is best.  But both seem like good options.  

• Options
    I am an avid hiker and have two CamelBaks that I love. I use them constantly. From your links and description I am not quite clear what your MOH needs. Sounds like she already has a working CamelBak pack? Certainly new reservoirs or even new hoses and mouth pieces for CamelBaks are always great. (I periodically have to replace mine, though they do last a really long time.) Which reservoir depends on the type of pack and size. In general I prefer a 100L reservoir because I do not have to fill it all the way, but the option is there if I'm doing a very long hike. 

If you're looking for another option to give her, how about a SteriPen? They are phenomenal for backpackers or hikers who tend to run out of water. They are a UV purifying device that is super light weight. They eliminate all types of bugs that can be in water and can even be used in 3rd world countries (because they eliminate viruses as well). I personally would not like a filtration water bottle because I prefer the convenience of the hydration pack. I can hydrate while I'm moving instead of stopping to get out a water bottle. 

If you have a little bit more money to spend, you could really splurge on a GPS watch. I would love love love one. They track distance, time, etc. So you can see how far you've gone hiking and what your current pace is. REI GPS Watches

Or if you are uncertain what she might like or can't quite afford what you'd like to get her, you could always get her a gift card to a sporting goods store. I am a huge fan of REI (great products, customer service, and return policy) and am always ecstatic to get gift cards there. 
  • Options
    @weddingcactus, to be honest, I'm not sure what she needs either. I know she doesn't have a CamelBak pack. I'd basically need to get her the whole system, but not the backpack itself since she loves her Jansport beyond all reason. The SteriPen looks like a great idea, too! I don't have the money to spend for a GPS watch, and I know her main issue is hydration when she's hiking. She had a former hiking buddy who had a CamelBak, and she was always really jealous, which is why I thought that would be a good idea.
  • Options
    Does she like camping at all?  And what kind of hiking does she do? 

The CamelBak backpack may still be a good idea despite her loving her jansport.  For hikes in hot weather, she could use the camelbak to stay hydrated and colder weather hikes, her normal backpack.  

Do you know which jansports backpack she has?  
  • Options
    Yes, it may still be a good idea to get her a CamelBak. As I mentioned, I have two. (Ok, complete honesty here, I also have a 3rd hydration pack: a Nathan which is designed for trail running so it's less bouncy when I'm running instead of hiking). I use every one, just each in different cases. I also sometimes take the hydration bladder out and put it in a different pack (such as a backpacking pack). That may work in her Jansport. The one issue might be that if her Jansport isn't designed for a hydration bladder, it won't have a nice pocket to hold it. So buying her a full CamelBak pack may be a good solution so she can go with either option. If you know which Jansport she has (as kk111415 asked), maybe that could help pick out a good CamelBak for her. 
  • Options
    Ok, thanks for all the help. I'll see if I can covertly find out what Jansport she has - or at least what size, features, etc. - and get back to you when I have that info.
  • Options
    I have no help to offer but... that's an amazing MOH gift :) that's so thoughtful, personal and overall lovely.
  • Options
    @keptinstitches  I just saw a great selection of camelbak pouch systems that you can put in a backpack.  I also saw a couple of the backpacks and was in love with them! They even have lumbar packs (one in pink which was cute) that holds 50ML of water.  The one I saw was around $50 and yes... probably gets  bad rap since it's similar to a fanny pack- but it's great because you don't have to carry it on your shoulders.

Even though she's in love with her backpack, I think she would still love a camelbak backpack. It's possible that she fixes hers because she doesn't want to spend the $$ on a new one which I totally understand.  But the backpacks are great quality and she will definitely get some great use out of it!  

• Options
    edited December 2014
    I have an Osprey Hydraulics reservoir (see this) and I love it! Its great advantage over a lot of other reservoirs (made by Camelbak or other brands) is its rigid back. As has been brought up by PPs, the big problem with regular bladders is that they tend to move around a lot inside the packs, which is why a lot of people were suggesting getting the special packs that have a sleeve that holds it in place. However, I find that a special sleeve in the pack is not necessary with the rigid bladders. This way your MOH can use her favorite Jansport or whatever bag she wants.

The "Unbottle" model by Camelbak also has a rigid back, but I wouldn't recommend them because my fiancee had one that started leaking after only a few months of use.

I'm an avid hiker and have used my Osprey reservoir on countless dayhikes as well as 2 extended (2+ weeks) backpacking trips. I have three different packs - one small lightweight packable daypack (which only has a single inner compartment - no sleeve, no special tubing holes! I just pull the tubing through the zipper and it works great), one larger more rigid daypack, and one big backpacking pack. With this guy I just put it into whatever pack I need and go! It has held up well for over 2 years. I have the 3L size but 2L should be sufficient for day hikes and at a slightly smaller size it would be more likely to fit into multiple different bags.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards