April 2015 Weddings

Advice on intercultural wedding.

Hello All,

I am finding myself in a hard spot with my family (Buddhist religion) and my FHF's family (Protestant) when trying to figure out a common ground on how to organize our wedding day.  Me and my FHF had agreed to do an Asian ceremony and then an American reception, because I did not want to have two wedding days (Also because it is just out of our budget). But to do the Asian wedding ceremony my mother had wanted it to be small and intimate and at our home.  My FHF wants to have it a Buddhist temple because we are looking at about 150 guests, though not half will go but we will have the space there if people do show. My delimma is which way to go? Would it be better if I just had an American ceremony and an asian reception? Or do I just do a small Asian wedding so I could just do a full blown American wedding? I don't want to go against my mother and at the same time I don't want to disappoint the person I am looking forward to spending my whole life with. I feel stuck and the wedding is just months away....  

Re: Advice on intercultural wedding.

• I feel like you need to do what you want. It's hard going against our parents, but it is your wedding. If you are both equally religious, then it's important for you two to compromise and have an equal reflection of both religions. I don't have any experience with working two religions into a wedding, so I hope this helps a little bit!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I would say you need to do what you and your fiancé want. It is your weeding and you don't want to be disappointed afterwards because you didn't do what you wanted. It is hard to disappoint the FMIL but you have to do what makes YOU happy. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards