Registry and Gift Forum

So I've been saying I wouldn't register but...

Brace yourselves for the most first-world problem ever...

FMIL is really on my case about a registry. We're having a very small DW and I really don't anticipate gifts from, well, anyone who's attending, but she's claiming that (not invited) extended family want to buy stuff, etc., and is just adamant and was having NONE of my "Well, you know we live in a small apartment and I've been on my own for ten years and we really don't need anything." She is convinced that that's not a suitable answer and that "people" are specifically asking her for a registry and don't want to give cash or buy stuff we don't need...so, okay, FMIL, sure, but I'm kind of at a loss for what to put on the thing.

I'm an avid cook and I already have high-quality kitchen everything and all the gadgets I could need, tons of glassware/entertaining stuff, no room for china, have a bunch of small appliances, etc. So is it going to be really bizarre to have a registry with, like...a couple of vegetable peelers, some silicone baking mats, a few serving dishes, throw pillows, and some new sheets? I have a couple kitchen hand tools that are in need of replacing and I suppose new sheets are always nice, but we really just don't have the space or a big need for anything apart from some random items (new pastry crimper? Replacement whisk for my Kitchenaid?) Is it a faux pas to have just weird odd and ends on a registry and none of the usual stuff like flatware, glasses, towels, pots & pans?

I have no idea how many people are even going to buy us stuff, so I don't even know how much stuff I should put on this thing. I'm so lost.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: So I've been saying I wouldn't register but...

• As long as you're not having a shower, I think you're fine. You're still giving people who want to give a physical gift options on what you need/want, and most people will probably look at it be like "They seem pretty set, so I'll just give cash"

Anniversary
  • I see no problem with that. Don't forget nice bath towels!

• That is reassuring. Thanks, ladies!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • More towels and sheets are never a bad thing, seriously. If you're not having a shower and this registry will just spread by word of mouth, I wouldn't worry about it too much. 
  • DEFINITELY no shower, just the idea makes me panicky.

I don't think I can even put towels on the thing - we probably have 12 full and barely used sets and no linen closet. I seriously have so much stuff. My mother has been buying me home goods for every occasion for the past ten years, probably because I kept telling her I was not ever going to want to get married, haha.

I made a registry at Bed Bath and Beyond last night with twenty things on it, all completely random. But hopefully it'll make FMIL happy, and I guess in the unlikely event that people actually buy us stuff off it I could add stuff. And store it in my parents' house until we have more space. Ugh. I'm grateful that people apparently like us and want to give us gifts, honestly. I just don't need stuff....

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Good! At least now there IS a registry so your FMIL can calm down, and if people buy out everything on the registry, other people can get you a gift card for BBB or just give you cash. It's not like you didn't try. 
  • Sorry this is random and a little late. Maybe a quick-temp thermometer with a thermocouple (if you really like cooking).

If she pushes more, note other places than BBB to your FMIL you may want GC's from for her reference. Not that you are asking, but gives her something of a "plan" and possibly reduce her pushing registry stuff.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards