Snarky Brides

"Your dad doesn't like to leave the dogs, so...."

2»

Re: "Your dad doesn't like to leave the dogs, so...."

• After much thinking and taking into account all of your very appreciated input, we've decided to have it locally.  It just hurt to hear that my parents wouldn't come to my wedding, I think.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • That is ridiculous about the dogs, but also note it is difficult to get married in the UK or Ireland without residency. It isn't impossible, but it would require you to get visas and stay for a certain amount of time beforehand usually 4-8 weeks. Are you or your Fi an EU citizen?

His behaviour is silly, but this might be an impossible option for a lot of other reasons. 
    I had no idea, that's really great information.  No, neither of us are EU citizens (though had I not started dating FI when I did, I would have seriously considered trying to move to London somehow).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • mrsdee15 said:
    After much thinking and taking into account all of your very appreciated input, we've decided to have it locally.  It just hurt to hear that my parents wouldn't come to my wedding, I think.  
    I would be hurt as well and you are completely justified to feel that way.  Good luck on all your wedding planning!

• mrsdee15 said:
    After much thinking and taking into account all of your very appreciated input, we've decided to have it locally.  It just hurt to hear that my parents wouldn't come to my wedding, I think.  
    I would be hurt as well and you are completely justified to feel that way.  Good luck on all your wedding planning!
    Thank you so much!!! I guess it's time to really start nailing things down.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • doeydo said:
    But they could bring the dogs to Ireland couldn't they?  And leave them at a pet friendly hotel during the wedding?  
    I am hoping that this was sarcastic, but I can't really tell.  Flying dogs anywhere is really stressful for the dogs.  You have to drug them and then they are stowed in a storage compartment which is loud and devoid of humans and a strange place that they will not recognize.  Add that into having to transport the dogs to the airport and then through the airport in crates and then handing them off to people they don't know.

Then leaving them in a hotel room that is unfamiliar?  Yeah, I could see that all going really badly and OPs Father being even more stressed then if he left the dogs at home with people he could trust.
    Also, shipping animals internationally adds a whole other layer of problems, e.g. quarantines, health certificates, extra shots.

• I know how you feel, OP. My stepdad refuses to find someone to watch his dog, and is leaving in the middle of my reception to check on him AND leaving the reception early to go back home to it, which means my MOM will be forced to leave early as well. All of our other close family is staying at the hotel with us, so I'm a little irritated that for ONE night they can't make an exception.

But they're adults, so there's nothing I can do about it. I'm sure I'll be having such a great time anyway that if they want to leave early, it's their loss and I'll be fine ;) 
  • raissyraisraissyrais member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited November 2014
    mrsdee15 said:
    That is ridiculous about the dogs, but also note it is difficult to get married in the UK or Ireland without residency. It isn't impossible, but it would require you to get visas and stay for a certain amount of time beforehand usually 4-8 weeks. Are you or your Fi an EU citizen?

His behaviour is silly, but this might be an impossible option for a lot of other reasons. 
    I had no idea, that's really great information.  No, neither of us are EU citizens (though had I not started dating FI when I did, I would have seriously considered trying to move to London somehow).
    @mrsdee15 I just moved to the UK in September on a Fiance Visa and will move on to my Spousal Visa soon, you can PM me if you need any info! It's a bit of work for the Fiance Visa if you're planning to live here but if it is only to get married you do need a Marriage Visa.

Edt: Tag
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • So it sounds like you figured out that this wasn't really an option for you, but what the fuck? Who says they won't attend their child's wedding over something like this?
  • doeydo said:
    doeydo said:
    But they could bring the dogs to Ireland couldn't they?  And leave them at a pet friendly hotel during the wedding?  
    I am hoping that this was sarcastic, but I can't really tell.  Flying dogs anywhere is really stressful for the dogs.  You have to drug them and then they are stowed in a storage compartment which is loud and devoid of humans and a strange place that they will not recognize.  Add that into having to transport the dogs to the airport and then through the airport in crates and then handing them off to people they don't know.

Then leaving them in a hotel room that is unfamiliar?  Yeah, I could see that all going really badly and OPs Father being even more stressed then if he left the dogs at home with people he could trust.
    I guess it would depend on the dogs.  I used to cat sit for this lady who would travel a lot for work.  She would bring her standard poodle along but not her cat (the  dog could handle the flights and changes but the cat couldn't).  
    After reading more from the OP, though, it almost seems to be an unhealthy obsession her dad has with these dogs (this coming from someone who loves animals and treats her cats like her babies).   
    Edited for clarity
    That's rich, coming from someone who would argue that her cat's (and LIL BUB'S) life is of more value than a disabled human.
  • mrsdee15 said:
    That is ridiculous about the dogs, but also note it is difficult to get married in the UK or Ireland without residency. It isn't impossible, but it would require you to get visas and stay for a certain amount of time beforehand usually 4-8 weeks. Are you or your Fi an EU citizen?

@mrsdee15 I just moved to the UK in September on a Fiance Visa and will move on to my Spousal Visa soon, you can PM me if you need any info! It's a bit of work for the Fiance Visa if you're planning to live here but if it is only to get married you do need a Marriage Visa.

That is only for if your spouse is a UK citizen. Neither OP nor her fi are even EU citizens. 
  • So it sounds like you figured out that this wasn't really an option for you, but what the fuck? Who says they won't attend their child's wedding over something like this?
    Yeah we decided against it (clearly we had no idea what we would need to be doing or if we would even be able to do it, lots of really interesting and helpful info from PPs).  But them saying they wouldn't attend did sting.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Perhaps the dad gets more love and emotional sustenance from his dogs, than from the people in his life.
  • mrsdee15 said:

That is only for if your spouse is a UK citizen. Neither OP nor her fi are even EU citizens. 
    Ok, I thought her FI was EU. Then they'll both need a Marriage Visa or Permission.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards