Wedding Invitations & Paper

Save the Date address etiquette????

I am getting ready to send out my save the dates, but I am having a really hard time with all of the address etiquette stuff.. I have two main questions specifically for save the dates... First of all, do I address the Save the Dates just like I would the outer envelope of the invites? If not, what should I do differently? For example, if i want to invite Mr. & Mrs. Jones and their children, how do I indicate that the children are also invited?

Also, I plan on hand writing the addresses for the invites, but is it frowned upon to use clear labels with a cursive script print for the address on the save the date envelope?? It would be so much easier to do labels for this, but I was not sure if that is tacky.

Please let me know any of your thoughts or experience with this....I can use all the help I can get!! Thank you!!!

Re: Save the Date address etiquette????

• Labels are a victimless crime. For STDs, you can list all names or just put "The Smith Family."
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • So you would not do clear labels with a cursive font for STDs Addie??
  • Labels are technically against etiquette, but like Addie said, they're a victimless crime. Go ahead and use them if you want.
  • STDs are relatively new and less formal than invitations. Clear address labels are fine.

The most important STD etiquette rule is that once you send them, you must honor them with follow up invitations. Make sure your guest list is firm before you send out the STDs.

• So you would not do clear labels with a cursive font for STDs Addie??

By saying they are a victimless crime, I meant that I would do them if I wanted to. Some people are die hard anti label, but they don't hurt anyone and aren't scandalously tacky. There might be a few who would side eye it, and if you think you have any of those, hand write theirs. The masses, however, probably won't care or really even notice.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2014
    Al personal mail should be addressed by hand.  Wedding invitations are no different than any other kind of personal mail.
    Business mail may be addressed by computer or labels.

That is the correct etiquette for mail.  Now, reality is that many people don't bother with this.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I was just having the same issue! I was writing out a few thank you card envelopes and I hate my writing.  I decided clear labels are best- might be against etiquette but there's no way I can write out 100 save the date envelopes.
  • OP, I think you're fine to use labels on the STDs. Address it to whomever is being invited. Ditto on using "The Smith Family" if everyone is invited. 

• Most wedding items I have received from couples have been labels for the addresses. I think it is easier to print out four copies (STD, invites, replys, thank-you cards) then hand writing everything.

I plan on labels since I do not have the best hand writing nor does my FI- with the exception of thank-you cards. They will all have a individual note :) 
  • I wouldn't side eye labels, even though I know they aren't correct for personal correspondence. It's just not that big of a blunder.

You don't have to be formal with titles, but address the STD like an invitation. I wouldn't do "The Smith Family" on an STD for the same reasons you don't do it on an invitation. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards