Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

What kind of bouquet goes with my dress/body shape??

I want to make my bouquet tonight but Im not sure what kind would look best or how full to make it! I know there are all kinds of bouquets, round, cascade, arm spray etc. And I cant tell if Im hourglass shape of pear shape. I read that you should also take your body shape into consideration when picking your bouquet. Really need some kind of advice or help! 

Re: What kind of bouquet goes with my dress/body shape??

• Options
    1) LOVE your dress! 2) How formal is your ceremony? A spray is less formal than, say, a cascade, pageant, or nosegay.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited November 2014
  • Options
    Its a winter wedding, traditional, and kinda formal. 
  • Options
    I'm thinking cascade, it'll help to elongate your body. Not too big, though, you don't want to detract from the beading on the dress.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I've never heard that before. I personally think cascade bouquets are dated.

• Options
    I think you can never go wrong with a round bouquet.

image   image   image

• Options
    You're only going to be holding it for a short period of time...  I would just go with what you like and what's in your budget! 
  • Options
    This.  And I absolutely detest arm sprays.  Just add a pageant wave you would be set.

What you really need to take into consideration is the size bouquet compared to you.  If you have an itty-bitty bouquet but have a larger frame it could look odd.  If you have a huge ass bouquet and a smaller frame it could be overwhelming.  But really in the end you carry a bouquet you love rather then if it will compliment your body shape.

As for me I broke the "rule" and had a large ass bouquet that was probably 1.5 times the size of my head.  Why?  Because that is what I wanted and I freaking loved it.  Not once did I think, hmm, this really doesn't go with my body size.

Let's all stop over thinking such minuscule things, okay?

• Options
    I'm of similar body shape, I've attached pictures of my flowers with me and just the flowers. I didn't want to go too big with the flowers because they would have taken away from my dress to much during photos and when walking down the isle.  Hopefully this helps give you an idea of how big you may or may not want to go.
  • Options
    This.  And I absolutely detest arm sprays.  Just add a pageant wave you would be set.

What you really need to take into consideration is the size bouquet compared to you.  If you have an itty-bitty bouquet but have a larger frame it could look odd.  If you have a huge ass bouquet and a smaller frame it could be overwhelming.  But really in the end you carry a bouquet you love rather then if it will compliment your body shape.

As for me I broke the "rule" and had a large ass bouquet that was probably 1.5 times the size of my head.  Why?  Because that is what I wanted and I freaking loved it.  Not once did I think, hmm, this really doesn't go with my body size.

An acquaintance of mine recently got married... teeny tiny girl with a big-ass cascade bouquet. She looked like she belonged in an 80's soap opera. :-p

• Options
    @lolo883 - Cascade bouquets should just disappear forever and any florist who suggests a cascade should be shut down!  Blech.

• Options
    I'm not a bouquet expert, so can someone explain why cascades are dated/blech, etc? I guess I was sort of thinking flowers are just flowers and wouldn't become dated like fashion does. 

The comments about making sure the bouquet is proportional to your fame seems very reasonable to me. 
  • Options
    Wait, there are different bouquet shapes? And they're supposed to match my body shape? FML I'm sure I'll do it all wrong haha I just thought they were just round oops
  • Options
    FYBI (for your bouquet information) - image

• Options
    And then you have something like this that has no idea what type of bouquet it wants to be...

• Options
    jenna8984 said:
    FYBI (for your bouquet information) - image
    You know when they show men 5 shades of red that are slightly different but he only sees 1 shade? This is how I feel right now....nosegay, posey, hand tied, round all look identical to me. lol
    LOL!  I know, right!  The nosegay, posey, hand tied and round are basically all the same thing.  The only difference is the overall size once it is done.  The only thing that is really different about a hand-tied and a round is that the hand-tied tends to be a bit looser looking (more casual/wildflower looking) instead of super tight.

• Options
    And then you have something like this that has no idea what type of bouquet it wants to be...

I just snorted coffee up my nose.

• Options
    Thanks for the bouquet education! I had no idea there were so many options. Just looking at the chart, I think I like the "hand-tied" best, though I can see "round"/"posey" ones working well for a more formal wedding. 

The Princess Diana cascade does look very over the top, so I can see how that gives a dated/80s vibe. 
  • Options
    edited November 2014

I just wanted to say MAGGIE  I LOVE YOUR PUPPY!!! 
  • Options
    @Maggie0829 ... thank you for the bouquet education! I will just say I'm glad I didn't know about it before my wedding though haha because then it would have been another thing to worry about. 

What kind of bouquet was mine? Round or nosegay or one of the other ones that looks like that ...
  • Options
    @thelastdreamer - I am going to go with round because of how tight the flowers are but if I squint it could also be a nosegay or even a posey if I look at it upside down :)  But whatever style of circle it is, it is very pretty!

• Options
    badbnagdwaybadbnagdway member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited November 2014
    Edit:  I keep trying to post the pictures from this link but it's not working. Enjoy.

• Options
    :( I actually like cascade bouquets, just not the ones linked to from above. The pictures my florist showed me were MUCH smaller and didn't cascade as much.

The second one on this site is nice and kinda in line with what I mean. http://bridalmusings.com/2014/03/20-stunning-cascading-bouquets/

Not a fan of the feathers people keep putting in them though. They look like snakes to me!
  • Options
    erinemm said:
    :( I actually like cascade bouquets, just not the ones linked to from above. The pictures my florist showed me were MUCH smaller and didn't cascade as much.

The second one on this site is nice and kinda in line with what I mean. http://bridalmusings.com/2014/03/20-stunning-cascading-bouquets/

Not a fan of the feathers people keep putting in them though. They look like snakes to me!
    I googled to find some nice cascade bouquets (because I know I have seen some) and ended up with stuff like that link I posted. I think they can be nice when they are romantic and more petite, just a very subtle cascade effect. Some of the ones on the link you posted are pretty and not out of control. 
  • Options
    I was just married and I went with the "dated 80's cascading bouquet" - other than the florist didn't get the colors I wanted 100%, I liked it.  This is the best pic I have of it at the moment.

My suggestion would be go to Pinterest and check out some bouquets and see what you like best.

Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards