Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

dress choice: photographs betters vs looks better in person

While dress shopping this weekend, I fell in love with 2 dresses. I thought I made up my mind, but my mom has been HEAVILY pressuring me to change it. The issue? The 2nd choice dress appears to photograph better than my top choice dress. Keep in mind we were using my phone's camera (Galaxy S5), and the salon we took the photos of dress #1 in was very poorly lit and had almost no space, so it's not professional photography we're talking about. 

So my question is: is how the dress photographed an issue that factored heavily into your decision making process on dresses? My mom was told "it doesn't matter if it looks better in person, its what it looks like in photographs" by her sister, and now she's pressuring me to think the same way.

The dress that's my top choice is a Jasmine Couture T162014. It'll be in champagne/gold, with ivory lace overlay. The illusion neckline will be removed, so it'll be a sweetheart neckline, although the lace appliques will still pop above the neckline a little (the seamstress walked me through how they'd do it). It's stunning--the exact shape, color, and waistline I was looking for. It has a very elegant look. In pictures though, the elements that make it stunning in person (e.g. detailed beading and crystals on the lace) do not appear so well.

My second choice was Justin Alexander 8766. Champagne dress with ivory chantilly lace overlay. The only thing I do not love about the dress is where the waist sits--the belt is high up. The dress gives me more of a "sweet and ethereal" look, which is not really the feeling I'm going for. But because of the VERY shiny belt and soft lace, it photographs great. 

Here are the 2 dresses on me (hopefully the link works--I used dropbox). Looks like dropbox reverses the photos, so the left one is dress #2, the right one is dress #1. And apologies for my face and posture in them. For #1--it's my "I want to cry but am holding it in face", and in dress #2 I was kinda angry since it was maybe the 30th photo my mom took of me in the dress and I really had to use the restroom. 

Thoughts? Does my mom have a point, or should I go with the one that I found to be more stunning in person? 

Re: dress choice: photographs betters vs looks better in person

• Options
    Wear the dress that YOU feel the best in

• Options
    You look absolutely stunning in the Jasmine Couture dress you love. 

I think it matters immensely that the photos were taken in poor lighting on a phone camera, too. I wouldn't doubt that in better lighting in pictures taken by a photographer with a good camera, those details you love will be more apparent. 
  • Options
    I never considered once how my dress would photograph when I picked it.  I picked it because I loved it.  If you have a professional and experienced photographer then they should be able to photograph your dress just fine and be able to document the detail perfectly.

As for your dress choices, I personally like the second dress better.  I like how soft the bottom is.  I think the first dress is beautiful but if you are going to get rid of the top section (which also means the back detail is gone) then it looks like any other strapless lace dress.  The top is what makes dress one unique and gives it that special something, IMO.

But in the end you should pick the dress that YOU love and feel great in, no matter what I or anyone else on here or in your life has to say.

• Options
    I never really thought about how mine would look in pictures, personally. It sounds like you like dress 1 far better, so that's you should go with. Both are beautiful and look great on you, but both will also look wonderful in pictures as long as your photographer knows what they're doing. If it's what you feel the best in and what fits the feel you were envisioning, that is the dress you should get.
  • Options
    First the dress shapes are very similar and flattering on you. I don't think either one could possibly be a wrong choice. I do understand the desire to make sure the dress photographs well. However, I think there's a huge difference between a cell phone pic in a potentially poorly lit store than a professional photographer who has a flash and serious skills with appropriate camera settings (aperture, iso, shutter speed). Since both dresses look good on you, I wouldn't worry about if one photographs slightly better on a cell phone camera. (If one looked horrible in pictures maybe then it'd be something to re-think, but that's not the case here.) I also think the 2nd dress appears to be just a little larger on you so I think alterations to make the dress fit you perfectly will make a difference as well. I'd vote to purchase the dress that you liked most in person. Maybe go back and try them both on again (perhaps without mom or sis?) just to reaffirm your instincts. 
  • Options
    That didn't remotely cross my mind.

How your photos turn out is an issue for your photographer to handle, not your dress. Your dress should make you look and feel beautiful when you look at yourself in the mirror. Period.

• Options
    Honestly, it's something I thought about.  I definitely had a dress that I liked better and felt gorgeous in, but every picture of me in it, and every picture of the dress online looked very blah - which is not how I wanted to feel.  The dress I purchased was gorgeous in photos and was my second choice.  In my case I think it was mostly the color of the first dress that I didn't love (only came in a darker beige color that really washed me out).  However, I think the dresses YOU have are so similar that you should pick the one you feel the best in. 
  • Options
    I went dress shopping alone and had my MOH helping me pick out my dress from pictures that were taken.  I went to a dress shop and was in between 2 dresses, when I got to show her, I couldn't find the 2nd dress because that's how bad it photographed.  I went with the one that photographed better - in all honesty I liked the one I went with better, it's just it was double the price of the one that didn't look good in pictures.

Anniversary
  • Options
    I did actually consider how my dress would photograph, but mostly from the perspective of how the dress fit my body. My main question in that vein was, will I look significantly heavier in photos than in real life because of the way the dress is shaped? Some dresses I tried on looked pretty in the mirror, but then when I looked at a phone picture, I looked super dumpy and 20 pounds heavier than I am. The dress I picked flatters in person and in photos. 

When it comes down to the details, like the ones you described, I agree with the consensus that cell phone photos are just not going to do details justice, but a professional photographer will. Pick the one that makes you feel best, as long as it does look flattering too. I can't see your photos for some reason, but go with the one you like best, it sounds lovely. 
  • Options
    I didn't take into consideration how it would photograph, at all.  I put it on and I loved it.   My photographer was amazing and could probably make a burlap sack look good.  if I were you, i'd pick the one you love in person. 
  • Options
    1.  I think the photograph of the first dress (the one on the right) actually looks great.  I'm really not understanding the comments about how it doesn't photograph as well.  I think it does.

2.  I think the shininess of the second one (the one on the left) is actually distracting and the higher waist on it actually makes you look like you have no torso.

Seriously, the difference in photographic quality would be miniscule (and I actually prefer how the first one photographs anyway) and it's more a reflection of how good your photographer is, not the dress.  Plus, the key to a dress looking beautiful is that the person wearing it loves it and is comfortable in it - not whether the belt is shinier on one over the other.  So pick the dress you love and are comfortable in...period.
  • Options
    I actually like the picture on the right better (your first choice dress).  I don't think one photographs better than the other.  I thought I looked funny in all the pics of my dress that my friend took of me in the sample (it was too big and too long) but when I put on the actual dress that I had ordered, and it was fitted, it looked perfect.  All of your pictures will look better if you look happy and confident, so you're better off wearing something you love.

Also, if you like the look of the belt you can always add one to the other dress.
  • Options
    Wear the dress that YOU feel the best in

THIS!!!!

I wore a gown I loved and never once thought about how difficult taffetta may be to photograph during the brighest summer day!!  But my photog got great pictures and only once or twice did the bright white dress catch too much light and lose detail.

• Options
    Thanks everyone. I went back to the stores this past weekend, and tried both dresses back on. My top choice dress took my breath away when I put it on. It really looks AMAZING in person, and will fit great. The champagne/blush color, the way the waist hits me, the beading throughout the lace and the long train just made me so happy. My second choice one was pretty...but didn't make me feel as beautiful. 

So yea, I placed the order and I'm very happy and very confident in my choice :)
  • Options
    Get the dress you love! Using a smartphone to capture how the dress looks doesn't even come close to what the dress will look like from a professional camera! My friend showed me her dress on her phone and I though it was so simple and didn't think I would like it.  Once I saw it in person (and in her wedding photos) you could see all of the detail and her dress was stunning, nothing like the pictures from the camera on her iphone.  
  • Options
    Stunning Choice Congratulations!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards