Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

Wording for save the dates/weekend help!

I'm doing my own save the dates in photoshop but I'm having trouble with the wording. Our wedding is going to be at this awesome Lodge where each guest/family gets their own cabin so it's going to be more of a weekend getaway vibe. How would you word a STD for a wedding where we are inviting everyone for Friday (which would be considered the rehearsal dinner) and Saturday for the wedding itself? I don't want people to feel pressured to come for both nights, but obviously want Saturday to be the main focus. Any ideas? I was thinking something along the lines of save the date, stay the weekend?? Any advice/ideas would be greatly appreciated! 

Re: Wording for save the dates/weekend help!

• Options
    Are you paying for everyone's cabins?  That makes a huge difference!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    We are not paying for everyone's cabins. Even though it's only an hour away we're basically calling it a destination wedding so in leu of presents the guest will pay for their cabins which will be around $150 per person per night. 
  • Options
    jabfsu said:
    We are not paying for everyone's cabins. Even though it's only an hour away we're basically calling it a destination wedding so in leu of presents the guest will pay for their cabins which will be around $150 per person per night. 
    I would def just do a regular std then- treat the cabins like a hotel block- here is an option but some will chose their own hotel or to not stay, etc. Put info about if people want to come for friday- sunday, there are cabins available but don't put it in the invite or std since lots of people will chose different accomodations.

• Options
    Do the STD for the Saturday of the wedding.

Include an enclosure card or reference the website with information about booking the cabins. When you do that, you can also note that guests will be invited to attend the rehearsal dinner on Friday night.  

FYI, don't be terribly disappointed if people don't book cabins.  At $150/pp per night, booking a cabin for the weekend would be $600 for a couple.  Most people aren't going to do that for somewhere an hour away. Even if you [rudely] suggest that they do it instead of a gift, it's still pretty outrageous. Most people don't spend anywhere near that for a wedding gift.
  • Options
    You cannot suggest that the guests pay for their cabins instead of giving you a wedding present.  Even to talk about this is rude.  You can tell your guests that the cabins are available for the weekend, but I would be surprised if people went for it.  People are taking time out of their busy schedule to attend your wedding on Saturday.  To ask them to spend money and give up an entire weekend is asking too much IMHO.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    I would never pay $150 per a person per a night to go somewhere an hour away that I did not choose. I have also never spent $600 on a wedding gift either.  Never mind the fact that I wouldn't want to give up a whole weekend for someones wedding. I guess I do not know how people justify this in their head.  If I wouldn't do something for someone else's wedding I would never ask my guest to do it for mine.  
  • Options
    I would never pay $150 per a person per a night to go somewhere an hour away that I did not choose. I have also never spent $600 on a wedding gift either.  Never mind the fact that I wouldn't want to give up a whole weekend for someones wedding. I guess I do not know how people justify this in their head.  If I wouldn't do something for someone else's wedding I would never ask my guest to do it for mine.  
    All of this.

• Options
    I would not choose to stay the entire weekend in the cabins.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    It's up to your guests, not you, what they give you as a gift.  Any "in lieu of gifts" messages on your part are inappropriate. 

It may not be possible or practical for your guests to stay for the whole weekend, whether for a wedding or not, so I'd leave this in your guests' hands.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards