Wedding Etiquette Forum

Wedding Shower Request - Why you don't ask people to pay for anything.

aleciajayealeciajaye member
5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
edited November 2014 in Wedding Etiquette Forum
So.... My FI's brother is getting married in January. His neighbor is hosting the co-ed shower. I just got an email requesting $40 PER PERSON to cover the cost. Yeah, you read that right. I was INCENSED to say the least. My FI contacted the host and he said it was really expensive to get beer/keg and food for 97 people. 97!!! That's more than I'm having at my own wedding!!! I'm trying to be a good FSIL, but I cannot I fork up $80 for myself and FI to feed other people (I know I'm not gonna eat THAT many sandwiches and chips), especially when I have my own wedding to pay for, and recently took a pay cut to be with FI. I'm at the point of making up an excuse not to make the 4hr round trip (oh, and gas!). Oh, and there was a follow up email asking why there hadn't been any responses....
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Wedding Shower Request - Why you don't ask people to pay for anything.

• aleciajayealeciajaye member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited November 2014
    Sorry y'all.. I reposted because my ipad doesn't like this website and crashed mid-rant. I posted a second completed one not realizing this one went live.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • $80 PER COUPLE!?
    They'd be getting a $20 bill in a card as a shower and wedding gift from me.

----

fka dallasbetch 

Lilypie Maternity tickers

• scribe95 said:
    When this stuff happens I'm surprised people never confront the person. I totally would. 

In this case it is going to reflect badly some on his brother even though his brother has nothing to do with it. I would call the guy up and say, look as the host of the event you can't charge people. You have to find ways to cover the costs, including maybe reducing the guest list. Also as a brother I would probably chip in money to help cover some costs. 

As it's FI's brother, I'm going to have him ask if FBIL is aware of this and the total breach of etiquette, especially since FSIL is supposedly all about it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • If I want to spend $80 on a meal for H and I, then I would be going to one of our favorite restaurants where I know for a fact that I will enjoy the meal and the company and my time.
    Ditto this. That's insane. 
  • (I deleted the other one)
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Thank you. :) And as I was typing my response my iPad crashed again. Grrr.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • But... but... if you love them, you'd totally go!

Or not. Yea, I would skip that shitshow in a heartbeat. I have better things to do with my time and money.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• I'm pretty sure my FI's Friday flight home from Ohio is going to be delayed to Sunday...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Some people don't know what 'hosting' means. Do you think the bride and groom know she is billing people for a party she offered to host?  I'm so embarrassed for this couple.

• @mariepoppy, I'm honestly not sure. After perusing these boards the last couple of days and learning what's appropriate and what's not, I'm going to have my FI ask FBIL if he knows, especially since FSIL is trying to make inroads into a higher echelon of society.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Wow, looks like someone needs to look up what hosting means in the dictionary...

And looks like someone else may be catching that bug going around...

Formerly martha1818

• So.... My FI's brother is getting married in January. His neighbor is hosting the co-ed shower. I just got an email requesting $40 PER PERSON to cover the cost. Yeah, you read that right. I was INCENSED to say the least. My FI contacted the host and he said it was really expensive to get beer/keg and food for 97 people. 97!!! That's more than I'm having at my own wedding!!! I'm trying to be a good FSIL, but I cannot I fork up $80 for myself and FI to feed other people (I know I'm not gonna eat THAT many sandwiches and chips), especially when I have my own wedding to pay for, and recently took a pay cut to be with FI. I'm at the point of making up an excuse not to make the 4hr round trip (oh, and gas!). Oh, and there was a follow up email asking why there hadn't been any responses....
    So, you're saying that the neighbor is having the shower at his house, but YOU are co-hosting the shower.  Did EVERY guest get this email, or just family?
  • adk19 said:
    So.... My FI's brother is getting married in January. His neighbor is hosting the co-ed shower. I just got an email requesting $40 PER PERSON to cover the cost. Yeah, you read that right. I was INCENSED to say the least. My FI contacted the host and he said it was really expensive to get beer/keg and food for 97 people. 97!!! That's more than I'm having at my own wedding!!! I'm trying to be a good FSIL, but I cannot I fork up $80 for myself and FI to feed other people (I know I'm not gonna eat THAT many sandwiches and chips), especially when I have my own wedding to pay for, and recently took a pay cut to be with FI. I'm at the point of making up an excuse not to make the 4hr round trip (oh, and gas!). Oh, and there was a follow up email asking why there hadn't been any responses....
    So, you're saying that the neighbor is having the shower at his house, but YOU are co-hosting the shower.  Did EVERY guest get this email, or just family?

I am not co-hosting. Talked to FI today and he seems to think wedding party and family got the email requesting money and FBIL doesn't know. We also think they (the neighbors) may have volunteered then FSIL dropped the invite list bomb.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • adk19 said:

I am not co-hosting. Talked to FI today and he seems to think wedding party and family got the email requesting money and FBIL doesn't know. We also think they (the neighbors) may have volunteered then FSIL dropped the invite list bomb.
    So instead of telling crazy FSIL that her 97 person guest list is too much for them to handle (could you imagine that many people in your house at once?!) they pushed the costs off to the wedding party and family.  Awesome!

• Seems so. We're of the consensus she's trying to work her way up the social ladder, so this whole event is just that, an EVENT (with local celebrities and all *eyeroll*). About the wedding, not the marriage.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • adk19 said:

You are if you're funding part of this party by submitting to the demands to contribute.
  • adk19 said:

You are if you're funding part of this party by submitting to the demands to contribute.

Not by choice. And if it's not straightened out after this weekend, not at all, because I'll bow out.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • adk19 said:

I'm pretty sure the rules of hosting a wedding apply to hosting a shower -- in that the host isn't necessarily the person contributing financially. The two don't really have anything to do with the other.
  • What a shame that you and fi have that unbreakable appointment that day. 

PS: please come back with an update after this circus of a shower. My money is on FSIL crying in the WC and refusing to come out. 
  • Jeez, $80? So are they serving sushi or a nice rack of ribs or something fancy. Cause . . . ummm, I don't drink much and I know sandwiches and chips don't cost $80 unless there is some gold filament on those sandwiches.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Seems so. We're of the consensus she's trying to work her way up the social ladder, so this whole event is just that, an EVENT (with local celebrities and all *eyeroll*). About the wedding, not the marriage.

How local are we talking, with respect to the celebrities?  Is it a small town where the celebrity is one of the big time lawyers who's on the TV (that was one of the major "celebs" at my college town) -- because if she really cared about that stuff, that would be AWESOME
  • adk19 said:

Not by choice. And if it's not straightened out after this weekend, not at all, because I'll bow out.
    @aleciajaye we are going to need an update on Monday.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Are you sure they aren't trying to do one of those jack and jill fundraiser atrocities here?  
  • Hearing that the FSIL dropped a 97 person guest list I can understand the neighbor wanting help hosting it... however I think they went about it in an incredibly rude way.  If I was the neighbor I would say to the couple that I am uncomfortable and unable hosting a party that size.  I understand if they choose a different host and I would be happy to assist with x. 

As for you.. I might offer to make the desert but would be extremely bitter about handing over $80.

Sounds like a terrible FSIL.
  • @aleciajaye, I am still waiting for the update. Did you talk to the B&G?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Sorry, y'all. FBIL was on a business trip last week and FI is gone this week. Ugh. But we have been exempted from paying. FBIL was unaware of the request and FI heard FSIL say that's how it's "normally done." (News to me!) FI could tell his bro didn't want to discuss it in front of her so it was a very sussinct convo. Apparently he wasn't too happy about it. I'll update you on this Sunday's fiasco when we get back in town.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards