Snarky Brides

"MY" not "I's" ... TK snark

[Sigh] The "I's" thing going around the forums is making me loony. Please! Choose "I" or "me." For possessives use "my" or "mine" or even "our."   Or are we going for the contraction "I is..." ??

I don't even usually care about grammar, but I just don't understand this one at all. 

Snarky rant over. 

Then happy I, that love and am beloved 
Where I may not remove nor be removed.

--William Shakespeare (Sonnet 25)

Re: "MY" not "I's" ... TK snark

• Blech. Haven't seen it. Sounds teeth grinding worthy.
  • I got into a huge fight with a (RL) friend about this a few years ago. I was ranting about grammar on Facebook and mentioned that "I's" is not a word in any context and he called me a racist. We are no longer friends.

• KatieinBklnKatieinBkln member
    First Answer First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its
    edited November 2014
    I got into a huge fight with a (RL) friend about this a few years ago. I was ranting about grammar on Facebook and mentioned that "I's" is not a word in any context and he called me a racist. We are no longer friends.

Oof. I mean, I am well aware that a lot of the ways people talk about "proper" speech are rooted in some racist shit. But I maintain that "I's" is not one of them. Mainly because my 99% white hometown was RIFE with idiots who would say/write it.
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • GIRL. You're singing the song of my people. (Grammar people, that is).

I try to let it roll off my shoulders, especially since I consider TK to be one of the few places on all the Internet that isn't completely riddled with misspellings, lazy abbreviations, emoticons, and a blatant disregard for the entire language.

But yes. "I's" is the devil's work. It's all the fault of teachers who pushed the "It's Susie and I, not me and Susie!" when we were children. The subtleties of subject vs. object were not quite so heavily emphasized, unfortunately.

My personal issue is with the homophones. You learn your "your/you'res" and your "there/their/they'res" ONCE and you will know them forever. It is maybe a little confusing when you're a child, but as an adult there is no excuse not to know this stuff. I don't judge people who don't have a "knack" for high-level language skills, and I am not one to correct spoken English because I think that's a dick move, but the homophones are about laziness, not about smarts.
    Bahahaha, to the bolded.  

I totally agree with your comment that the forums here are generally well written.  It honestly (and pleasantly) surprises me.  Every time I see something wRiTen lyKe thissssss a piece of me dies inside.  

• Huh. You inspired me to check some Ebonics cases. It is used, but the common usage there seems to be the contraction "I is" and I don't see it used as a possessive.

I didn't think it was racist because I vaguely looked it up before I snarked and the first known recorded use was attributed  to a film producer, Harvey Weinstein, in 2004, and appeared in commentary about his relationship with Disney. 

It's true, these forums are very comprehensible. There seem to be a lot of writers here, too. 

I'm just glad this thread wasn't full of haters. You never know what snark might unleash.  ;)

• KatieinBklnKatieinBkln member
    First Answer First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its
    edited November 2014
    Huh. You inspired me to check some Ebonics cases. It is used, but the common usage there seems to be the contraction "I is" and I don't see it used as a possessive.

I didn't think it was racist because I vaguely looked it up before I snarked and the first known recorded use was attributed  to a film producer, Harvey Weinstein, in 2004, and appeared in commentary about his relationship with Disney. 

It's true, these forums are very comprehensible. There seem to be a lot of writers here, too. 

I'm just glad this thread wasn't full of haters. You never know what snark might unleash.  ;)
    That is fascinating! And definitely not the context in which I am annoyed by it. Honestly, I love slang and the various intricacies of spoken English. But to me, there is a difference between the way humans speak in casual situations and the pure laziness of "Fi and I's." Frankly, I feel like we're far more likely to encounter it when the person is trying, mistakenly, to speak/write properly, which is a colossal failure. I'm not mad at ain't, prepositions at the ends of sentences, the occasional subject-verb disagreement, etc. when people are just shooting the shit. But for some reason, a person attempting to be snooty and failing miserably pisses me off and makes me laugh simultaneously (see also: "irregardless." NO. You get an F in Words).
  • Huh. You inspired me to check some Ebonics cases. It is used, but the common usage there seems to be the contraction "I is" and I don't see it used as a possessive.

That is fascinating! And definitely not the context in which I am annoyed by it. Honestly, I love slang and the various intricacies of spoken English. But to me, there is a difference between the way humans speak in casual situations and the pure laziness of "Fi and I's." Frankly, I feel like we're far more likely to encounter it when the person is trying, mistakenly, to speak/write properly, which is a colossal failure. I'm not mad at ain't, prepositions at the ends of sentences, the occasional subject-verb disagreement, etc. when people are just shooting the shit. But for some reason, a person attempting to be snooty and failing miserably pisses me off and makes me laugh simultaneously (see also: "irregardless." NO. You get an F in Words).
    Are you referring to a certain recent poster?  

• levioosa said:
    Huh. You inspired me to check some Ebonics cases. It is used, but the common usage there seems to be the contraction "I is" and I don't see it used as a possessive.

I'm not, actually! I just have a general annoyance for that kind of thing because I am an asshole, but in this case I wasn't throwing any specific shade.
  • levioosalevioosa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2014
    levioosa said:

I'm not, actually! I just have a general annoyance for that kind of thing because I am an asshole, but in this case I wasn't throwing any specific shade.

Holy crap, I got myself out of the box!  

Okay, maybe I'm a bad person then, because I totally was.  haha

• levioosa said:

Don't slander yourself like that! If that makes you a bad person than I'm doomed to hell. 
  • levioosa said:

Don't slander yourself like that! If that makes you a bad person than I'm doomed to hell. 
    That's okay, we can take shots of this together while we're there:

• When I was in school, I was often horrified at the inability of my peers to write coherent, grammatically correct papers (I was employed by the teacher of a class I wasn't in to assist in grading papers and assignments), and how it seemed to only get worse as they got closer to graduation. These same peers were shocked that I, the ESL kid, had a better grasp of written English than their hoity-toity, native-speaking selves.

Now text-speak has just ruined all of them. My heart breaks a little bit inside every time I see them post on Facebook.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• When I was in school, I was often horrified at the inability of my peers to write coherent, grammatically correct papers (I was employed by the teacher of a class I wasn't in to assist in grading papers and assignments), and how it seemed to only get worse as they got closer to graduation. These same peers were shocked that I, the ESL kid, had a better grasp of written English than their hoity-toity, native-speaking selves.

Now text-speak has just ruined all of them. My heart breaks a little bit inside every time I see them post on Facebook.
    I work as a teaching assistant for a 4th year university class. It's an advanced class with students that are generally graduating with honours. When I read the final essays I just want to bang my head against the wall. The number of students that can't write a grammatically correct sentence, have no idea how to structure an essay, or can't be bothered to reference their sources is astounding. 

Anniversary

I work as a teaching assistant for a 4th year university class. It's an advanced class with students that are generally graduating with honours. When I read the final essays I just want to bang my head against the wall. The number of students that can't write a grammatically correct sentence, have no idea how to structure an essay, or can't be bothered to reference their sources is astounding
    Plagiarisim is my boogie man; I will cite a paper to death just to avoid any potential issues. 

Please tell me you've seen this? I think you'd appreciate the humor. 

http://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/a-generic-college-paper

I work as a teaching assistant for a 4th year university class. It's an advanced class with students that are generally graduating with honours. When I read the final essays I just want to bang my head against the wall. The number of students that can't write a grammatically correct sentence, have no idea how to structure an essay, or can't be bothered to reference their sources is astounding
    Plagiarisim is my boogie man; I will cite a paper to death just to avoid any potential issues. 

Loved that Generic Paper!

I'm working in Higher Ed too. I just got the worst resume ever as part of an application. It was about 5 lines on power point with pictures of her and her dog and child.   You can't even Google how to write an effective resume?

• YES YES and for the love of Grammar:

Your OR you're
    There OR Their or They're
    Altar OR Alter
    Effect OR Affect

There are so many others but can't think of them now but those are the ones I see the most and they're so basic too...

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Ditto! Plagiarism is a fail with transcript notation of academic dishonesty at my university. I didn't want to do that to a student so I just gave him a zero on the essay, which meant he'd fail the class but with no transcript notations. He had the nerve to email the prof saying I had graded him unfairly, and I was like dude I just did you a huge favour.

Love the link!

Anniversary
  • raissyraisraissyrais member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited November 2014
    levioosa said:
    YES YES and for the love of Grammar:

Your OR you're
    Altar OR Alter
    Effect OR Affect

There are so many others but can't think of them now but those are the ones I see the most and they're so basic too...

Your really going to regret judging SS's who are obviously the most important thing to they're familys.  There familys will totally not be effected by who walks who down the isle or who gets to stand at the alter.  Their will be a cash bar but its not rude.  

It was seriously hard for me to write that.  I really had to push myself to bad grammar.  haha
    OhEmGee you did such a good jobe! 

LOL ahahaha right isle and aisle that's another one. Ugh...

ETA: Oh oh and carrots and carats!!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • levioosa said:
    YES YES and for the love of Grammar:

Your OR you're
    Altar OR Alter
    Effect OR Affect

Your really going to regret judging SS's who are obviously the most important thing to they're familys.  There familys will totally not be effected by who walks who down the isle or who gets to stand at the alter.  Their will be a cash bar but its not rude.  

It was seriously hard for me to write that.  I really had to push myself to bad grammar.  haha
    OhEmGee you did such a good jobe! 

LOL ahahaha right isle and aisle that's another one. Ugh...

ETA: Oh oh and carrots and carats!!!!
    How did I miss the opportunity to use the word "ragrat?"

No?  Like not even a single letter?

• Honestly, the only ones that really bother me are "your" vs "you're" and "they're/their/there". Only because it makes reading the sentence really confusing. I understand that grammar is not everyones strength and I find it unnecessary to pick at *every* single grammatical error.

The only other thing that bothers me is aisle vs isle. I see SO many users on here write about walking down the "isle" and it's a really petty thing that bothers me.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• hellohkb said:
    Honestly, the only ones that really bother me are "your" vs "you're" and "they're/their/there". Only because it makes reading the sentence really confusing. I understand that grammar is not everyones strength and I find it unnecessary to pick at *every* single grammatical error.

The only other thing that bothers me is aisle vs isle. I see SO many users on here write about walking down the "isle" and it's a really petty thing that bothers me.
    The biggest thing that gets me here is "guest" versus "guests." Yes, I realize it can be easy to stumble over pronouncing the sts sound, but you are TYPING. Do you not understand that it is a plural word?! And it's always in reference to super tacky things, like "how do I tell my guest not to wear white?" Just the one guest? Probably nothing to worry about if there's just one guest.

• levioosa said:

@levioosa, alter and isle are the ones that bug me on this forum!  The thing in the church is an altar, alter is what you do to your dress if it doesn't fit.  You walk down the aisle to meet your groom, and you might take your honeymoon on a tropic isle. 

I'm no grammar angel.  I make mistakes, and I am a terrible typist, so I'm sure I've posted some doozies here, but these two really get to me.  And double negatives.  Can't stand 'em.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • levioosa said:

@levioosa, alter and isle are the ones that bug me on this forum!  The thing in the church is an altar, alter is what you do to your dress if it doesn't fit.  You walk down the aisle to meet your groom, and you might take your honeymoon on a tropic isle. 

I'm no grammar angel.  I make mistakes, and I am a terrible typist, so I'm sure I've posted some doozies here, but these two really get to me.  And double negatives.  Can't stand 'em.
    You mean grammar angle? ;-) 

• I'm no grammar angel.  I make mistakes, and I am a terrible typist, so I'm sure I've posted some doozies here, but these two really get to me.  And double negatives.  Can't stand 'em.
    You mean grammar angle? ;-) 

Oh of course, that's what I meant.  Please excuse me!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards