Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Struggling with wedding dress straps

I recently picked up my wedding dress from the bridal salon and decided that adding straps was the way to go. However the strap samples they showed me were all around 1000$ which i think is way to expensive for 2 pieces of fabric. Does anyone have suggestions for other places to go to buy wedding dress straps that are more reasonable priced but still look nice?

Thanks for the help!
Ellie

Re: Struggling with wedding dress straps

• Options
    I recently picked up my wedding dress from the bridal salon and decided that adding straps was the way to go. However the strap samples they showed me were all around 1000$ which i think is way to expensive for 2 pieces of fabric. Does anyone have suggestions for other places to go to buy wedding dress straps that are more reasonable priced but still look nice?

Thanks for the help!
    Ellie
    WHAT?! That seems WAY too high. Do you have a high fashion designer dress? What's the justification?

This is an international board. If you want recommendations for local seamstresses, we can move this to a local board. Do you want that? Also, try TK's vendor list and read the reviews.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    They probably were designer straps but they wouldn't tell me which one, i'm sure to prevent me from ordering them somewhere else for cheaper. I have an allure dress, so its not a super high fashion dress but still looks glamorous. I would love recommendations for local seamstresses!!! 
  • Options
    ?!?!?! 

I tried on 20-30 dresses, and got quotes for adding straps to most of them. It usually cost $80-$150 for the straps, and at most $250. The dresses were all in the $1500-$2000 price range though, so if your dress is priced significantly higher than that, that could explain the cost difference. 

I'd recommend checking with some other stores that carry your designer for their options. 
  • Options
    What did these straps look like?  My friend was looking at a dress and asked about adding some blinged out straps.  They would have cost her about $1000 as well.

You don't have to go with the matching designer straps.  You could easily take your dress (or a picture of it) to a seamstress you trust and ask their opinion on what they could do and it wouldn't cost nearly as much.

• Options
    NYCMercedesNYCMercedes member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited November 2014
    Under the Coverage Accessories, Davids Bridal has two short sleeve and a cap sleeve strap.
  • Options
    Etsy has some cute strap options
  • Options
    atlastmrsgatlastmrsg member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited November 2014
    I bought ribbon that had tiny pearls down the edge to add a halter strap to a cotillion ballgown.  Since I had to curtsey in the gown, I wanted to be sure it stayed exactly where it was supposed to.  Total cost--about $4 for the ribbon.  The tailor sewed it in for free since it was four hook and eyes.

I'd look for trim that you like, or even a sash that you can cut down.
  • Options
    When I was trying on dresses I was thinking of adding straps or cap sleeves to one the girl actually mentioned that the seamstress may be able to take fabric from where they would have to hem the dress to make them.  Not sure if it would be an option for you or not.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards