Wedding Etiquette Forum

Cash Bar

Re: Cash Bar

• Jack Sparrow doesn't like consumption bars for a very important reason.
    I love the pic!

Consumption bars just mean the host is billed based on how much the guests actually drink, though; the bar is "open" as far as the guests are concerned.  A standard "open bar" charges the hosts per head.  The guests never know the difference.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Jack Sparrow doesn't like consumption bars for a very important reason.
    I love the pic!

Consumption bars just mean the host is billed based on how much the guests actually drink, though; the bar is "open" as far as the guests are concerned.  A standard "open bar" charges the hosts per head.  The guests never know the difference.
    Aha! Thanks for the clarification. For some reason I confused it with the capped bar....or whatever that one is called where only a certain amount is paid for (I'm too lazy to go back and try to find it amongst all of these posts, ha.)
                                     Wedding Countdown Ticker

• banana468 said:

Imagine finding out that you're drinking the last of the red wine and no one after you gets any. Yeah. That's awkward.

I don't understand why we're even debating poor planning. When you run out of refreshments, it's a sign that the party was poorly planned and people take that as a sign to leave.

Because she is a consistent shit-stirrer.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• This is how this thread makes me feel: 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I have nothing to add except I did have double cake at my wedding.  We invited 120, only 78 attended.  I forgot to call the baker to tell them I needed less cake.

• This is how this thread makes me feel: 

Right there with ya.

--

I'm the fuck
    out.

• I have nothing to add except I did have double cake at my wedding.  We invited 120, only 78 attended.  I forgot to call the baker to tell them I needed less cake.

I think more cake is always better than less cake.  Is it bad that if the cake is good at a wedding I go back for a second slice?  I always feel a little guilty because I don't want to take a slice away from someone, but if it's good I can't help myself.  FI is the same way.
  • I'm really really baffled on why someone would WANT to poorly plan their wedding.

We had a guest list of 120, 96 came. We paid $22 a person for a 4 hour open bar. 96 X $22 = $2,112. Holy shit...we were right at your budget for booze, and hosted everyone well. It's not impossible. So instead of just trying to change the definition of good etiquette - maybe you put some effort in to being an appropriate host. 
  • abbyj700 said:
    I'm really really baffled on why someone would WANT to poorly plan their wedding.

We had a guest list of 120, 96 came. We paid $22 a person for a 4 hour open bar. 96 X $22 = $2,112. Holy shit...we were right at your budget for booze, and hosted everyone well. It's not impossible. So instead of just trying to change the definition of good etiquette - maybe you put some effort in to being an appropriate host. 
    Because they would rather pick a pretty venue they can not properly afford than find a venue they can properly afford.

Sure the pictures can be nice, but the wow factor of a pretty venue is lost on most guest after a few minutes. At that point they are talking, socializing, eating and such not looking at the pretty room or view.

We found a venue where we could bring in our own alcohol.   Cost us about $3k for 147 people. Full top shelf.  We could easily have paid less, but having a top shelf bar was important to us.   Other venues the cost would have been much higher.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Food isn't served for the entire event. Once dessert has been served the hosts are under no obligation to continue to provide guests with any more food whatsoever, even if the event is going to last another two hours. The late night snack trend is a nice add on, not an etiquette requirement. You have given no reasons why failing to provide alcohol for all 5 hours (which is impossible at many venues anyway since they shut the bar down before the event ends) would be necessary as a matter of etiquette when providing food for 5 hours straight is not. You may consider it poor planning and I would expect someone to budget for each guest to have more than one drink just as you would expect each guest to have more than one hors d'oeuvre, but as long as no one has to open their wallet and some nonalcoholic beverage is available, I can see no violation of etiquette. You want to side-eye it? That's your right, but it doesn't make someone a bad host to limit something unnecessary to the guest's comfort like alcohol. 
    This isn't true. There was food served the entire duration of our wedding. Also, if we host an event at our house you will be able to eat food the entire time you are there and probably take some home with you. If we ran out of wine while you were at our house then hell must have frozen over. 

We are good hosts so nobody will ever leave a party that we host hungry or thirsty. Actually, nobody would ever leave our house on a random weeknight hungry or thirsty. If you are going to host people then you make sure you host them well. That means having more than you need so you don't run out. 
  • Having a bar stop serving alcohol at a certain price point will not stop people from getting drunk, because the drunkards will just line the drinks up if they know about the limit or get pissy when they hit it if they don't know about it. 

Have a limited bar and make it clear to the bartenders you want people cut off if they start getting sloshed. Unless you have a huge guest list, this should keep you within the $2k mark. It did for us and we had about 70 people, most of whom aren't shy about drinking. 
  • It's rude because you are creating an uncomfortable and embarrassing situation for your guests when they go to get their drink, and are told "no." 
    What? I can't even figure how even in the most unlikely scenario how this would be embarrassing for the guest, but feel free to give an outrageous hypothetical if you have one. If anyone would be subject to embarrassment it would be the host, not the guest, when the bartender explains that it's only non-alcoholic drinks for the rest of the night as the bar was limited. 
    I don't have an outrageous hypothetical, but I have a real life situation that happened at a wedding I attended:

DH went to the bar and ordered us both a mixed drink. When he came back to the table he told me to drink it slow because those two drinks cost $24! Someone at our table overheard him and when the groom came by to greet us the other person said something along the lines of "holy shit dude those two drinks cost $24! That's crazy!"

I was embarrassed that someone had overheard DH complaining about the cost of the drinks and I was even more embarrassed for the groom that someone said something to him about it. It was a very uncomfortable situation for everyone involved. 
  • It's rude because you are creating an uncomfortable and embarrassing situation for your guests when they go to get their drink, and are told "no." 
    What? I can't even figure how even in the most unlikely scenario how this would be embarrassing for the guest, but feel free to give an outrageous hypothetical if you have one. If anyone would be subject to embarrassment it would be the host, not the guest, when the bartender explains that it's only non-alcoholic drinks for the rest of the night as the bar was limited. 

Your guest goes up to the bar and orders a drink. They are then told they need to pay up. The guest, not anticipating this, now has to either go back to their chair and dig money out of their purse or wallet if they brought cash with them. Not everyone does, so if they don't have money the guest has to ask OTHER GUESTS if they can borrow money and hope someone has enough to cover the cost of the drink.

You really don't see how that puts your guest in a very awkward and embarrassing position?

• redoryx said:
    It's rude because you are creating an uncomfortable and embarrassing situation for your guests when they go to get their drink, and are told "no." 

Your guest goes up to the bar and orders a drink. They are then told they need to pay up. The guest, not anticipating this, now has to either go back to their chair and dig money out of their purse or wallet if they brought cash with them. Not everyone does, so if they don't have money the guest has to ask OTHER GUESTS if they can borrow money and hope someone has enough to cover the cost of the drink.

You really don't see how that puts your guest in a very awkward and embarrassing position?

My cousin's wedding had the $X amount open, then cash bar set up. Word spread like wildfire, side-eyes were thrown, and that whole side of the room by the bar was shoulder-to-shoulder full of people jostling for drinks before they went cash.

What's that tell you? Host your fucking drinks right. Guests paying for anything at your reception is RUDE, bad hosting.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• My relative had a wedding a few years ago. They had open bar for only one hour. When we went up to get more drinks during during, we were told we had to pay cash. None of us expected it, and no one was prepared. There was no ATM within a 5 minute drive. The groom's family actually left the wedding to drive 20 minutes to a gas station to buy beer (because that was cheaper than paying for beers at the now cash bar). People were pissed. 

Don't do this to your guests. 
  • redoryx said:
    It's rude because you are creating an uncomfortable and embarrassing situation for your guests when they go to get their drink, and are told "no." 

This has happened to me at weddings. It's really embarrassing. I give the hosts the benefit of the doubt that they're actually hosting their wedding. Then I have two drinks in hand and a bill I'm not prepared to pay plus a line of people behind me. Super awkward. 

The only cash I would bring to a wedding is in the card for the B&G. Sorry but that's the only way I can pay for the drink for which they're charging me. What goes around, I guess.
    *********************************************************************************

• So how long until this ends up in TK newletter or on the main webpage?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm the OP. I couldn't keep up with all of the posts but I really appreciated the recent posts where people listed the examples where things went wrong. Lets just say... I'm a self made woman who clawed her way out of a lower socioeconomic status. So I was ok with the answer no that's poor etiquette but I knew it wouldn't matter at all to my family. So the examples were helpful. I've been to every type of bar at a wedding (cash, partially hosted, ect) and I've never had any problems but I'm also not the type that would hoard drinks and I don't drink much but I can see some guests hoarding drinks which isn't good.
  • I'm the OP. I couldn't keep up with all of the posts but I really appreciated the recent posts where people listed the examples where things went wrong. Lets just say... I'm a self made woman who clawed her way out of a lower socioeconomic status. So I was ok with the answer no that's poor etiquette but I knew it wouldn't matter at all to my family. So the examples were helpful. I've been to every type of bar at a wedding (cash, partially hosted, ect) and I've never had any problems but I'm also not the type that would hoard drinks and I don't drink much but I can see some guests hoarding drinks which isn't good.
    You're still not getting it. Your reasoning for not having a cash bar should be because it's BAD HOSTING and RUDE to your guests, not because you're afraid that they'll take advantage and hoard drinks.

Formerly martha1818

• Another example: while a friend and I were chatting, her husband offered to get us drinks at the bar. When he returned, he remarked they were like, five bucks each. We three were speechless as we'd never been poorly hosted like that. I had no $$$ on me so I was embarrassed that her husband ended up having to buy me a drink.
  • edited November 2014
    I'm the OP. I couldn't keep up with all of the posts but I really appreciated the recent posts where people listed the examples where things went wrong. Lets just say... I'm a self made woman who clawed her way out of a lower socioeconomic status. So I was ok with the answer no that's poor etiquette but I knew it wouldn't matter at all to my family. So the examples were helpful. I've been to every type of bar at a wedding (cash, partially hosted, ect) and I've never had any problems but I'm also not the type that would hoard drinks and I don't drink much but I can see some guests hoarding drinks which isn't good.
    To the bolded... so are lots of us here. It's not a good reason for poorly hosting anyone or purposely ignoring etiquette. There's never a good reason for that.

Listen, I get wanting to plan a specific number for the bar. My wedding was 2 months ago, and H and I paid the whole thing ourselves (as did most of the people here). Ours was a consumption bar - the only thing offered by our venue. We didn't have the option of paying per head, and didn't even consider cutting anyone off once we'd reached a certain point. Our event director gave us an estimate that he had established after years of planning events there, and we pre-paid that amount per person for our 190 adults. He said "if it's more or less, we'll square up after the fact." We had a set amount to plan toward, would have some time to figure it out, super duper.

We got home from our honeymoon to a $2,800 bar bill in excess of what we'd already paid. Yuuuup, given his best estimates based on years of experience, quite a few teetotalers and pregnant women, our friends and family out-drank the estimate by almost three thousand dollars. (Note: this included charges for soft drinks and coffee as well.)

I say this not as a horror story, though. Our wedding was SO MUCH FUN, and would have SUCKED if the bar got cut off 3 GRAND EARLY. People stayed til the end, were laughing and singing along, the dance floor was packed. I was happy to pay the excess because I saw what a great time everyone was having. So you can plan all you want, but then there needs to be a better back-up plan than "shut it down" once the planned number is reached. Sometimes the best estimates are wrong.

I don't have an outrageous hypothetical, but I have a real life situation that happened at a wedding I attended:

DH went to the bar and ordered us both a mixed drink. When he came back to the table he told me to drink it slow because those two drinks cost $24! Someone at our table overheard him and when the groom came by to greet us the other person said something along the lines of "holy shit dude those two drinks cost $24! That's crazy!"

I was embarrassed that someone had overheard DH complaining about the cost of the drinks and I was even more embarrassed for the groom that someone said something to him about it. It was a very uncomfortable situation for everyone involved. 
    Good on them!

What did the Groom say?

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards