Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Ceremony Help

We are having a friend officiate for us a non-denominational wedding. We are huge star wars & disney fans. I am trying to find ways to incorporate this into our ceremony in the way of readings or just general flow of the ceremony. Anyone out there have a good outline for a simple & non traditional ceremony to give me a head start? 

Re: Ceremony Help

• My son and his wife had a very simple format for their ceremony.

Prelude
    Processional
    Welcome
    Readings
    Unity Ceremony
    Officiant's Remarks
    Exchange of Vows
    Exchange of Rings
    Presentation
    Recessional

I hope this helps you as a "jumping off" point.  I'm pretty sure you can google ceremony protocols as well.
  • We are having a friend officiate for us a non-denominational wedding. We are huge star wars & disney fans. I am trying to find ways to incorporate this into our ceremony in the way of readings or just general flow of the ceremony. Anyone out there have a good outline for a simple & non traditional ceremony to give me a head start? 
    Please, don't.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Could you maybe incorporate that into the reception instead? 
  • Agreed with PPs.  

That sort of thing belongs in the reception.  

The ceremony should be about you and your fiance becoming husband and wife.  The reception has plenty of opportunities for you to personalize it.

Unless you have a really good quote from one of them that isn't overtly themey, I would stay away from incorporating those into your ceremony.  

I would also not side eye something small like, "Anna and Fi met and bonded over their love of Disney/Starwars" as a small nod to your shared hobbies.  You could also make one of them your "colors" so they would be incorporated into your bouquet/sash/boutonniere instead of being obviously themed, but overall I think you should keep them in the reception.  You can go hog wild with incorporating them over there with centerpieces, colors, names, etc.  

• I would try googling star wars and/or Disney quotes. From there you can see if there's any relevant passages that could be used in their lengthier versions as readings. But only if they're relevant to love/commitment/etc.

I'm not in the camp that believes 100% of a wedding ceremony has to be solemn. But I think if readings start to get too far off topic it gets weird. But my husband promised to always be the Mickey to my Mallory (a Natural Born Killers reference) so maybe I'm not the best at determining "weird." Although it was one of my favorite parts of his vows!

I think you'll find mining the Disney stuff more helpful than the Star Wars. Disney is choc-full of romance and that sort of stuff.

Good luck!
  • While I agree that wedding ceremonies should not be too solemn (this is, after all, supposed to be a happy occasion), neither should there be too much humor and personalization.  It is supposed to join you as a couple legally and perhaps religiously as well as socially so it does have to contain the elements required by law and your religion if it is going to be a religious ceremony.

So instead of trying to "incorporate" either of these themes into your ceremony I'd work them into your reception instead.
  • Have a Mickey Mouse charm hanging from your bouquet.  Your groom can wear Darth Vader cufflinks.  Have one of your readings be part of the lyrics from a Disney song (Candle on the Water from Pete's Dragon comes to mind).  Take your Honeymoon in Orlando.  

There's a thread where several people posted their entire ceremony for stealing.  I helped my sister write her wedding ceremony, so I posted it.  I stole a couple excerpts of other bride's ceremonies to put into my own.  Biggest thing is don't make it cheesy, and don't make it so full of inside jokes that nobody else understands what's happening except for the two of you.
  • I agree with adk19.  Well said.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards