Snarky Brides
Options

I DO ReDo

Not that I want to give this blog more traffic, and I found it on Pinterest (of course!) but...

Submit your wedding day disaster and win a re-do in Las Vegas. Because, you know, planning a wedding and having something go wrong "feels unfair."
Bring your six friends with you for the trip and to watch you and your spouse have a re-do ceremony.

Yippee. 

Re: I DO ReDo

• Options
    We live in such a weird culture.
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • Options
    I'm not going to be a size 6 on my wedding and that's not fair. RE DO.

• Options
    *eyeroll*

Sometimes (well, a lot of times) I think people aren't busy enough or they don't have enough to worry about. FWPs.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    People like that need to gain some perspective. Unless some horrific mega disaster happened that prevented your wedding from even taking place, then you do not need a re-do. The point is to be married to the love of your life. That is what weddings are for. Not for a Disney Princess Perfect Day that, if it's not perfect enough, you're entitled to re-enact. Nope. 
  • Options
    Is it just me or does this package not even seem that great? You can only bring 6 people! Who would want to replace their wedding with something that has the feel of a shotgun wedding. For 14k, I could plan something much better.
  • Options
    smdh

People have too much time on their hands...

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Oooh now I have to watch this thread because I have to know who the resident shit-stirrer is. I've been quasi stalking TK for a few days because work has been crazy boring and I need to look like I'm doing SOMETHING on the computer.... so I feel like I've gotten to know the cast of characters a bit on here (meaning: I've noticed the awesome women who say fuck a lot and always have impeccable spelling and grammar). But I haven't figured out who the resident shit stirrer is yet...
  • Options

Is it just me or does this package not even seem that great? You can only bring 6 people! Who would want to replace their wedding with something that has the feel of a shotgun wedding. For 14k, I could plan something much better.

There is a point to this thread and it appears elusive as this is not it.

• Options
    I also had no idea that small weddings feel like "shotgun weddings". Wow. I guess I learn something new every day.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Oh my God there we go again....self entitled dumb speshul snoflakke assholes. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Dude. My DJ was late. The PA system stopped working during the ceremony. I ripped my dress. My cake fell. The DJ also didn't have my song list. We ran out of time to take all the pictures I wanted. And there's no way I would want a redo because it was the best day ever.
  • Options
    beethery said:

I saw the title on this and this is how I felt in my heart:

Because the resident shit-stirrer is going to show up any time now.
    Sorry to disappoint you but this gets little more than a "meh" from me.

If a company wants to run what I assume will boil down to a marketing campaign (admittedly I'm not heading to Pinterest or reading the article bc I'm getting the gist from the thread) to send six consenting adults to Vegas for any (legal) reason at all, I don't care. (No, I wasn't referring to the re-do as legal, I just meant non-criminal).

As long as I'm not required to pay for it, what people do in Vegas really isn't of interest to me. That includes conventions, blow and hookers, rodeos, binge gambling AND wedding re-dos. I just hope for the winning couple that the company footing the bill springs for an Elvis impersonator to do the honors.
  • Options

Sorry to disappoint you but this gets little more than a "meh" from me. If a company wants to run what I assume will boil down to a marketing campaign (admittedly I'm not heading to Pinterest or reading the article bc I'm getting the gist from the thread) to send six consenting adults to Vegas for any (legal) reason at all, I don't care. (No, I wasn't referring to the re-do as legal, I just meant non-criminal). As long as I'm not required to pay for it, what people do in Vegas really isn't of interest to me. That includes conventions, blow and hookers, rodeos, binge gambling AND wedding re-dos. I just hope for the winning couple that the company footing the bill springs for an Elvis impersonator to do the honors.

Oh, please go over to the Vegas board and tell all the women there planning traditional weddings this. I'm sure they'd love to hear that a wedding there needs an Elvis impersonator or hookers. Come on, let's not insult everyone who chooses Vegas as a destination, mkay? So rude.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    There she is! The phrase caught her attention. Just like always.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    beethery said:
    Frankly, the last thing I want to do is encourage more repulsive responses from her. 

She clearly never hears herself speak.  She said, "As long as I'm not required to pay for it, what people do in Vegas really isn't of interest to me".  And yet, she had NO qualms having her guests spend several hundred, if not thousand dollars, spending their hard earned money under false pretenses.  Couldn't that fall under the heading of (criminal) fraud if people found out? 
  • Options
    mrs4everhartmrs4everhart member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited November 2014
    amelisha said:

beethery said:

Sorry to disappoint you but this gets little more than a "meh" from me.

If a company wants to run what I assume will boil down to a marketing campaign (admittedly I'm not heading to Pinterest or reading the article bc I'm getting the gist from the thread) to send six consenting adults to Vegas for any (legal) reason at all, I don't care. (No, I wasn't referring to the re-do as legal, I just meant non-criminal).

As long as I'm not required to pay for it, what people do in Vegas really isn't of interest to me. That includes conventions, blow and hookers, rodeos, binge gambling AND wedding re-dos. I just hope for the winning couple that the company footing the bill springs for an Elvis impersonator to do the honors.

Oh, please go over to the Vegas board and tell all the women there planning traditional weddings this. I'm sure they'd love to hear that a wedding there needs an Elvis impersonator or hookers. Come on, let's not insult everyone who chooses Vegas as a destination, mkay? So rude.

Edited for lack of boxes-----------------------------

If any of them are being funded for a do-over via a marketing campaign, I'll be sure to mention it.

Otherwise they should probably carry on as they see fit. With, or without, Elvis, hookers or blow. Those items are not mutually exclusive to weddings. Or do-overs. Or Vegas.

But good attempt at trying to find offense at my utter neutrality.
  • Options
    beethery said:

Actually, it was your hope for my appearance that caught my attention. I read through it all with pretty much a meh and a shrug until it became obvious you missed me.

I'm still feeling meh and shruggy (shruggish?) over a for-profit company sending consenting adults to a destination for a do-over. I just can't seem to conjur any fucks to give about it. I'm sure you were waiting for me to give some impassioned rhetoric on the subject but I can't seem to get any feels for some company trying to play the good guy. Yay. That six people get to go on vacation and have fun on that company's dime seems a harmless bonus in my book, but hardly something that requires my ardent defense. I'm not that worried what other people do with their free time, and I don't care if strangers get dressed up and recite vows to each other endlessly.
  • Options
    beetherybeethery member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2014
    Actually, it was your hope for my appearance that caught my attention. I read through it all with pretty much a meh and a shrug until it became obvious you missed me. I'm still feeling meh and shruggy (shruggish?) over a for-profit company sending consenting adults to a destination for a do-over. I just can't seem to conjur any fucks to give about it. I'm sure you were waiting for me to give some impassioned rhetoric on the subject but I can't seem to get any feels for some company trying to play the good guy. Yay. That six people get to go on vacation and have fun on that company's dime seems a harmless bonus in my book, but hardly something that requires my ardent defense. I'm not that worried what other people do with their free time, and I don't care if strangers get dressed up and recite vows to each other endlessly.
    That is some fucking bullshit. If you hadn't seen I DO REDO, you would not have looked at this post. I sure the fuck didn't tag you in it. You see the phrase and run in because it is your bat signal. You've mentioned it, WE KNOW.

And be ABSOLUTELY SURE, beyond a shadow of a doubt: I will not be sad if it finally dawns on me that you've stopped posting. Nobody is going to miss your ass here. Deluded head case.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    Vegas wedding here. Elvis was not involved.

This was our chapel:

Vegas weddings can be beautiful. It's not all drive-thrus and Elvis.

That's gorgeous! :) 

• Options
    Yep, still rude, no "neutrality" to be seen. But thanks.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

This was our chapel:

And even if someone did do a drive-thru wedding with Elvis, it's still more real and deserving of respect than your sham of a "wedding" in Mexico. You have absolutely ZERO room to judge people for having a wedding in Vegas. ZE-RO.
    I've been home ill for the past few days.  I wish I had the energy, or the actual motivation, to scan her posts.  I'm pretty sure at some point she said she actually doesn't waste her time judging people, but admonished all of us for doing so.  She is too busy enjoying her life to waste it judging others.
  • Options
    mrs4everhartmrs4everhart member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited November 2014
    beethery said:
    Frankly, the last thing I want to do is encourage more repulsive responses from her. 

She clearly never hears herself speak.  She said, "As long as I'm not required to pay for it, what people do in Vegas really isn't of interest to me".  And yet, she had NO qualms having her guests spend several hundred, if not thousand dollars, spending their hard earned money under false pretenses.  Couldn't that fall under the heading of (criminal) fraud if people found out? 

This was our chapel:

And even if someone did do a drive-thru wedding with Elvis, it's still more real and deserving of respect than your sham of a "wedding" in Mexico. You have absolutely ZERO room to judge people for having a wedding in Vegas. ZE-RO.

Edited---------boxes and paragraphs. I'm on mobile. FTW----------------- 

You'll have to explain the correlation between my not caring what others do with my judging them? 

Is reading comprehension THAT difficult? Because so far in this thread I've allegedly insulted Vegas weddings. Nope. Said I don't care about Vegas weddings, or wedding do-overs or Vegas in general then listed common occurrences that happen there such as conferences, rodeos, binge gambling. All of which I don't care about equally with weddings in Vegas, original or re-done. It's pretty impossible for me to simultaneously not give a shit about something AND judge something. How does that even work? 

I'd almost allow myself to be offended by someone referring to my wedding as a sham but then I'd be doing the exact thing I advise against: not getting my panties in a twist over anyone else's opinion of it! I was there. I know it was gorgeous and epic and amazing and perfect. That's all it'll ever be for us and those that were there. My memories of that day, of that whole trip, will always be some of the best in my life. Nothing anyone could say could ever change that. 

Yup, y'all would be correct in the assumption I'm generally too busy enjoying life to sit back in judgement of others. And why shouldn't I? How does some couple whose wrecked wedding gets a mulligan paid for by some company adversely effect me? I have real issues in life I can get pissed about. People partying in Vegas doesn't rate. I read lots of threads. Not just this one in particular. No bat signal needed. As I said, I didn't think this particular activity (company sponsored wedding do-overs) needed any defense. It's a harmless marketing campaign not a debate whether have a right to have their legal papers squared away on a different day than their wedding ceremony. That I'll defend. This just doesn't matter. Or it shouldn't anyway.
  • Options
    MagicInk said:
    After actually getting married I've been thinking about re-do's more often.

There was a moment when my wife was signing our marriage certificate and I looked over at her and it hit me. She's my wife. Right now she is signing legally binding paperwork that makes her mine, and I'm going to sign the same paperwork that makes me her's. Forever. We're promising forever. We're signing legally binding paperwork that says we are united. That as far as the government is concerned we are legal spouses. And I remember the wave of emotion that washed over. Just the feeling of absolute fucking joy that she was mine forever and ever.

I could re-do our wedding 50 times but I will never again have that moment. I cannot understand for the life of me, having now been there, how anyone can think the legal part doesn't matter. Or doesn't carry emotion. Or whatever the fuck the reason is for a re-do. 

My wedding was great. I'm sure shit went wrong. Shit usually goes wrong, that's how life works. But damn it at the end of the day we legally promised to be together forever. She got to be my legal wife. How can anything else matter?
    I think the entire above statement is very heartfelt and lovely. I think it's rad that you and your wife were able to get married (legally) in your home state and didn't have to travel to do so, because that's just a bunch of BS. 

With regards to the bolded, I think that's awesome too. To have a moment or moments in one's life that profound are rare and special and amazing. And I 100% stand behind anyone feeling the way you did when you and your wife signed your marriage license. My natural tendency to not judge anyone else's marital arrangement(s) extends equally to this though. Feelings, true, legitimate feelings cannot be conjured and generally cannot (or should not, at least) be applied "on cue." The day we signed our marriage license, it wasn't that it "didn't matter" it just did not have a similar emotional impact on us as it did for you. I think that's totally fair. There were moments of our wedding ceremony that had those types of emotions for us. For me, personally, I think all married couples get to determine the moments, practices, benchmarks, whatever you want to call it, for themselves, that "matter." And by matter, I mean the moments that had a profound or moving reaction for them, not in a flippant or practical sense.

I know you wrote this solely as your opinion based on your experience as a newlywed, and how you view "re-do weddings." But I think it really drove home for me why I have such a visceral, albeit opposite, reaction. I don't have any expectation about or rights to define anyone else's feelings about their wedding/marriage as I think anyone should have about mine. 

I've raised the question many times on here that if "all that really matters is the paper" why does anyone need a secular ceremony (or a dress, or a cake, etc.)? (I said secular because anyone who engages in a religious service of some type can recite the (church mandated) reasons for days). I have yet to get an answer that holds water. It's all good if the marriage license is signed the same day. Verboten if they are not. I'm still trying to figure out why? "Because that's the way we do it in this country" is just not a good enough answer for me. There's lots of things we do here, doesn't make them all right, or fair, or even okay. And if not being down with doing something just because it's the exact same way everyone else does it (for reasons that STILL cannot be explained to me to my satisfaction) makes me a "special snowflake" well, I'm sure there's much meaner names I could be called out on the playground.

At any rate, I still don't care about corporate America sending anyone to Vegas for any reason. Including re-doing a wedding the B&G (B&B/G&G) felt badly about. Good for them. Because life really should be filled with as many moments like the one you described as it possibly can. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards