Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Ceremony Officiant in CT

Hi all, I am getting married in Connecticut next October and neither my fiancee nor I are connected to a church. We are interested in having my fiancee's uncle marry us but we are unsure of how he can go about getting the credentials. Is anyone familiar with how the laws in CT work in terms of online ordination through the Universal Life Church or northernway.org?

Re: Ceremony Officiant in CT

• Options
    You need to call the clerk of court for the county in which you plan to marry. They will be able to inform you if there is a way to have him officiate legally.
  • Options
    They may have changed the laws, but I believe CT didn't allow random people (those not apart of the clergy or justice of peace/ celebrants/ judges) to officiate weddings. 

• Options
    Second for calling the county where you are getting married in to find out their rules. Also a great time to find out their rules about getting a marriage license if you haven't already. I've heard not all states will allow you to go just 1-2 days prior to get your license.
  • Options
    CT is strict on who it allows to officiate weddings.  They have to be either a JP or a religious figure (rabbi, priest, etc).  I would call the town you are getting married in and clarify. 
  • Options
    If there is a nearby United Methodist Church or a Unitarian Church, they are often open to marrying couples that are not members of their congregations.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards