Rhode Island

are you using an event planner?

Hi ladies! Wondering if is worth the $ in my budget to hire an event planner?Here are the things I already have done:
-date/venue (9/26/15-The Dorrance)
-photog
-band
-flowers
-favors
-dress
-make up/hair
-dress
-hotel room blocks

My SIL had an event planner for her wedding in Philly and the day was very organized.  Wondering if it would be worth it for me to hire one to tie up loose ends and be there on the day of to provide everyone w a schedule of events? Thank you in advance for any advice 

Re: are you using an event planner?

• I had a DOC and I thought it was money well spent.  She was one of the first vendors I hired and helped me pick some of my other vendors.  It sounds like you're already in great shape with your vendors.  She helped me plan the timeline for the day of, ran the rehearsal and handled literally everything the wedding day (which meant I had no stress all day).  DOCs aren't for everyone and they can be pretty expensive, but I was really glad I had one.
  • ank you, Ven! Since I really am only looking for someone to pan a timeline the day of, I'm hoping the cost won't be too high. I emiled Erica Resmini events to ge some info.
  • We used Jen Strunk for DOC and she was FANTASTIC.  I'd highly recommend contacting her.  She did my timeline, got everything all straightened out for me on the day, did my set-up and breakdown, managed my vendors, etc etc.  She was crazy affordable and put me totally at ease.  We still keep in touch.  Definitely reach out to her!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thank you, Manda, I will look her up. 
  • Her website is www.jenstrunk.com

I also used her and I'll echo what Manda said.  She was great and we're glad we hired her!
  • Thanks, ladies! Did you have Jen do your save the dates and invites? I'd really like to get my save the dates out in January, but I feel a little behind and don't know if I'll be able to make it happen. 

• I didn't have her do my save the dates because I booked her after they had already gone out, but she did my invites for me.  We were very happy with them and I didn't feel like we paid a fortune either.  She wasn't dirt cheap like a Vistaprint or anything (no designer is), but I felt that we paid a very fair price for what we received.

I honestly don't remember what her timeline was for our invitations but it's only the beginning of December so I don't think you're asking for a miracle if you wanted your STDs to go out sometime in the next month.  Seems pretty do-able to me!
  • Thanks, Jessie! Just a busy time of the year, but I will see! Does she mail everything out to your guest list too or is just in charge of ordering and sending them to me?
  • You're welcome, I'm happy to share info :)

She sent me a big box of invitations that were ready to mail, just needed stamps.  They were already stuffed into the envelopes and everything.
  • Looks like my FI and Mom are against me on the DOC need :(
  • Mine were too.  Actually I was really wary of getting one because I had this idea in my head that it would be this crazy person who'd storm in and try to push me into getting more expensive everything and would run the show and laugh at my silly ideas or judge my smallish budget.  And then I'd read how other brides who had a DOC (not just Jen, but different coordinators/companies) absolutely loved it and kept saying how it was money well spent, and rather than being some wedding nazi their DOC turned into a friend/therapist/advocate.  So I looked into it, just for the heck of it, and ultimately ended up changing our minds.

There are plenty of brides who don't use a DOC and obviously their weddings turn out perfectly fine, but I think if you have it in your head that getting one would be a benefit to you, then you should at least look into it.  Not necessarily book, but at least talk to a DOC and see what they might have to offer.

And FWIW, I've been a bridesmaid in SIX weddings over the last two years (27 Dresses, here I come) and there is absolutely positively no comparison in organization between the 2 weddings who had a DOC, and the 4 that did not.  We're talking relaxed, champagne-sipping brides, vs stressed out, always-looking-at-the-clock brides :-/
  • Hi Ladies,

For those who used Jen Strunk for their DOC, how much did she charge? Just curious.

Thanks!

Keri

• Mine were too.  Actually I was really wary of getting one because I had this idea in my head that it would be this crazy person who'd storm in and try to push me into getting more expensive everything and would run the show and laugh at my silly ideas or judge my smallish budget.  And then I'd read how other brides who had a DOC (not just Jen, but different coordinators/companies) absolutely loved it and kept saying how it was money well spent, and rather than being some wedding nazi their DOC turned into a friend/therapist/advocate.  So I looked into it, just for the heck of it, and ultimately ended up changing our minds.

There are plenty of brides who don't use a DOC and obviously their weddings turn out perfectly fine, but I think if you have it in your head that getting one would be a benefit to you, then you should at least look into it.  Not necessarily book, but at least talk to a DOC and see what they might have to offer.

And FWIW, I've been a bridesmaid in SIX weddings over the last two years (27 Dresses, here I come) and there is absolutely positively no comparison in organization between the 2 weddings who had a DOC, and the 4 that did not.  We're talking relaxed, champagne-sipping brides, vs stressed out, always-looking-at-the-clock brides :-/
    I agree with all of this, but especially the bolded.  I would highly recommend a DOC for anyone who can afford it.

• Check with your venue first.  Most often, your venue likely has a sales manager/GM or other who acts as the DOC.  They'll likely be a good fit for the job as they already want to ensure that your day goes as smooth as possible. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards