Wedding Reception Forum

Overboard, or fun?

Ok, so I'm getting married in June at a wonderful location in South Philadelphia (the American Historical Swedish Museum) and there is an abundance of options in terms of entertaining the guests during cocktail hour.  We get the full museum for our guests to peruse, it's in a cool park setting within walking distance of a pretty lake with some unique historic structures to visit, and there is a ton of outdoor space on the property, as well.  My fiance and I like the idea of having some outdoor games (jenga/corn hole)- we have a VERY DIVERSE guest list, and we think that some guests might prefer that to seeing the exhibits... but is it too much?  Like we're already offering food, booze and a cool museum... but we also don't want to under-utilize the expansive space.  It also seems like a fun touch.  Am I overthinking this, or are outdoor games too much in conjunction with everything else our venue offers?

Re: Overboard, or fun?

• edited December 2014
    I can't really see myself wanting to peruse a museum at a wedding - I'm there to mingle and celebrate with loved ones, not check out exhibits or stroll expansive grounds in my heels. Especially if it's just for cocktail hour. I wouldn't really want to play lawn games in my dress clothes either. I think you're over thinking it.

ETF typo.

• I'm in the "over thinking it" camp.  I went to a wedding a month ago in a a very cool, historical venue with lots of areas to pursue; I instead spent the cocktail hour catching up with other guests and gushing over the ceremony.  I think you're totally fine as is--take this off your list of things to stress out about  :)
    Anniversary

• I tend to believe that guests at a wedding are not looking for games to play.  In my case, if there are interesting exhibits nearby, I might take a look, so it's nice to have that available at your venue.  Mostly, though, I am talking with other guests and gushing about the beautiful bride and what a wonderful life the new couple will have.  Cocktail hour really speeds by, so don't stress.
  • I wouldn't want to play outdoor/lawn games in my dress and heels. 
  • Ok, so I'm getting married in June at a wonderful location in South Philadelphia (the American Historical Swedish Museum) and there is an abundance of options in terms of entertaining the guests during cocktail hour.  We get the full museum for our guests to peruse, it's in a cool park setting within walking distance of a pretty lake with some unique historic structures to visit, and there is a ton of outdoor space on the property, as well.  My fiance and I like the idea of having some outdoor games (jenga/corn hole)- we have a VERY DIVERSE guest list, and we think that some guests might prefer that to seeing the exhibits... but is it too much?  Like we're already offering food, booze and a cool museum... but we also don't want to under-utilize the expansive space.  It also seems like a fun touch.  Am I overthinking this, or are outdoor games too much in conjunction with everything else our venue offers?
    I would file this idea in the "maybe" folder. I don't think it's too much, but it's really not necessary. Also, unless you already have the lawn games, I wouldn't make buying/borrowing/getting them a priority. You'll have enough on your mind! 
  • I wouldn't play any lawn games, especially if I have access to perusing the museum and it's only during the cocktail hour. 
  • I think you are putting effort somewhere that effort isn't needed. Also, something I would consider is that you already have a chance of guests being broken up more, causing less mingling, since they can mosey around the museum. If you provide games outdoors this will separate them further, causing a main area to maybe seem empty? I don't know your venue, but I would want my guests mostly contained within the same area as much as possible, even with them walking around exploring. 

• If you have a large number of guests under 21 I think lawn games are a good idea. 
     As an adult I would drink, dance and maybe look at the exhibits.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• I might wander the museum, but I am Swedish. So that would interest me. BUt no lawn games or wandering to a park.

I stick close to the bar and the snacks.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Haha. I am one of very few people on here that love games at weddings! My bestie had a bunch of lawn games at her wedding and they were a hit. I've also been to multiple weddings at museums and thought they were all awesome and was totally able to master both purusing the exhibits and catching up and mingling at the same time. We had a bunch of entertainment at our wedding including a mariachi band, beer tastings, a man frying churros, a round of pub trivia, and a super weird game of musical chairs meets scavenger hunt that ended in my brother and my DH's coworker dancing in women's heels around a fountain..... so... unpopular opinion here, but I think there's never too much entertainment.  (But I suppose it's a know-your-crowd type deal.)
  • "Peruse" means to look at very closely.

If I'm throwing down at an open bar during cocktail hour, I'm not going to be looking at anything very closely.  Or playing lawn games all dressed up.  I might take a glancing look at a near exhibit or artwork, but certainly no perusing.

But, if you're having a lot of kids/teens, they could enjoy the games.

If you're trying to keep people close together--some people prefer this so the space feels warmer or more of a party atmosphere--this will spread people out more.  I don't tend to stay far from the lounge furniture or bar during cocktail hour.  I want to talk to people, have a few drinks, and be close by when appetizers are passed.
  • People might end up staying close together (near the bar/food) and just talking. I know I'm not going off to look at something or play something more than about 20 feet away during a cocktail hour! Will you be disappointed if no none does any of the things you have planned? 
  •  

"Peruse" means to look at very closely.

If I'm throwing down at an open bar during cocktail hour, I'm not going to be looking at anything very closely.  Or playing lawn games all dressed up.  I might take a glancing look at a near exhibit or artwork, but certainly no perusing.

If you're trying to keep people close together--some people prefer this so the space feels warmer or more of a party atmosphere--this will spread people out more.  I don't tend to stay far from the lounge furniture or bar during cocktail hour.  I want to talk to people, have a few drinks, and be close by when appetizers are passed.

Oh heavens to Betsy, I spelled it wrong. On a message board.

But I didn't use it wrong. Peruse also can mean to look at something leisurely. Or in a cursory manner. As in, I'm drinking this cocktail and chatting with my friends, but also looking at this ancient Egyptian sarcophagus in a cursory and leisurely manner.

• I am with the museum, not with the games. But that is just me, there are those who would like them.

There are always guests who are socially awkward, or don't know many people, or bored, who would love having something to do besides sit or stand with at drink in their hand. The museum would be good for that. Also, give people something to chat about, if they can't think of anything.

• Honestly, corn hole and strolling through a museum just don't go together.  To me those things have two very different feelings.  Also, when you have so many activities people tend to disperse and sometimes are hard to get back all together when you want to be introduced or dinner is ready to start. 

I would just leave out the games and let your guests enjoy each others company, the apps, the drinks and the museum exhibits.

Also cocktail hour is only a hour.  It isn't like these people are going to be stuck waiting on you for 2+ hours and will need loads of entertainment to keep them occupied.

• jenijoyk said:

But I didn't use it wrong. Peruse also can mean to look at something leisurely. Or in a cursory manner. As in, I'm drinking this cocktail and chatting with my friends, but also looking at this ancient Egyptian sarcophagus in a cursory and leisurely manner.

Technically, it still means to look at carefully, not leisurely.  It's just become more widely used both ways because so many people get it wrong.

or

Advertisement (Bad banner? Please let us know Remove Ads
    Share: Cite / link:
    pe·ruse  (pimage-rimagezimage)
    tr.v. pe·rusedpe·rus·ingpe·rus·es
    To read or examine, typically with great care.

[Middle English perusento use up : Latin per-per- + Middle English usento use; see use.]

pe·rusimagea·ble adj.
    pe·rusimageal n.
    pe·rusimageer n.
    Usage Note: Peruse has long meant "to read thoroughly" and is often used loosely when one could use the word read instead, as inThe librarians checked to see which titles had been perused in the last month and which been left untouched. Seventy percent of theUsage Panel rejected this example in our 1999 survey. Sometimes people use it to mean "to glance over, skim," as in I only had amoment to peruse the manual quickly, but this usage is widely considered an error. In a 1988 survey, 66 percent of the Panel found itunacceptable, and in 1999, 58 percent still rejected it.
  • jenijoykjenijoyk member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2014

If people give a word a new meaning, the word has a new meaning.

One of my fave TED talks: http://www.ted.com/talks/john_mcwhorter_txtng_is_killing_language_jk

• jenijoyk said:

Technically, it still means to look at carefully, not leisurely.  It's just become more widely used both ways because so many people get it wrong.

or

Advertisement (Bad banner? Please let us know Remove Ads
    Share: Cite / link:
    pe·ruse  (pimage-rimagezimage)
    tr.v. pe·rusedpe·rus·ingpe·rus·es
    To read or examine, typically with great care.

[Middle English perusento use up : Latin per-per- + Middle English usento use; see use.]

pe·rusimagea·ble adj.
    pe·rusimageal n.
    pe·rusimageer n.
    Usage Note: Peruse has long meant "to read thoroughly" and is often used loosely when one could use the word read instead, as inThe librarians checked to see which titles had been perused in the last month and which been left untouched. Seventy percent of theUsage Panel rejected this example in our 1999 survey. Sometimes people use it to mean "to glance over, skim," as in I only had amoment to peruse the manual quickly, but this usage is widely considered an error. In a 1988 survey, 66 percent of the Panel found itunacceptable, and in 1999, 58 percent still rejected it.
    Are we seriously having an argument/disagreement about this?

• Dear kitty tango,

If you think at least 50% of your crowd likes games, then do games.  I may not play games because I am dressed up but I will walk the museum.  Just realize that not every guest will participate in every activity.  But everyone guest will participate in at least one activity.  So go ahead and have as many activities as you can afford.
  • Sounds like a beautiful place for your wedding!

I would totally play lawn games.  I think you should ask some of your male guests, because they may be more likely to enjoy them.  At most summer BBQs people get excited about lawn games, why not at a wedding?

There's nothing wrong with having the games available; it's not the end of the world if people don't play.  I think it's really tough to predict what people are going to do.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards