Oregon

Beaverton Bakery?/Other Wedding Cake Bakeries?

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for a good place to buy our wedding cake. I'd like to hear about anyone's positive or negative experiences with Beaverton Bakery in particular. (I'm definitely going to meet with Lamb's Thriftway). I'm trying to keep our cake budget around $400-$450 for 150 people, and am willing to buy a sheet cake (in addition to a smaller tiered round cake)  to keep the cost down. I'm not really into cupcakes though. Any other suggestions for bakeries would be great as well.

Also, my fiance likes the idea of having Alotto Gelato at our wedding rather than a traditional cake.  I'm still sorting out whether or not I'd miss having a real wedding cake or not, but if you or someone you know has had gelato (or something similar, like an ice cream bar) at your/their wedding, how was it? Were people disappointed/excited? Was there a huge line?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Beaverton Bakery?/Other Wedding Cake Bakeries?

• thecatergatorthecatergator member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I always recommend Helen Bernhard's in Portland by the Lloyd Center.  Great prices and the taste is fantastic.  They have been around for years.
  • edited December 2011
    I've had cakes from  Beaverton Bakery and they're always quite delicious. However, I do have another place to recommend to you. It's called Baker and Spice and it is located in Hillsdale (bakerandspicebakery.com). I have had two birthday cakes and a retirement party cake from there, all were amazing, and the staff is phenomenal at what they do. Worth checking out their website and contacting the wedding cake person.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the tips, I will look into them both.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    JaCivas! They're over on East Hawthorne... Im going through Timberline, so I don't know exactly their prices, but they've been absolutely amazing to work with!
  • DramaGeekDramaGeek member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't know what it's like anymore, but when we looked into JaCiva's for our wedding 9 years ago, the cake was dry and tasteless and they were on the expensive side.  They also weren't at all open to doing my design and wanted me to choose one from their book.
  • dutchgrl678dutchgrl678 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We went cake tasting at Beaverton Bakery and Helen Bernhard's. We ended up with the second one and loved our cake. Like you we had a sheet cake and a smaller wedding cake and the total was probably around $400 for 130 guests. Since then I've learned that they sponsored measure 69 which was against marriage equality for same-sex couples. If I had known that when we got married, I would have given my business to Beaverton Bakery instead.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

• edited December 2011
    Thanks for the feedback ladies. That is interesting to hear about Helen Bernhardt's; I'm sure their cake is delicious, but I agree that I would rather not have the money I pay my vendor be used to perpetuate marriage inequality.  Good to know, thank you.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • oneyangoneyang member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Helen Bernhard was HORRID. I just got done cake tasting TODAY. Really, their customer service was horrible. First, the lady made such a fuss about delivery. UM, you are a bakery that makes wedding cakes; you deliver, so quit fussing. Sheesh. The cakes were dry and tasteless. I have no idea if they gave us old cake or something, but wow, Freddy's and Safeway have better cake. She was so busy staring at the little kids in line to buy cake. She left us and didn't check on us. It was not what we wanted, so we just got up and left. We tried to talk to her before we left but she was no where to be found.

Beaverton Bakery was stellar. The customer service was SUPERB! They didn't rush us, talked to us when we wanted to be talked at, and had great cake tasting portions. Needless to say, I'm going with Beaverton Bakery.
  • edited December 2011
    We went with Beaverton Bakery (in May of 09) and LOVED our cake. Our experience was awesome. I have a cake picture in my bio. We had 3 different flavors for our 4 tiered cake: white cake with strawberry, a chocolate layer with raspberry, and a tiramisu layer (my FAVORITE). They were awesome to work with, and the cake was delicious. We even took our top layer to HI on our honeymoon.
  • edited December 2011
    Ugh, how annoying that the staff at Helen Bernhard's couldn't even be bothered to say goodbye! Well, I guess that makes it easy to move on to others. Thanks for sharing everyone.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • LindseyLu12LindseyLu12 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I ordered my wedding cake through beaverton bakery about two months ago. I have tried their cakes before and they have alway been delicious! I also had a lot of recommendation to go there. However, when I went in for my cake tasting I felt like I wasn't taken serious or even that I was important to them. When it comes down to it though, I guess I don't really care how they treated me as long as they make my cake how I want and delliver it. lol
  • I grew up with Beaverton Bakery cakes for birthdays, and my family always had great results.  My fiance's family always uses Lamb's.  I have to admit, Lamb's ALWAYS has delicious cakes!!!  Every time I've gone to a birthday or wedding with his side of the family, the cake hs been wonderful.  I'd suggest either of those.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards