Attire & Accessories Forum

Cutting crinoline (puffy stuff) out of dress yourself?

I love everything about my dress except for how puffy it is...

There are about 3 layers of crinoline attached to the skirt. I already went about $200 over my initial dress budget, so I'm trying to spend as little as possible on alterations. Fortunately, the only alterations it NEEDS are a hem and a bustle... so my question is, do I need to get the seamstress to cut out the crinoline for me, or could I just do it myself? Has anyone done this?

Re: Cutting crinoline (puffy stuff) out of dress yourself?

• Well you will need to have the crinoline removed PRIOR to having your dress hemmed.  If you removed it after then the dress will be too long.

Typically you will want to cut the crinoline along the seam of where it is attached to the lining.  I don't believe that the seam is typically taken out unless where the crinoline meats the lining is scratching or itching your legs.  But I would consult your seamstress before you do anything.  If all your seamstress will do is cut away the crinoline I can't imagine that will cost you anything, and if it does it would be super minimal, since it is such an easy process.

Personally if it was me I would let my seamstress do everything.  I don't think I would want to take a pair of scissors to a dress that I just spent a great deal of money on unless I had a great amount of alteration knowledge/experience.

• OP, I'm with Maggie. I thought I wanted a couple layers taken out, but once it was hemmed it looked great. I would be weary of taking out too much because it'll change how the dress will hang. Scale back somewhere else if you need to and get this done professionally. 
  • My seamstress cut my crinoline out. She took scissors, lifted up the dress and just cut it out. It literally took less than one minute. She had a cap for her alterations so I don't know if she would have otherwise charged, but I'd be willing to bet that (depending on the dress) it's such a small thing that most seamstresses wouldn't charge. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • One time I grew my hair really really long so I could donate it to locks of love. On the big hair cutting day I hacked my own ponytail off before going to the hair dresser. 

My hacked hair looked really fabulous and I didn't at all look like I had lost my flipping mind. 

Maybe just go ahead and have the seamstress do it... just saying. 
  • As with @ShesSoCold, my seamstress cut mine out. I think she used one of those tools that rips the seams, it's less risky than using scissors.  You could probably do it yourself, but as mentioned before it may make the dress a bit longer.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards