Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Is this legal?!?!?

I need help! I am getting married in Memphis, TN. I can not imagine anyone besides my big brother officiating my ceremony. I have looked online and found a lot of online ordainments. I just want to know if anyone in Shelby County or Tennessee has done this and is it legal? I don't want to do a City Hall wedding before the actual wedding...Any and all advice is welcomed! Thanks in advance!!

Re: Is this legal?!?!?

• I would contact your local marriage license agency.  They will tell you if it's legal or not.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I tried to call the County Clerk but the lady there wasn't very helpful but that is the best advice. I will just keep calling till I find someone who can answer my question. Thanks for taking the time to reply!! :)

• Yeah unfortunately the only place that can give you a definitive answer is the county clerk in the county where your marriage will take place. The laws vary by county in certain states, so it's safest to get the answer from that office issuing your marriage license.
  • This is the rule in your state. The County can't override it:

• jenijoykjenijoyk member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2014

Oooh. I also found this. Have you seen it?

http://www.ctas.tennessee.edu/PUBLIC/web/ctas.nsf/EntriesWeb/FD133540E4145AD4862570F1006DA1B6/$FILE/Basics+of+Marriage+v1-31-11.pdf

I can't find the attorney general opinions that they reference (they're too old, so they aren't on the state gov website), but (from the publication I linked to above)...

• The last two posts don't really answer the OP's question.  The law states that any "regular minister" can solemnize a marriage.   The question is, are people who are ordained online considered to be regular ministers?  I think this is an important question.  OP, do let us know what you find out.

PS.  I was a St. Mary's girl.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • jenijoykjenijoyk member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2014
    The state law in Tennessee doesn't say it must only be a "regular minister". It says what I posted above. Which includes "other spiritual leader" who is ordained or otherwise designed in conformance with the rules of whatever religion they purport to practice.
  • jenijoyk said:
    The state law in Tennessee doesn't say it must only be a "regular minister". It says what I posted above. Which includes "other spiritual leader" who is ordained or otherwise designed in conformance with the rules of whatever religion they purport to practice.
    Yes, but in some states they sometimes require that "spiritual leader" to be a leader of a congregation for x amount of time to be considered appropriate to officiate a ceremony.  This is why it is always best to talk to an actual person because reading legal mumbo jumbo can and does get interpreted in all kinds of ways.

• I am getting married in Tennessee next year and originally thought Tennessee would not accept Universal Life Church Monastery certifications. I have looked for the opinion cited in this link: http://www.themonastery.org/blog/2012/09/state-of-tennessee-now-accepts-the-ulc-ordination/
    but Tennessee does not have opinions earlier than 2000 online. 

We are planning to have a friend get certified and have him do it. We just feel strongly that he is who we want to marry us. I guess if anyone challenges our marriage later we'll have to do a court house version privately. 
  • I'm a Universal Life minister.  My sister and her husband emailed my certificate to the county courthouse, then they took a copy of my certificate with them when they went to get their marriage license.
  • I don't know if the laws have changed, but a friend of mine got married in Memphis several years ago was told she could not have her ceremony performed by someone ordained online unless they had an actual congregation. I would definitely call the county clerk to check.
    ~*~*~*~*~

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards