Not Engaged Yet

happy Wednesday!

2»

Re: happy Wednesday!

• @Imcooper86 I know! She already gets stressed out easily so I have no idea why she is bringing this upon herself. But she has done some other questionable things for this entire wedding too, so I can't say that I am surprised. The real unfortunate thing is of those 8 people, she is really only close with 4 of us. So I highly doubt people that she used to be close with but isn't anymore are going to stay through this nonsense. 

• @AuroraRose41 I definitely wouldn't take a trip across the country to attend the shower. I would never expect that of any of my BMs if they lived out of state. It's enough for you to show up the day of the wedding in the dress-- anything else is not required. It's sweet of you to even send a gift at this point, especially if she's asking you to foot the bill for the rather expensive invitations. You know, I can't help but laugh too because ALL of the invitations sites had huuuuuge Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales, so she probably could have saved a ton of money if she ordered then. But again, this is something she should have no hand in at all.

@lmcooper86 I'll definitely post some pics :) I'm just nervous that I'll think everything looks too posed, or I won't like how I look, or the angle will be weird, etc. All of my photographer's work that he's posted for other photo shoots is fabulous, so I'm sure I'm being crazy. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Well I just found out some bad news. My company will be laying people off. I found out through a reputable news article. The article says just under 300 people here in SD, and while that isn't even 1% of the total amount of employees here, there are now rumors that I am hearing at work that this is the tip of the iceberg and many more layoffs are to come. 

BF is a wreck. He was laid off at his last company working there for just over a year, and now there is a chance of it happening again. The last company downsized and got rid of everyone in his department regardless of their performance, and the same thing could be happening to ours (same industry). I'm going to go do some serious LSAT studying now. 

• @AuroraRose41 UGH I feel like engineering firms (you work at one, right?) are doing that left and right these days. FI's company has laid off thousands this year and has drastically changed their policies for contract workers (which he is). I guess profits are down everywhere :( I really hope you and your BF come out unscathed.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • AuroraRose41AuroraRose41 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2014
    @eilis1228 it was no problem for me to fly out for an event like that (I wanted to), but with these developments I am rethinking that. Especially now that layoffs are coming at my company, and BF and I are still building up our emergency fund. The layoffs look like they will go into the summer, so now I actually have a good excuse for not being able to spend money on such frivolous things and save up so that if something does happen to me or BF, we are prepared. 

ETA: of course I am prepared to buy the dress (which she never asked for any of our budgets and just picked ones that are about $175) and fly to the wedding in September, but I am not going to be spending money on much else for this event. 

• @eils1228 yup! BF and I are at a company that mostly employs engineers, and it's a pretty big name one too (I won't name it, but similar to Microsoft, Google, etc.). And one that hasn't had layoffs in a long time, if ever. 

• @aurorarose41, ugh. I'm sorry to hear about the layoffs.
  • AlPacinaAlPacina member
    edited December 2014

@AuroraRose41 - I'm so sorry to hear about the layoffs! This seems to be happening at the companies of everyone I know right now, including my BF. I haven't known anyone that actually got laid off though.

ETA: Also, I volunteered to host my first shower solo last year. After spending a bunch on stuff to hand-make invitations, and decorations, and food, I was like "I need someone to help me pay for this." but in the end recited to myself a lot of "I volunteered. That means I'm paying for it. This is on no one but me."....... Why don't people get that?

• AuroraRose41AuroraRose41 member
    edited December 2014
    AlPacina said: @AuroraRose41 - I'm so sorry to hear about the layoffs! This seems to be happening at the companies of everyone I know right now, including my BF. I haven't known anyone that actually got laid off though. ETA: Also, I volunteered to host my first shower solo last year. After spending a bunch on stuff to hand-make invitations, and decorations, and food, I was like "I need someone to help me pay for this." but in the end recited to myself a lot of "I volunteered. That means I'm paying for it. This is on no one but me."....... Why don't people get that? ******************************************
    This. I thought that the bridesmaid that custom designed the invitations was paying for it since she volunteered to "handle them" (her own words). That's why I was so caught off guard. Fortunately with these impending layoffs, I can talk to her FI (who I am also close with) and see how he thinks I should approach this. He is getting his master's now and was hoping to get an offer at my company, so I was able to tell him to do well in the other interview offers that he has gotten and don't hold out for one from mine. He is also very logical and will help her to understand if she gets upset that I
    cannot spend money that needs to be in my savings on a shower if anything happens in the next year. 

ETF: Boxes aren't working, added asterisks to seperate. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards