Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

Formal invitation suite: Some weird paper and envelope related questions

After agonizing over invitations, I think I have finally found some that I really love.

When the company sent me samples, they sent the invitation on an ivory 1-ply paper, but they included paper swatches so that I could also see how heavy the 2-ply paper is. I love the 2-ply. It's very thick and feels lovely. The only difference between the 1-ply and 2-ply papers is the thickness. They match perfectly in color and texture, if that makes sense. The 1-ply is actually also very thick and lovely. It's almost hard to articulate the difference without seeing them  but the 2-ply is essentially so thick that it likely could not be bent in the mail. The 1-ply is thicker than many invitations I've received, so it's still really nice quality.

With that being said, if I do the invitation on 2-ply paper, should the rest of the suite also be on 2-ply paper or should everything else be on 1-ply? (Accommodations card, reception card, reply card)

I was thinking about doing the invitation, accommodations card, and reception card on 2-ply, but leaving the reply card on 1-ply because I'm worried about it being bulky and awkward to write on, but I didn't know if this would look silly.

Also, my second question concerns the formality of the invitation. We are using an ivory paper with a black, letterpressed script. I want to keep it very simple and elegant. Should we include a colored envelope liner (like an opal or a matte gold) or would that cheapen the look? For reference, these are the invitations we are thinking of ordering (and I apologize if you've seen me post them on another forum!):

(Those are the stock photos. That is not our wording, nor will we be specifying a dress code at the bottom, FYI)

Here is a photo of some of their liners:

Thoughts or suggestions are much appreciated!

Re: Formal invitation suite: Some weird paper and envelope related questions

• Options
    Envelopes do not need to be lined.  This is a relatively new thing.  AS for paper weights, I don't know that there is a rule on this.  I would have the reception card (if you are using one) the same weight as the invitation, since it is technically part of the invitation.  Response cards could be anything.  JMHO.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    CMGragain said:
    Envelopes do not need to be lined.  This is a relatively new thing.  AS for paper weights, I don't know that there is a rule on this.  I would have the reception card (if you are using one) the same weight as the invitation, since it is technically part of the invitation.  Response cards could be anything.  JMHO.
    I did not know that about the envelopes! You have never steered me wrong on here, especially concerning invitation related questions, so I am happy to hear that you would not be put off by a different weighted reply card. Thank you for your help!
  • Options
    If people open envelopes like I do (stick my finger in one end of the flap and rip it open) the liners will really go unseen or unnoticed.  While they seem pretty and nice when the envelope is sitting wide open without anything in it, it is one of those things that is silly to spend extra money on.

As for the reception card, I would just do it on the same paper as everything else.  I don't really see how it will be difficult to write on.

• Options
    If people open envelopes like I do (stick my finger in one end of the flap and rip it open) the liners will really go unseen or unnoticed.  While they seem pretty and nice when the envelope is sitting wide open without anything in it, it is one of those things that is silly to spend extra money on.

As for the reception card, I would just do it on the same paper as everything else.  I don't really see how it will be difficult to write on.
    Thanks for the feedback! 

The paper is just sort of bulky and awkward for writing on. It's a cotton paper and the 2 ply is so think it's practically hard to bend. It would kind of be like writing on cardboard---something more suited for a marker. This description is not doing justice to the beauty of the paper, haha. 

My mom made the same comment about the reply cards being too thick without me prompting it which is what made me think twice about it. Maybe it's one of those things that you have to see? Either way, we'll consider doing the same paper weight. Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards