Wedding Etiquette Forum

wedding colors invite??

leahwirthleahwirth member
First Anniversary
edited December 2014 in Wedding Etiquette Forum
Do the invitations have to match the wedding palette or can they be completely different??

Thanks!

Answers

• You can do whatever you want. It's just colors.

• lovesclimbinglovesclimbing member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2014
    They can be completely different.  A lot of people do go with their wedding colors (we did), but it's not necessary.

However, you should make sure your invitations match your wedding in terms of formality. 

For example, you shouldn't use this type of wedding invitation vv if you're having a more formal wedding.

• We didn't use our wedding colors because we used very formal invitations, so we didn't want light blue on them.  You can use your wedding colors, but it certainly isn't necessary
  • No. You can use whatever colors you want.
    *********************************************************************************

• MandyMostMandyMost member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2014
    As said above, your invite doesn't have to match, but your invite is supposed to give people an idea of what the wedding will be like and how to dress (in addition to the time of day and the venue). 

A formal invite makes me think it will be an event where I should wear heels and at least a cocktail dress, if not dressier. And I can expect a seated dinner (even if it's buffet), and some wine and cocktails.

A casual invite makes me think I can wear maybe a sundress (in the summer). And that I can expect a more casual atmosphere overall, like a buffet or casual food like BBQ, and I'll expect to be drinking beer. 
  • We included one line of navy blue text on otherwise black and white invites, which was one of our colors.  (As I type that, I realize it sounds stupid, but I swear, they were nice!)  Like others have said, what's more important is the "type" of invite to match your event.
    Anniversary

• No. You can use whatever colors you'd like. We went with a very simple black & white. 
  • We included one line of navy blue text on otherwise black and white invites, which was one of our colors.  (As I type that, I realize it sounds stupid, but I swear, they were nice!)  Like others have said, what's more important is the "type" of invite to match your event.
    We did the exact same thing! 

Our names were in blue, while the rest of the invitation was black and white. Our colors were black and white so it matched anyway.

• Same as everyone else. We selected ecru invitations with a charcoal gray script (I thought it looked less stark than black personally) because we were planning a more formal event. The rehearsal dinner we planned was very casual though (bbq dinner in my parent's backyard) so I went with something more fun and colorful so people wouldn't feel like they needed to dress up.

• Invitations tend to set the tone for an event, whether its theme, color, formality, etc. That being said, you can do whatever you want!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards