Moms and Maids
Options

Mom not so excited?

My FI and I got engaged when FI had a job. FI no longer has a job and we've had to postpone the wedding. From the get go, my mother hasn't been too excited. I don't think it's felt real to her that I'm getting married. I'm the youngest and I'll be 23 in January. My older sister got married about a year and a half ago. I just want to feel like the bride. She tried to duck out of visiting the venue we are looking at about five times. She just hasn't been supportive. I've asked her to go look at dresses with me just the two of us. I just need something to kickstart feeling like a bride and feeling like she's happy I'm getting married. I've had sit downs with her and she claims she's supportive, but I haven't felt the excitement. I'm really hoping she says yes to dress shopping because I just need something.

Anyone else in a similiar situation?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Mom not so excited?

• Options
    I agree with sb.

While it can make the wedding planning that much more fun when someone close to you shares in the excitement, I think you'll just have to accept that this is how you mother is responding to your upcoming wedding. You'll still be a bride whether she's amped for it or not. Try to focus less on her reactions/what she's showing up to, etc.

----

fka dallasbetch 

Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Options
    After more than 50 years of walking this planet and spending slightly less than that trying to get my mother to be excited for my life events, I realized that it was never going to happen.  I take my support from a group of friends who I have developed over the years and go all out to support friends' and my own children's life events to the fullest.  I finally wrapped my brain around the fact that she was not going to care and stopped trying to make it happen.  My husband (30+yrs) was a GREAT choice and my life has been pretty good.  Her loss.  
  • Options
    She's always been an in between kind of mom. Sometimes she can be supportive and sweet, other times not so much. FI got laid off from a downsizing, not his fault. He's been trying since then to get  a job. He's only been laid off since late May. 

She did agree to go dress shopping with me and has since been sending me a few pictures of dresses. I would say that things are definitely looking up.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    She's always been an in between kind of mom. Sometimes she can be supportive and sweet, other times not so much. FI got laid off from a downsizing, not his fault. He's been trying since then to get  a job. He's only been laid off since late May. 

She did agree to go dress shopping with me and has since been sending me a few pictures of dresses. I would say that things are definitely looking up.

@blackbird230 I hope things stay that way.  Remember - no one in  your life changes how they interact with you because you are planning a wedding.  She will be who she has always been.  Sounds like things are moving along though!
  • Options
    Well, if she supports your decision to get married, I think thats all that truly matters. My mom was incredibly enthusiastic once FI and I got engaged, but when we had to push the wedding back, she kind of lost momentum. I couldn't figure out why, but around September of this year, she started going wedding crazy, providing me with ideas, asking about dress shopping and doing things that showed her excitement about our wedding. 

While I can understand your mother's concerns about your FI being unemployed, he has plenty of time to find gainful employment before your wedding date (aren't you shooting for December of 2016?). As for her lack of enthusiasm, maybe your mom isn't jumping on the wedding planning bandwagon because she believes that there is plenty of time to book venues, interview caterers/DJs/photographers/florists, go dress shopping, look at invitations etc. Your sister's wedding may have set up a time line in terms of planning. Maybe as your date draws closer, she'll get more enthusiastic about the planning, until then, hang in there.

• Options
    The only person other than you that needs to be excited is the groom.  You are having a wedding to spend the rest of your life with this man...not your mother.  I would concentrate on planning your life with your fiance and not focus on your mother.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards