Wedding Woes

HELP - Discontinued Bridesmaid Dress??

I got a call yesterday that the bridesmaid dresses I picked out for my June 6 wedding are being discontinued Jan. 15. After sending out a frantic email to my BMs to place their orderers before Xmas, one of my BMs reached out to me and told me that they had a similar experience for their wedding and it was AWFUL. The dresses took forever to come in and one got hers the day before the wedding.  I am worried because my alterations are pretty extensive (removing a strap and hemming the bottom). Has anyone had a similar experience? the designer is D'Zage by bill Levkoff. Is it better to just find another dress?

Thanks to anyone who responds

Re: HELP - Discontinued Bridesmaid Dress??

• You are doing extensive alterations to the bm dress that is being discontinued?  Pick a new dress.  Unless people have already ordered and put down money. 
  • there's more than 4 (BM) dresses in the world. 
  • what 6 said.

Alterations are expensive, yo. So are BM dresses. I'd be rather annoyed at paying a lot of money for anything beyond hemming a BM dress or critical alterations to make the dress fit.

If you see an outfit and you automatically start thinking about what you need to do to redesign it, it better be at Goodwill for a song, or you really want something else.
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • well maybe I should have clarified -- they are not thet extensive -- a hem and a seam rip to take our one of the straps.
  • if you're worried about timing, get something that doesn't have to be special ordered or significantly altered. 

• It seems there should be a lot of one shoulder dresses out there already.  Are you sure there will still be enough support with just the one strap?

It's been a long time since I've bought a BM dress.  How long did the shop say it would take? Was the other experience with this shop or just with a discontinued dress?  I don't know it just seems like an annoyance.

• IMO if you have to do anything other than a hem, find a new dress... 

• If you're worried about timing b/c of discontinuation based on someone else's experience, yes it's better to get a new dress.  However: was this the same company?  Was this the same bridal shop?  Have you spoken to the bridal shop to get their opinions?  Is there any guarantee on delivery date?  Etc, etc.  Not all experiences are shared.

No seamstress/tailor in town will give you a day turnaround on alterations.  And on a BM dress, I wouldn't hand it to just any family member/friend to try and do.  Fabric is going to matter on hems and ripping out  a seam and putting it back together is actually not a simple alteration.  That one is something that is really easy to make look bad; it takes skill to do that.
  • Whoa; it's like six months out from the wedding and you already picked the BM dress and want them to order it?  Did you ask each BM their budget in private and stick to the smallest budget?  Did you get input from your BMs when choosing the dress (ie. one might find the fabric irritates their skin, or another might want the two straps because big boobs need straps)?
  • @Doeydo sometimes you have to go 6 months in advance because it takes 4 months for the dresses to come in. Such was the case in every wedding I've been a maid in, and including my own wedding that will be in May. My girls were told by the shop to order their dresses no later than by Thanksgiving. Also, it gives them time to get anything altered if they need it.

• doeydo said:
    Whoa; it's like six months out from the wedding and you already picked the BM dress and want them to order it?  Did you ask each BM their budget in private and stick to the smallest budget?  Did you get input from your BMs when choosing the dress (ie. one might find the fabric irritates their skin, or another might want the two straps because big boobs need straps)?
    We were also told to order six months out. I didn't get the idea that it's that uncommon.

Also, I'm not trying to be rude, but she is asking a question about a discontinuing dress. Is everyone is obligated to cover their bases in every single post and clearly denote that yes, they politely asked their BMs privately about their budgets/preferences/etc., when the OP is asking about an unrelated topic? This isn't a money/etiquette question here.
  • We just let everyone choose their own dresses to avoid the drama of ordering, altering and budgets. Everyone looked awesome.

• doeydo said:
    Whoa; it's like six months out from the wedding and you already picked the BM dress and want them to order it?  Did you ask each BM their budget in private and stick to the smallest budget?  Did you get input from your BMs when choosing the dress (ie. one might find the fabric irritates their skin, or another might want the two straps because big boobs need straps)?
    We were also told to order six months out. I didn't get the idea that it's that uncommon.

Also, I'm not trying to be rude, but she is asking a question about a discontinuing dress. Is everyone is obligated to cover their bases in every single post and clearly denote that yes, they politely asked their BMs privately about their budgets/preferences/etc., when the OP is asking about an unrelated topic? This isn't a money/etiquette question here.
    Stores will tell you anything to get you to buy, IMO.  
    If someone posts and I get a possible SS vibe, then yes I am going to ask those types of questions.  Maybe no one even knew about or tried on this dress in person and now OP is expecting them to buy it.  

Anywho, have any your bridesmaids already ordered the dress?  Perhaps you could post a picture of the dress you are interested in and we could find similar dresses. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards