Wedding Invitations & Paper

Printing Envelopes

I am helping my FSIL with her invites. We are planning on having addresses printed and a return address printed on the back flap (A9). My printer at home won't print thick envelopes without getting stuck halfway, which is the type she wants. I have an older HP inkjet. Is there a setting I need to change? I have word 07 for mac. The other option is just to get them printed somewhere. Is a place like Staples or Office Depot somewhere that would do a good job? Or are there other places I should look at. We need about 275 outer envelopes done and are in the Chicago area. Thanks!!

Re: Printing Envelopes

• That is a lot of envelopes!

I would check office stores and also FedEx/Kinkos to see if they can help you out.  My friend had a few things printed for her wedding at Kinkos (programs and favor cards) and it only cost her like $20 total for 300 items.  I would rather leave it up to the professionals then possibly waste envelopes and ink trying to do it myself, especially for that many.

I would talk to the office store (bring in an envelope) about what format you should use and that you will be putting all the addresses into a Word document.  Also show them the envelope and they should be able to tell you if the paper will work with their equipment.

• Becky D. said:
    I am helping my FSIL with her invites. We are planning on having addresses printed and a return address printed on the back flap (A9). My printer at home won't print thick envelopes without getting stuck halfway, which is the type she wants. I have an older HP inkjet. Is there a setting I need to change? I have word 07 for mac. The other option is just to get them printed somewhere. Is a place like Staples or Office Depot somewhere that would do a good job? Or are there other places I should look at. We need about 275 outer envelopes done and are in the Chicago area. Thanks!!
    Sorry I can't help.  I am just amazed about the size of the wedding (doesn't 275 envelopes mean over 500 people?)  Wow!  Sounds like fun though!
  • OMG! The idea of putting so many envelopes through my printer is causing anxiety. You know those things always malfunction when you need them the most.

• When I worked at Staples, we wouldn't print envelopes. It was a company policy because of the contracted equipment; we could only put approved papers into the machines.

We printed our envelopes too. My FI and I took them to his work and used one of their high-capacity printers. If that's an option for you, it might be worth looking into.

As far as settings on your printer go, do you have different choices for the media in the printer properties? You shouldn't have to have it set to "envelope" if you're using an envelope template in Word. If your printer properties have a "thick 2" or "thick 3" option, try that. It should set the rollers a little further apart to keep them from getting jammed. If it's a very old printer  it may not be able to, but it wouldn't hurt to check.
  • Maybe see it is something you can do at work, my home office printer (brother 8480) will print thick envelopes but my hp photo printer gets jammed up if you try to print anything thicker than card stock. Most commercial printers use toner too. Toner only prints black but 275 envelopes won't even make a dent in the cartridge. Obviously check with your boss first.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards